Probiotics or new food needed?

Was waiting to talk to the vet, this will ensure they call right after I post this.

I am wondering if Journey needs a probiotic or to have her bacteria adjusted rebalanced.  She was on Pro Plan got to be to expensive so switched to Beneful she did good on the beef not sure how long ago or why changed to the salmon.  She has had itchy ears and has needed her anal glands expressed two maybe three times.  
Ears were checked out during her sedation for teeth cleaning all ok no damage to the ear drum, no build up of wax, no debris, looks perfect.  Which lead me to wonder if she has an over growth of yeast or a bacteria.  She also does this kinda looks like a yawn with a tongue licking/trying to get peanut butter off the roof of her mouth. 

So if you give probiotics what do you give and how did you come to pick that one.  Is there any test for what probiotic is needed?

What reasonably priced food do you feed and do you supplement with anything and what is the benefit.

I am going to switch foods soon just trying to do research.  Would like to be under $1.80lb if possible.

Any other thoughts or similar issues?

Thanks for your input

Ann & Journey 

Our girl has frequent diarrhea so have been using Purina probiotics in the little individual packages, and it is definitely working. We give her packets about 4 times a week. We were on Purina Pro plan for most of her life but have switched recently as it didn’t stimulate her appetite. Seemed too bland for her late in life so have switched to Acana.

Edited by spottydog

My boy is taking Proviable-DC.  I buy it from Amazon, but Chewy has it as well as other places.  He has been on Iams for years. I do add food toppers from Gracie's Doggie Delights.  It helps with the flavor and it seems to help his poop too.  He got sick after he turned seven this year.  He was sick for about a month. After this meds ended, I spoke to my vet about trying a probiotic and he said they can help a lot.  Several of my greyhound friends recommended this one.   He takes one a day.  He hasn't had any issues since he started taking it.

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

Can’t help you with the food, but when the dogs needed probiotics my vet recommended RxVitamins for Pets brand. Amazon and Chewy both carry it. Also, many years ago I used FortiFlora for my cats and it worked well.

This is the pre/pro biotic we use, and I have no complaints:  NaturVet Probiotic Powder

I give 1/4 teas on each meal. 

You can also use a variety of food additives like full fat yogurt, buttermilk, kefir, and even products like Olewo dehydrated products will help with gut health.

With an allergy like this it could be *either* the protein source OR the carb source in the food causing the reaction, so you need to check both and figure out which it is.  IMO, if you feeding a salmon dry food, it's likely to be the carb source, as I've not heard of a dog being allergic/intolerant to fish - though that doesn't mean it can't happen, so don't assume it's one or the other.

As far as a dry food goes, you may want to try a modified food trial before you spend a bunch of money on a food that might not help.  Do a "bland diet" for a while so you can control and monitor how she reacts to each change.  Choose a protein source and a carb source that's different from what she's being fed now and feed for two weeks to see if it clears up her ears.  If it doesn't, change one thing - different carb or protein) and try again. 

Just looking at the options at my Kroger store they have multiple versions of Iams, Pedigree, NutraNuggets, Beneful, and a couple store brands available, so once you figure out what's causing her issue you can evaluate the ingredients and cost for your needs.  There's also the Costco brands of Kirkland dog food which many have had good results with, though I'm not sure how cost-effective it is.  All of these should be available through Chewy or Amazon as well.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• 2 months later...
On 8/10/2024 at 12:50 PM, Remolacha said:

Can’t help you with the food, but when the dogs needed probiotics my vet recommended RxVitamins for Pets brand. Amazon and Chewy both carry it. Also, many years ago I used FortiFlora for my cats and it worked well.

YES! rx clay works for loose stools- that stuff is gold. And Forti Flora is top notch stuff

• Like 1