4 Years Ago Today....

Guest GentleHugs

Guest argolola

I'm so sorry for the loss of your precious one. Thank you for sharing your story so that we may be made more aware of the dangers of dogs off leash.

God bless you and your family.

• 5 months later...

I am pretty new here ,and and understand your loss. May I ask what Hannah's race name was and Romeo who? I am looking for Vic's lil Romeo and E's Hannah

It was a beautiful day for a walk in the neigborhood.  I was a new Greyhound mom to a gorgeous girl.  She was a light fawn brindle with those *eyes* that could melt anyone's heart.  She was gentle, quiet and was afraid of our house bunnies.  She was returned by a family that had adopted her when she was just a puppy so she never entered the racing circuit.  They had her for over 2 years before deciding their youngest son was afraid of large dogs so they gave her up to our old adoption group.

I had been waiting and researching for over 6 months for the right Grey to come into our lives and finally that call came.  We have the perfect dog for you and your family they said.  Hannah was her name.  Something told me that she was the one for us without ever laying eyes on her.  I had a greyt Aunt that was a twin named Hannah.  My greyt Aunt Hannah and her twin Anna was born on the boat coming over from Europe many many years ago.  Aunt Hannah was a very quiet but beautiful person inside.  She ended up with many health problems throughout her years growing up and finally passed away from throat cancer when I was a teenager.  I missed my Aunt Hannah telling stories about when she was growing up.  I knew Hannah the Greyhound came to me for a reason and so I adopted her within seconds of her eyes meeting mine.

Hannah was small dog safe, cat safe, afraid of bunnies (inside and outside), quiet, gentle - well, everything you would imagine a Greyhound to be like.  She went everywhere with me and I fell deeply in love with her.

But tragedy struck May 25, 2000 when we were on one of our walks.  Hannah was attacked by two loose dogs.  Although I still can't remember how I managed to drive to the vet's office, panic stricken and shaken, we arrived with a team of vets and vet techs waiting for us.  While they stabilized Hannah, the desk clerk almost called an ambulance for me, too.  I escaped getting injured by the two loose dogs but the shock of witnessing them attacking Hannah was almost too much for me to handle.  I was white as a ghost, shaking all over, crying hysterically and couldn't speak.  I stayed by Hannah's side until she was taken into surgery vowing to her that I would make sure the owner of the two dogs would be found and prosecuted.  I managed to get the words *I love you* out many times holding her paw and stroking her face.

The surgery went well and she was expected to recover but just to be on the safe side, she was assigned a vet tech to stay beside her until 11pm that night.  Dr. Cupp (the orthopedic surgeon), checked on Hannah around midnight and she was continuing to do well.  He decided to leave and get some rest with the intention of coming back around 5am.

At 3am, I was awakened by a horrible dream.  I could see Hannah running free in a beautiful meadow next to a babbling brook and just as happy as could be.  I was dripping in sweat and my heart kept telling me something was wrong.  I couldn't wait to call the hospital when daylight broke.

At 7am, shaking and knowing something wasn't right, I made the call to the hospital.  A lady answered and quickly told me *Just a moment, I'll get Dr. Cupp for you*.  That awful horrible feeling came over me when I heard Dr. Cupp's voice.  *I'm so sorry Therese but Hannah passed away sometime during the night after I left at midnight.  Apparently, she had an embolism.*  I hung up the phone and fell to the floor in tears.  I failed her.  I could have done something to prevent that dog attack.  Why did I have to walk that way?  I could have went another way.  I also realized I didn't even have a picture of her - not one.  I recalled the horrible dream that woke me up at 3am and knew that was Hannah telling me she was safe and painfree at the bridge.

To make a long story short, I found the dogs and the dog's owner.  I had them prosecuted in court, winning my case for Hannah but it still didn't bring Hannah back.

Months after the case was over, I was still feeling the grief, the pain and the guilt over Hannah's death.  Then one day, a note came in the mail with a picture.  It was from our old adoption group president and the picture was that of Hannah.  She was cleaning house one day and found the picture she took of Hannah when Hannah was first placed in her care.  It wasn't the best picture of Hannah but it was the only picture of Hannah.  It now sits on my fireplace mantle in a special frame to protect it from harm and to remind me that every Greyhound that passes through my home and my care is to be protected at all times no matter what.

Since Hannah's death, I've posted every year during May to the GH L a reminder to everyone to be aware of your surroundings.  It was a promise I made to Hannah May 25, 2000.  So far I've kept that promise and intend on keeping that promise until the day I leave for the bridge.

Hannah taught me so much in such a short time that I went on to foster Greyhounds with special needs.  I also adopted 4 special needs Greyhounds after her.  Each Greyhound that has entered my home and care, I tell them the story of Hannah.  It's strange how they all gather around and lie down around me, listening to me, when I start telling Hannah's story but they do.  It's almost like they know it's a special story about a very special Greyhound and Hannah was indeed a very special Greyhound........

Hannah in the arms of Angels at the bridge........and forever in my heart.

Hannah Catherine Skinner

June 1997 - May 2000

Gentle Hugs,

Therese

Mom to Angel Hannah, Angel Romeo, Jackie, Heisman and Ashley

792883[/snapback]

Guest adriahna

My thoughts, and thanks, are with you. How wonderful of you to turn such a horrible experience into an important advocacy opportunity - a most appropriate way to honor your Hannah's memory. My many, many thanks to you.

Thank you, I too witnessed my first greyhound being attacked in my own back yard by a stray Akita.

Thank you so much for being brave & strong & continuing to share your story...I know how broken hearted you are.

Hannah is watching over you. :f_pink:gh_lay

Guest AmberDMC

I'm just reading this story now... thank you so much for sharing it.. how tragic. Thank you also for the reminder, it's something I do not think too much about, but will now :cry1

I've read the story three times between yesterday and today, then told it to my sister over the phone earlier, then read it to my wife tonight. Still, it was so hard to keep my voice steady as I read it to her.

What an incredible story. I've been thinking this evening about what sort of preparation would be suitable for such an attack. Whether that citronella spray (Direct Stop) would be adequate, or something else.

How about a stun gun? Then again, maybe just walk softly and carry a big stick.

These sound like extreme measures but when I think of what's at stake here, it doesn't seem so extreme. Amazing how irresponsible some owners can be, letting their dogs run around without close supervision.

Edited by Obi

Guest GreytEssentials

Such a sad tale, but the words " I failed her" are not true. You stayed by her side and loved her (still do), you remember her to yourself and to us. You never failed her in any way.

God speed little one, and always remember the true love your mom had for you when you were here with us.

Thank you for your love to the little ones that need it the most...God Bless.