Bathing Your Grey(s)

Guest sheila

how often do you bathe your greys(s)  

588 members have voted

1. 1. how often do you bathe your greys(s)

• never
    • yearly
    • bi-yearly
    • monthly
    • weekly
    • only when they need it
    • other (please explain)

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine comes in the shower with me once a week - he loves it!

1607703[/snapback]

if you are bathing weekly, what kind of shampoo are you using? I dont want to dry out Tanners skin...

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest FatCatSkinnyDog

This is kinda funny.. we gave Rajah his first home bath last night. The first was one pro and he wasn't too happy. But last night after we towled him off and gave him a cookie he was pretty energetic, racing around vacuuming up all the crumbs. It was pretty bizarre. I'm thinking bath is going to be maybe once a month rather than whenever he needs it as I originally voted.

• 5 months later...
Guest AnnesMenagerie

I voted 'when they need it' - which usually works out to once or twice a year - usually because they get doggy-smell or really muddy.

I'll hose down their legs and belly if they get muddy at the dog park sometimes; sometimes I have to use a baby wipe on Jack's front legs when he pees on himself (or on Molly's head when he pees on her :P).

Guest TBSFlame
I selected "yearly" although I sometimes have to give one or two of mine (I have 5 total) a second bath during the year.

All of my Greys do TONS of PR work (mostly at long, multi-day outdoor events like Renaissance Festivals), so I like them to look good for the public.

Mik

I do the Renaissance Festival here in NC with Star. Last year a lady bent over to pet her and dumped a strawberry shake on her head. She needed cleaning up after that one. :lol

Guest GreyhoundTrish

Um, I've never bathed mine, but think I'll give them a nice spring bath on a warm day. The Petco in midtown has the self-service doggie baths. So I wouldn't have to do it in the apartment. Of course then I'd have wet dogs in the car....:(

Guest lakeshel

hhhmm, it seems as though I'm part of a smaller group that voted bi-weekly baths. due to having some bad allergies to dogs/cats, my husband and i our very clean clean people. sometimes they can get a bath from bi-weekly to monthly depending upon the levels of allergies, and the pups coming home all dirty from the doggy parks. i do have to say who ever came up with baby wipes makes out not only from mommy's, but from myself for the pups and traveling. we also have their nails about bi-weekly to monthly (normally the front paws mostly need it since they wear the backs well). just getting into a schedule we can predict but also they can.

The only one of ours who has ever had a bath is Stanley and that was because he needed to be shampo'd with special shampoo when he had itchy skin.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest jsullysix

i chose "other" b/c i give charlie a bath every couple of months. she never stinks, but sometimes she gets a little oily (i notice it on my hands after i pet her for a while). after she's dried off, she feels SO soft and nice that i resolve to bathe her a little more often. i gave her one yesterday, and she feels so nice and soft!

i also was regularly giving her epsom salt foot soaks (for pemphigus issues), and she's so used to the bath tub now, she'll get in on her own! i guess breaking up a few cookies and giving them to her while in the tub helps, eh? :D

sully

They may not look dirty, but check out their bath water. It will be filthy!

you said it! man, that tub was nasty! those clorox tub cleaners (kinda like swiffer for the tub) are wonderful!

• 1 month later...
Guest Leilani

All the time. Weekly. More than weekly. Any time they get dirt or sand on them. That happens a lot in Florida, which has this DISGUSTING BLACK SAND that makes them turn a dingy gray color and it stays for days/weeks until you bathe it out, is like dust, and turns your bedding and clothes gray. This dust crap is way worse than mud up north that dries them comes off with a brushing. It's like black chalk that grinds into their coat. Grooming on top of this chalky filthe just breaks the Borzoi's coat and spread it deeper into the short haired dogs.

I literally pretty much bathe my dogs every time they lie down outside in the dirt... I generally don't let them unless it's on grass. I have to, or my house would be filthey and I'm a clean freak. Thank God I have no yard ;) And we do most of our free running in a field with good grass! They get a ton of exercise, so I do a ton of bathing and grooming. I would say they get bathed on average of 3-4 days a week and rinsed down with plain water pretty much daily.

Beach sand is different- much less disgusting and powdery than "normal" Florida dirt sand. Beach sand I rinse out then brush.

If you have one of those Florida St Augustine grass plush lawns then you may not have this problem, but if you go to dog parks or don't have a manicured lawn- YUCK!

I use Suave Shampoo for humans, it's 99 cents a bottle. I go through one every week. My dogs have amazing skin and coats, no problems. Lani did when I got her but it's already cleared up. I think being clean promotes healthy skin and coat for sure.

If they're really nasty, or if I see a flea :eek then they get washed with DAWN first :)

Guest xandersmom

When Xan smells "like a dog", he gets a bath. Generally this happens about once every 3 or so months. I use baby-wipe-like products when he pees on his foot/leg. those boys!

and i use human shampoo for Xander. new fosters get doggie shampoo for the first bath. i dunno why, but it's what i've always done. :)

Edited by xandersmom

Guest jeffandkira

OK I am a little nervious to answer this one since I got a little bit of a reprimand from my adoption group for washing Riot.....I know they didnt mean any harm, but Riot likes to ROLL in the grass and he gets so dirty. We also have bad allergies so if you can pat your dog and dust comes flying off......it's time for a bath! We bath our min pin every other week because she has some skin issues...........it seems Riot needs a bath about once a month....he loves the tub. We use this Papaya and oatmeal shampoo made for dogs and cats. And we use a oatmeal conditioner which he loves because we have to massage it into his skin with one of those nubby grooming mitts.....he moans everytime it is HILARIOUS. His coat is already so much nicer since the first day we got him. He is so SHINEY! We dont want to get yelled at for bathing him to much......but his skin looks great, coat looks great and we use safe shampoo..

We also use sensitive skin moisterizing baby wipes for when he pees on his legs :puke or steps in poo when we got out for walks.

Guest jeffandkira

OMG I meet a lady over the weekend with 4 greys and I stopped to talk and pet the dogs.....when I ran my hands down their backs I could feel the dirt on my hands and when I looked at my hands they were so dirty. I could not believe she let her dogs get that dirty.

Guest SYMBASMOMMY

In the wintertime, we only bathe Symba once when the weather got above 70 degrees....I didn't think he looked dirty but you should have seen how black the bath water was....now, in spring and summer probably once a month since he is outside more often and it is warm so he can dry quicker too!!! :unsure

Edited by SYMBASMOMMY

Guest jeffandkira

Now that the weather is nice (in the 80's!) Riot has cabin fever and wants outside. He lays under a shade tree and watches the birds and squirrels and rolls in all the pollen balls on the ground......getting nice and dirty for mom and dad.....

Dallas and Lizzie get baths every 3 weeks or sooner if they smell, are oily, or are just plain dirty :)

Kim, mom to Reno (Slatex Reno), sister to Daffy (Bally's Flack), Ashley and Sue (racing names unknown), and Bridge kids Strider (7/28/94-4/16/05), RW's Dallas (12/17/98- 06/26/2010), Odd Taylor (aka Lizzie), JC's Curfew (4/6/2005- 4/22/2010), Winnie(Pooh Bear)my heart dog, and Rocky the beagle