Grizzly Salmon Oil Formula Change?

Time4ANap

Is anyone else having an issue with Grizzly Salmon Oil and stomach upset / diarrhea? We have a new bottle and Gracie has now had diarrhea twice since receiving it. It appears from the label that they could have changed the mix of oils, or is this just a rebranding/new label? 

We've used this for years without issues, but this is the only thing that has changed and the timing coincides with the start of the diarrhea. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I couldn't always find the Salmon oil, so I had to switch to the Pollack oil.  Then that got hard to find so I had to switch to what they're calling Omega Health.  It's a blend of Salmon and Pollack oils plus some other stuff.  I don't think they're making just the straight salmon oil anymore.

Grizzly Omega Health

But we didn't have any upset here from the switch.  We hardly ever do though, so your experience may vary.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

1 hour ago, greysmom said:

I couldn't always find the Salmon oil, so I had to switch to the Pollack oil.  Then that got hard to find so I had to switch to what they're calling Omega Health.  It's a blend of Salmon and Pollack oils plus some other stuff.  I don't think they're making just the straight salmon oil anymore.

Grizzly Omega Health

But we didn't have any upset here from the switch.  We hardly ever do though, so your experience may vary.

Thanks for that. I was trying to figure out the differences as the labels are all very similar. The product pictures on Amazon have moslty been updated to the Omega product, so even if it was previously a listing for the Salmon Oil, it is now showing the Omega product. 

It's the Omega Health that is causing the diarrhea. Our previous bottle was whichever of the previous products they have been shipping forever. I can only go by my order history but the bottle received isn't always identical to the product listing, I think we tried this Omega Health product a long time ago with similar results on a different hound. 

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, cleptogrey said:

grizzly has great customer service. if you still have the bottle call them and report the change. i've had it with purchasing items that just don't meet up to expectations, especially when one has been using it for a while. 

I still have it. Will add this to the to do list. Thanks. 

For anyone following this thread: We started using the new oil that I linked above (Max and Neo Brand) and it seems to be very good. No stomach upset, solid poops and both pups are getting bunny soft again. I'm seeing more products appearing with this brand name. They are a local company here in Phoenix, so I think we wil be seeing more products on Amazon, Chewy etc from them. 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 12:32 PM, Time4ANap said:

We started using the new oil that I linked above (Max and Neo Brand) and it seems to be very good. No stomach upset, solid poops and both pups are getting bunny soft again.

:yay 

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

• 2 weeks later...

The grizzly 100% salmon oil changed to include pollock oil a few years ago.  It’s because salmon oil is not sustainable.  Even though Grizzly reportedly uses leftover fish parts from the human salmon supply chain, there are fewer and fewer wild Alaskan salmon in general.  

The company was also sold in 2021. To Whitebridge Pet Brands.  I can’t remember exactly but I think the oil changed even before the sale of the company.  

I had used the grizzly salmon oil since 2009, both pre and post addition of pollock oil and also post company sale.  About 2 years ago my IBD dog got really bloody stool and vomiting from a new bottle of the mixed oil, so I changed to a different brand.  I don’t think it was the mix of oils specifically that made him sick, maybe just a bad batch or a mishandled bottle on top of feeling let down by the company changes and my dog getting sick after being a loyal customer for so long.  

The one I use now is a mix of smaller more sustainable fish. My dogs haven’t had any problems and their skin and coat are just as nice.  

On 12/23/2023 at 9:34 AM, Shannon said:

The grizzly 100% salmon oil changed to include pollock oil a few years ago.  It’s because salmon oil is not sustainable.  Even though Grizzly reportedly uses leftover fish parts from the human salmon supply chain, there are fewer and fewer wild Alaskan salmon in general.  

The company was also sold in 2021. To Whitebridge Pet Brands.  I can’t remember exactly but I think the oil changed even before the sale of the company.  

I had used the grizzly salmon oil since 2009, both pre and post addition of pollock oil and also post company sale.  About 2 years ago my IBD dog got really bloody stool and vomiting from a new bottle of the mixed oil, so I changed to a different brand.  I don’t think it was the mix of oils specifically that made him sick, maybe just a bad batch or a mishandled bottle on top of feeling let down by the company changes and my dog getting sick after being a loyal customer for so long.  

The one I use now is a mix of smaller more sustainable fish. My dogs haven’t had any problems and their skin and coat are just as nice.  

We've been able to get the one with no pollock oil or less pollock oil until the most recent order. Now that product doesn't seem to exist online. When I went back and looked at our past purchases and notes for each dog, it seems we had the same issue with the pollock oil blend a few years ago with a different dog so I made sure to buy the correct package after that. This might have been vendors having stock of the older product until it ran out - not sure, 

Maek and Gracie continue to be bunny soft on the new oil  (Max and Neo brand) and no stomach upset at all. 

Edited by Time4ANap
typo

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much for sharing this! We were dealing with an upset stomach in the mornings (we feed three times a day, final meal is at 9 PM, so it wasn’t an empty stomach) followed by very liquify, almost diarrhea stools, with some almost bubbly or mucousy consistency to some (sorry for the detail lol, I thought it might be useful to someone else). We stopped the salmon oil a couple of weeks ago (we used to feed it with dinner at 5 PM) and things have gotten completely back to normal (no stomach upset in the mornings since).

On 1/13/2024 at 10:15 AM, sallythegreyt said:

Thank you so much for sharing this! We were dealing with an upset stomach in the mornings (we feed three times a day, final meal is at 9 PM, so it wasn’t an empty stomach) followed by very liquify, almost diarrhea stools, with some almost bubbly or mucousy consistency to some (sorry for the detail lol, I thought it might be useful to someone else). We stopped the salmon oil a couple of weeks ago (we used to feed it with dinner at 5 PM) and things have gotten completely back to normal (no stomach upset in the mornings since).

Glad you got the issue figured out. We have had no issues with the Max and Neo salmon oil. Both hounds are bunny soft. We typically use 1 squirt of oil in the bowl for each meal.