Bathing Your Grey(s)

Guest sheila

how often do you bathe your greys(s)  

588 members have voted

1. 1. how often do you bathe your greys(s)

• never
    • yearly
    • bi-yearly
    • monthly
    • weekly
    • only when they need it
    • other (please explain)

Guest AlabamaGrey

Greys really are low maintenance! I didn't vote since I don't have a grey, but I bathe Bridget about every week. I use J&J Baby shampoo with lavender. I figure if it's gentle enough for a baby it should be gentle for her. Bridget gets in the shower with me (my friends think that's gross) so a bath is not a big deal for us. She loves the spray on her face!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Silent Orchid

I usually bathe my girls every couple of months - mainly because they have a tendency to get quite muddy and smelly (one likes to roll - where does she find these smells?!?). I use a very mild shampoo so they have never had dry coats or any skin problems.

I voted as needed. Max has been home since June 8 and was bathed when he came home. I am thinking he is going to need a "day spa" experience soon, with bath and nails.

I voted for only when they need it. Both Katie Z and Prince only get a bath once a year or when they start to get a little stinky. Over the summer we had the kiddie pool out so they went in that, then they chased each other around the yard to dry off.

Sarah, mom to Stella and Winston . And to Prince, Katie Z, Malone, Brooke, Freddie, Angel and Fast who are all waiting at the Bridge!

www.gpawisconsin.org

Guest warpsfalcon

One on my boys has a skin problem and he requires bathing once a month. Because he gets a bath everyone else does as well. Mine are really good about bathing (I guess they're used to it). I've been using Dr. Hypo's shampoo for sensitive skin for my hounds. It works really well and produces a soft and shiny coat almost instantly.

-Jeff

• 1 month later...
I bathe Alina during her big summer shed, but that's to get as much loose hair as possible,

Only outside n the summertime because Zahara won't go into a bathtub willingly and my back is not strong enough to deal with a scared greyhound.

Guest Jess_Hank

As they need it here - Jess has had 1 bath, right when we got him. Hank, ha. He'll roll in filth given 2 seconds. He gets a bath it seems like once a week. DH claims he's just jealous that Sambuca gets a weekly bath, so he wants the attention also. Oh well, with Hank, wet him down, scrub him well, rinse, dry with a towel, spray with an anti-static grooming spray, and he's clean. Sambuca - he gets the hair dryer to him. I prefer Hank :)

I hardly ever bathed Brynny in the 11 1/2 years he was with us. He never seemed to need it. When he got elderly, though, he often peed on his leg, so I would wipe his leg with a baby wipe when that happened. I did brush him often, though.

Nancy

Guest DodgersMom

Dodger hasn't had a bath in almost 2 years. The last one was done at the vets when we kennelled her and Brooklyn while we were on vacation. Part of the fee includes a bath before picking up to bring home. We haven't been away since Brookie crossed the bridge so Dodger hasn't had another bath. She never smells 'doggie' even when she comes in from the rain.

• 1 year later...

I've never bathed Ragsy yet as there hasn't been any need. I do wash down her legs if she's been racing round her garden track but otherwise she doesn't seem to need it. I brush her regularly but she never looks dirty or smells and the only 'bath' she gets is when we're out in the rain. I've always been told to bath dogs as little as possible so as not to interfere with the natural skin oils doing their job.

Sue from England

When Chip first came off the bus, we bathed him obviously..... Then the next day, we saw ticks all over him. So we bathed him again. Havent since. But I am going to make it a habit of when he needs it. Just like the rest of my gang. In the winter, only wipe downs occur because of the cold.

In loving Memory of: 

Chip, Wendell, Tessa, Moose, Moody, Noble Storm, Thunder, Gracie, Duke

I think if you bathe your dogs in the tub, you will be disgusted to see the amount of dirt that comes off of them, whether they stink or not.

I can't even imagine not giving myself a bath, much less my dogs, especially if they sleep in my bed. JMHO.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Guest FastDogsForMe

I bathe my dogs about once a week... sometimes less, sometimes more, if there's a reason, ie, the silly boys pee on their front legs :o or like the time we thought the Charleston, SC shore was a BEACH, like we have here in Florida... but we quickly discovered it's quicksand and as we took a greceful leap onto the "shore" from a dock, me and all three hounds were instantly STUCK to our elbows in quagmire :colgate:rolleyes::o

Guest FastDogsForMe

btw, especially w/a coated breed, frequently bathing usually IMPROVES coat, not ruins it. Dirt damages hair. Show dogs are bathed constantly and have the best coats of any. My guys never have dandruff and the gleam and shine and even the GH's coat looks 100% better after a bath. He was a real mess when I got him... pee stained and all. I had to use a show dog handler's "magic formula" to get the pee out :( So he learned fast to enjoy bathing. Now he and the Borzoi actually GET in the tub, as they are water babies.

Guest GreytsMom

That is one of the pluses to owning greys...they are basically "clean" dogs. They never had an opportunity as pups to roll in the smelly stuff that most other dogs seem to find, so they don't seem to know that they could. We have given our gey a bath one time in the year we have had him, just because we thought we should. On the other hand, our GSD gets bathed and groomed at least three times a year...because she is more active and has a thicker, longer coat which seems to attract and retain the outdoor elements!!! WE have a groomer take care of our GSD, because the job of grooming her is labor and time intensive. We did the grey ourselves in about 20 minutes from gathering supplies to putting away supplies. :P

Guest CoachGrieber

it's not really a bath or a shower, per se.. but, whenever Sequoia is done at the bach, she get's hosed off right then and there... Saltwater's a bitch on skin.

other than that... I can say that in the year and a half (give or take) that I've had her, I've given her 3.. maybe 4 baths?

Guest mom2two

monthly baths seem to stop them getting too grubby and turning my bedlinen brown! (I however wash a little more often for the same reason :rofl )

Guest sjarp

We give ours a bath a few times a year, but we hose them down after the beach everytime they go and we wash their little feeties everytime they go out in messy weather......

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Stircrazy

I bathe Jewel about monthly, not for the smell, but to reduce the dander so my allergies don't kill me. She doesn't need it, but she always gets a long walk and a greenie after, so she doesn't resist too much.