Bathing Your Grey(s)

Guest sheila

how often do you bathe your greys(s)  

588 members have voted

1. 1. how often do you bathe your greys(s)

• never
    • yearly
    • bi-yearly
    • monthly
    • weekly
    • only when they need it
    • other (please explain)

Guest Lunula

Quarterly. We don't do it just because they smell (which they never really do) or because they get dirty doing something, we make sure we bathe them every three months or so just to get any pollution/toxins off of them that we can't see/smell/feel. Since we live in the city and walk them twice a day, we worry about car exhaust, chemicals on lawns, etc. getting on them. Plus... the pollen! Arg!!!! :lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We bathe our three pups before we take them with us in our camper, just so everyone is smelling fresh and sweet for the camping adventure. Sometimes we add a bath when we have allowed them to run in the fenced-in pasture, which sometimes has mud or cow poop. They normally do not smell anyway but when they walk in horse or cow poop they need a bath. When travelling, we just like to travel with fresh pups. They are very patient with us throughout this process. They seem to tolerate it well and don't resent us for bathing them. And when they're done, they are some sweet smelling hounds!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Guest greytmonty

We bathe Monty about once a week with oatmeal shampoo. He is VERY itchy from his allergies and this seems to calm his itchies down. We also go to playgroup once a week and inevitably he is coated in mud and goose poop afterward (how special) so that has become the day of the week for his bath.

Guest WI_grey_mom

Only when they need it. I've only had them for a short time, but they have been quite ripe recently.

Bella doesn't seem to know when to get her head out of the way when the 2 of them get on a good smell... Bo has peed on her head. :o:eek

I bathed them at the pet store just last week, and I think I wuold only do it there. They shed SO bad after their bath and it was sucha fiasco (whining, crying ... before I even got them into the tub!)

But wow are they soft now. And Bella Bean's face smells so much better :lol

Guest Cris_M

I bathed Gabriel when he first got home to get the kennel smell off him. He never needed another bath.

Duncan stunk a LOT from the kennel, but couldn't be bathed since he had been half neutered (long story) the day before. Within a week, grooming had removed the smell. So zero baths for him -- so far. :colgate

Guest david_42

In the rainy season, I just towel them off after walks.

In the summer, they don't get muddy.

Used to wash my doxie every month. Which he followed by wallowing in whatever stinky thing he could find.

Guest lvmydogz

:blink: Wow! This thread is 3 years old, but yet here I am posting a reply to it!!! :lol:lol

I voted for when they need it. Usually about every 2 months or so. That's just *one* of the wonderful benefits of having a Greyhound, they have hardly any body odor!! :)

Michelle (Jojo & Lucky's momma)

I voted "Only when they need it" but unfortunatley that is more than I would like. Grace is friends with Mazie, and Mazie likes the mud. As much as Grace tries to avoid it, the temptation of chasing Mazie is just too great. I'm just glad Mazie doesn't live with me! :)

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest BooMooandDoo
I voted "Only when they need it" but unfortunatley that is more than I would like. Grace is friends with Mazie, and Mazie likes the mud. As much as Grace tries to avoid it, the temptation of chasing Mazie is just too great. I'm just glad Mazie doesn't live with me! :)

I see how your story changes. . . .wasn't it just yesterday you wanted my swamp thing??

In the wet season Mazie gets bathed at least once a week. Most of the time, twice a week. She loves bathes now though. She drinks the water out of the shower head and gets a greenie afterwards. I'm beginning to think she does it to get all the good rub down loving and treats.

Truman, only when we go to the dog park with squeaky clean Grace :lol

I see how your story changes. . . .wasn't it just yesterday you wanted my swamp thing??

In the wet season Mazie gets bathed at least once a week. Most of the time, twice a week. She loves bathes now though. She drinks the water out of the shower head and gets a greenie afterwards. I'm beginning to think she does it to get all the good rub down loving and treats.

