4 Years Ago Today....

Guest GentleHugs

Guest GentleHugs

It was a beautiful day for a walk in the neigborhood. I was a new Greyhound mom to a gorgeous girl. She was a light fawn brindle with those *eyes* that could melt anyone's heart. She was gentle, quiet and was afraid of our house bunnies. She was returned by a family that had adopted her when she was just a puppy so she never entered the racing circuit. They had her for over 2 years before deciding their youngest son was afraid of large dogs so they gave her up to our old adoption group.

I had been waiting and researching for over 6 months for the right Grey to come into our lives and finally that call came. We have the perfect dog for you and your family they said. Hannah was her name. Something told me that she was the one for us without ever laying eyes on her. I had a greyt Aunt that was a twin named Hannah. My greyt Aunt Hannah and her twin Anna was born on the boat coming over from Europe many many years ago. Aunt Hannah was a very quiet but beautiful person inside. She ended up with many health problems throughout her years growing up and finally passed away from throat cancer when I was a teenager. I missed my Aunt Hannah telling stories about when she was growing up. I knew Hannah the Greyhound came to me for a reason and so I adopted her within seconds of her eyes meeting mine.

Hannah was small dog safe, cat safe, afraid of bunnies (inside and outside), quiet, gentle - well, everything you would imagine a Greyhound to be like. She went everywhere with me and I fell deeply in love with her.

But tragedy struck May 25, 2000 when we were on one of our walks. Hannah was attacked by two loose dogs. Although I still can't remember how I managed to drive to the vet's office, panic stricken and shaken, we arrived with a team of vets and vet techs waiting for us. While they stabilized Hannah, the desk clerk almost called an ambulance for me, too. I escaped getting injured by the two loose dogs but the shock of witnessing them attacking Hannah was almost too much for me to handle. I was white as a ghost, shaking all over, crying hysterically and couldn't speak. I stayed by Hannah's side until she was taken into surgery vowing to her that I would make sure the owner of the two dogs would be found and prosecuted. I managed to get the words *I love you* out many times holding her paw and stroking her face.

The surgery went well and she was expected to recover but just to be on the safe side, she was assigned a vet tech to stay beside her until 11pm that night. Dr. Cupp (the orthopedic surgeon), checked on Hannah around midnight and she was continuing to do well. He decided to leave and get some rest with the intention of coming back around 5am.

At 3am, I was awakened by a horrible dream. I could see Hannah running free in a beautiful meadow next to a babbling brook and just as happy as could be. I was dripping in sweat and my heart kept telling me something was wrong. I couldn't wait to call the hospital when daylight broke.

At 7am, shaking and knowing something wasn't right, I made the call to the hospital. A lady answered and quickly told me *Just a moment, I'll get Dr. Cupp for you*. That awful horrible feeling came over me when I heard Dr. Cupp's voice. *I'm so sorry Therese but Hannah passed away sometime during the night after I left at midnight. Apparently, she had an embolism.* I hung up the phone and fell to the floor in tears. I failed her. I could have done something to prevent that dog attack. Why did I have to walk that way? I could have went another way. I also realized I didn't even have a picture of her - not one. I recalled the horrible dream that woke me up at 3am and knew that was Hannah telling me she was safe and painfree at the bridge.

To make a long story short, I found the dogs and the dog's owner. I had them prosecuted in court, winning my case for Hannah but it still didn't bring Hannah back.

Months after the case was over, I was still feeling the grief, the pain and the guilt over Hannah's death. Then one day, a note came in the mail with a picture. It was from our old adoption group president and the picture was that of Hannah. She was cleaning house one day and found the picture she took of Hannah when Hannah was first placed in her care. It wasn't the best picture of Hannah but it was the only picture of Hannah. It now sits on my fireplace mantle in a special frame to protect it from harm and to remind me that every Greyhound that passes through my home and my care is to be protected at all times no matter what.

Since Hannah's death, I've posted every year during May to the GH L a reminder to everyone to be aware of your surroundings. It was a promise I made to Hannah May 25, 2000. So far I've kept that promise and intend on keeping that promise until the day I leave for the bridge.

Hannah taught me so much in such a short time that I went on to foster Greyhounds with special needs. I also adopted 4 special needs Greyhounds after her. Each Greyhound that has entered my home and care, I tell them the story of Hannah. It's strange how they all gather around and lie down around me, listening to me, when I start telling Hannah's story but they do. It's almost like they know it's a special story about a very special Greyhound and Hannah was indeed a very special Greyhound........

Hannah in the arms of Angels at the bridge........and forever in my heart.

Hannah Catherine Skinner

June 1997 - May 2000

Gentle Hugs,

Therese

Mom to Angel Hannah, Angel Romeo, Jackie, Heisman and Ashley

Guest BrockGusDad

Therese, how courageous of you to relive that nightmare so that others might be spared.

