Bathing Your Grey(s)

Guest sheila

how often do you bathe your greys(s)  

588 members have voted

1. 1. how often do you bathe your greys(s)

• never
    • yearly
    • bi-yearly
    • monthly
    • weekly
    • only when they need it
    • other (please explain)

I would have to say I never bathe Kiowa. He simply never seems dirty, he never stinks and even when he's played in dirty muddy area within an hour or so the dirt seems to have simply rolled off of him. Though I have taken him to a vet clinics dog wash fund raiser once or twice, and not because he needed it, but just to show support for the group. He comes out looking and smelling about the same way coming out as going in. A good bi-weekly brushing is all he seems to need.

(Our little Bichon is another matter) With her long fur she needs bathed and groomed often.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bauer ends up peeing on himself, stepping in sh$t or getting flithly at the dog park often enough, so usually about once a month we'll give him a hose down.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

We bathed ours after they wallowed in mud this spring and again when allergy season ended before we took poor itchy Dr. Doug off his antihistimine. I think next year I may bathe him frequently just during his September itchy spell, though.

Dillie smells like sugar cookies! I swear! :lol

So I will only probably bathe when he gets ripe.

So far in 4 mos, only one time and he didn't really need it.

I've had Angie 5 months and I've bathed her twice - the first time was right after I got her, cause she needed it. Then in Aug, just cause I felt like I should. :dunno

I don't notice that she smells. I'm thinking of having her bathed/groomed soon, though, cause we've got a M&G coming up in a couple weeks, and I've got a coupon for $10 off services at the petcare place. I"d like her to be all pretty and clean for the M&G. :)

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

ps - I think it's not good to give them bath too often?

Yeah, you can dry out the coat. But we use a "moisturizing" shampoo and sometimes literally just hose him down with no soap.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Dash hardly ever gets a bath. My bathroom is on the second floor and he WILL NOT go up those stairs, EVER.

When he does get a bath, I schlepp him over to my sister, Jan's, (her house is all on one floor) and we give him a bath there.

He hasn't had a bath in a while....:P

paula_sig.gif

~One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all ~

Guest spazkaz

I bathe Alina during her big summer shed, but that's to get as much loose hair as possible, not cause she's stanky. In fact, I got a compliment that she smelled wonderful the other day, and it's been months since her last bath. I might bathe her once more before it gets real cold, then will probably wait until next summer.

Quarterly. Just to make them smell good. They don't get dirty very often and I can use a pet wipe on them if I need to.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Guest Chasems

Chase has had only 1 bath (with soap) in 6 months. However, a few times after a long walk in the rain (he's like a duck out of water!), I sprayed him very lightly with a spray on/leave-in conditioner and wiped him down with a few paper towels. That left him fresh and clean (and cheaper than the doggy wet-bath wipes). It amazes me that after trapsing through the mud, he can come in from a walk and need only one paper towel to wipe off a little dirty residue.

The greyhound beats the poodle hands-down in the maintenance department ^_^

Guest GreyhoundMama

I've never bathed either of my greys. They never seem to need it. I do keep a box of handy wipes near the door in case Gryffin pees on his leg! :) And I'll occasionally give them a quick wipe down with one before a meet & greet. But a real bath with water? I've never seen the need for my guys.

Only done it once in 6 months and even then Tiggy didn't need it. She gets a good brush with a rubber brush every couple of days and about once a month gets spritzed with a Tea Tree leave in spray. But she smells lovely, dirt just brushes off and her coat is shiny and soft. Probably won't ever bathe her again unless she rolls in something really foul.

Guest ZiaGrey

I never actually bathe any of our dogs. :) If they got into a skunk or poo or something terrible, I would, but even in the rainy season when they're muddy, I just let it dry and flake off (in the kitchen!) and brush them. They're shiney and smell great! I do use wipes a great deal for ears and sometimes a 'body wipe' :) If they get real dusty, I use a wet towel. No trauma for either of us!

Only once in a year and a half, that was because he'd managed to coat himself in cow flop after a particularly wet romp thru the pastures...

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Guest MillysMom

We bathed Milly once a month for the first two months when we got her. Her coat and skin weren't great and she didn't mind the bath at all.

It really helped calm her skin (she had dandruff) and her coat looks great! :)

I don't think we will do it again until she needs it. :)

We've had Argus almost two years and he has only had three baths. One when we first got him, once after he got exceptionally muddy in the yard, and once for a fund raiser for our group. Callie has only had one bath in a year - at the fund raiser. They don't seem to get dirty enough to need a full bath. I wipe them down with baby wipes to clean their faces or paws.

Robin - Cordova (Memphis), TN

Argus (BB's Turbo) #86152 Oswald Cobblepot X Hilary Pride

Butler (GoodOleBoyRoy) #92232 Castor Troy X Princess Josie

Bridge Angel Callie (Tom S Macaroon) #87886 Black Streaker X Tom S Megan, April 15, 2000 - November 3, 2012

Once a year in the summer....first day that hits 85 is bath day. I doubt they even need it once a year! They both are very clean! We do wash feet at the door in a bucket of warm water when it is muddy outside. :)

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.