Truman, only when we go to the dog park with squeaky clean Grace :lol

Yeah my story changes, defense mechanism because secretly I do really want her to come live with me! She is a riot! So I guess this goes to prove that there is no such thing as too many baths, just as long as the pups skin is healthy and not too dry they are in good shape. I know you also feed that awesome salmon oil as well, which only helps their skin even more...

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest SurlyJen

I bathed Aley once, right after he came home...he really had a bad doggy smell. Since then I just wipe off his feet after a muddy walk or brush the dirt out of his coat (which truly isn't much!)

I will probably give him a bath after winter if he needs it, but truthfully, he doesn't smell bad at all. I control his shedding by brushing him often...I think that mostly takes care of the dirt as well.

J

• 4 weeks later...

Well, we've only had Elena about 5 months, but it looks like she'll be going to the groomer's every 2-3 months. However, we just use the bath as an excuse to get her anal glands expressed. I love my girl, but I will ALWAYS pay someone to do that for me.

DynamoandElenasignature.jpg

Tamara with Aragorn the crazy cat, Fawkes the OTTB, and always missing Elena (Rapido Elena - Rapido Ebony x Quiet Traveler 9/11/02-11/14/12) and Dynamo (Dotties Dynamo - Gable Dodge x Geez Darla 3/27/2001-7/21/2012). I hope doggie heaven is paved with peanut butter and the bunnies are slow. Run free and happy.

I haven't found a need to bathe either of my greys ... yet. I always use the Perfect Coat Bath Wipes for dogs (or puppies) on them - and lots of brushing. Once, even the vet mentioned how nice they smell. Glad to learn others don't all bathe their dogs. Even though my greyhounds are probably quite happy they have not had the bath experience, I secretly felt I should be dragging them to the tub. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I bathe all 3, one after another about every 6 weeks or so. All I can say is that it is back breaking. I go into the tub with them with tank and shorts and the handheld and wash cloth. I try and use a very mild shampoo/tearless with conditioning as not to dry their skin.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest sidewaysfallin

So far never, but it has only been three months. Sophie gets wiped down with babywipes once a week and if she is given a bone (tends to get greenies all over her) She will probably get a bath two or three times a year or as needed.

Quite rarely, and they never "need" it. They don't ever smell doggish. And dirt seems to roll right off. Diana is quite hard to bathe because her hair is so thin and tight, that the water rolls right off! Sobe however, has really thick, black fur, and tends to be oilyer (oilier? oily-er? how do you spell that????) More OILY than most. Anyway - a couple months post-bath, when you pet him you can feel a slight something on your hands. I don't like that, so he gets a bath then. After, he feels like silk again for a couple months. It could be from the fish oil, etc, I give him to keep away the dandruff.

Our last foster, though, was white with patches, and he got dirty! He definately looked better after a bath. If I had a white, I'd probably bathe it monthly, just to keep really white.

Oh geez. I just realized this is a really old thread! How did it manage to resurface? Oh well.

Sterling and Kelsey ususally get Sun afternoon baths because I take them to the park on sat. and sun. mornings and they love to go in the water at the beach (Salt water). If I don't at least rinse them, they get scratchy from the salt and sand.

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly

Guest Copemantx

Since we got over the bouts of Big D, Rolex hasn't needed a bath. Prior to me getting him he broke his right rear leg and he has trouble hiking it up on the tree so he hits is leggs occasionally, but I just wipe his legs down when we come in.

• 3 months later...
Guest act2redux

There is a Petco in town where for $10.00 you can use their big walk in "sink" complete with rubber mats, long sprayer..everything you would need. I brought my own conditioning shampoo when I first got Echo (I didn't want to chance any thing coming home with us!) and I plan to do it again this summer. I really haven't ever noticed her bein stinky..she gets brushed and her nails done regularly...I had read that their coats / skin will dry out if you bathe them too often. Unlike Miss stinky Starre...Echo never seems to get nasty!