Hannah is indeed proud........

Bless you...Bless Hannah. I know she looks down upon you with love from the Bridge. I am so sorry! :f_pink:f_whitef_yellow:f_red

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Thank you for sharing your tragic story. It's obvious that even though Hannah was only with you a short while she loved and was loved very much. :grouphugf_yellow

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest KyGrey

What a wonderful tribute to a beautiful girl. Thank you for sharing your story so that others might stay safe and free from injury.

how awful...I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweet Hannah :f_white

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest WuvMyIggy

Thank you for sharing Hannah's story with us. I am sure that she will be waiting for you at the bridge, and she will be so proud of her mamma :f_pink

Guest Greymom

I know how hard it was reliving those memories, but thank you for sharing with us. Prayers to you. Hannah is running free, waiting for you. :hope

Guest Snowy8

Therese thank you for sharing your story of love. I know that has to hurt to bring up those memories. It is so sweet how our puppers gather around us when we tell them stories. Its like they want to absorb so much of us.

Hannah sounds like one of those you just want to keep safe inside your heart. Much love & prayers are going to you for you to continue to be an advocate for Hannah & the greyhounds.

:f_red:gh_lay

Guest how888

What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful gentle soul.Hannah's memories will stay tucked away forever in your heart.I feel your pain. With heartfelt sympathy :f_pink:f_pink

Guest Sheri

Thank you for sharing you story. It is something I have

never thought of that happening. So sorry for your loss

but thank you for the warning. :angelwings

Thank you.

:weep:grouphugf_yellow

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest GentleHugs

Thanks everyone for your kind words and cyber hugs. Even though Hannah was with me only 3 short weeks, her spirit will be with me for eternity.

I've had several people email me privately telling me thank you for the warning. I've heard about several loose dog attacks around this time of year before and it never ceases to amaze me of how fast they can happen. Just be careful out there walking your precious babies and be aware of your surroundings - in front of you, to the sides of you and behind you, too.

Sending my prayers and hugs to everyone else out there that has lost a precious loved one.... it never gets any easier.

GentleHugs,

Therese

with Heisman, Jackie and Ashley (Angels Hannah and Romeo)

http://cafeshops.com/heismansghart/

I'm so sorry for your loss. It always makes me sad and angry to hear about loose dogs, and to see them in my neighborhood. What an awful way to lose such a sweet young pup. I don't know if it will help you, but I found this sonnet and read it to my first greyhound the day he died:

Mindful of you the sodden earth in spring,

And all the flowers that in the springtime grow,

And dusty roads, and thistles, and the slow

Rising of the round moon, all throats that sing

The summer through, and each departing wing,

And all the nests that the bared branches show,

And all winds that in any weather blow,

And all the storms that the four seasons bring.

You go no more on your exultant feet

Up paths that only mist and morning knew,

Or watch the wind, or listen to the beat

Of a bird's wings too high in air to view,--

But you were something more than young and sweet

And fair,--and the long year remembers you.

And, since Hannah left so long ago, and yet your grief is so raw:

Time does not bring relief; you all have lied

Who told me time would ease me of my pain!

I miss him in the weeping of the rain;

I want him at the shrinking of the tide;

The old snows melt from every mountain-side,

And last year's leaves are smoke in every lane;

But last year's bitter loving must remain

Heaped on my heart, and my old thoughts abide!

There are a hundred places where I fear

To go,--so with his memory they brim!

And entering with relief some quiet place

Where never fell his foot or shone his face

I say, "There is no memory of him here!"

And so stand stricken, so remembering him!

Edna St. Vincent Millay

Edited by joesgreypoupon

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)

Thank you for sharing Hannah's story.

My heart goes out to you--I too believe that we will be with them again someday.

Laurie

**& Angels Emily, Beatrice, Okie, Rhemus ,Vixen, and Rose-always in my heart**

Guest MomofCash

Thank you so much for sharing Hannah's story ... she sounds like she was a wonderfully, loving sweetheart and I know you must miss her tons. Run free Sweet Hannah ...

How awful :cry1

That was a lovely tribute, and I find it so moving that you dreamed of her running free in a meadow - probably at the time she died. You and she shared something special.

Try not to feel guilt. There wasn't anything much you could have done at the time. Maybe you could have carried Direct Stop, but how were you to know? I don't carry it, because it isn't available here - we just have to be vigilant and hope for the best.

If it happened to my 'babies', I'd be just as much of a mess as you were.

:bighug:bighug:bighug

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

That was beautiful! Hannah is truly blessed for having known you!

This is something that scares me every time I walk out my front door. Especially because of the area I live in. Often I find myself carrying a blunt object (stick or branch), just in case. I really don't want to have to deal with what many of you have had to. It hurts to read about this happening to others, and it's not something I'd wish on anyone! The pain is just too great!

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.