Food Switch

KimBee

I’m new to the group and just adopted a Lurcher from Ohio. We have him on kibble but he has maybe one solid poop in the morning, then pure liquid. He was negative for worms when retired a few months ago (I’m getting him retested) and otherwise seems fine.

Ive tried adding pumpkin to his diet and it helped but the gas was unbearable. I’m thinking of trying Olewo carrots but have to ask, what are you guys feeding your Lurchers and Greyhounds?

Congratulations on the new guy! Sorry it's off to a poopy start.  :lol:

That does sound like hookworms. Getting another check is a great place to start.

What to feed is tough. There are so many foods out there! Unfortunately I think it is a matter of trial and error to see what works for your guy. What works for one dog won't work for another. I would start with one of the big brands like Purina, they have a ton of different formulas and they actually do feeding trials that the smaller brands don't. Also consider that just settling into a new home can cause some digestive upset. I'd probably not start making drastic changes too soon.

Good luck, you'll figure it out! Also, we love pictures around here..... ;)

• Thanks 1
Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Olewo carrots are a good idea. A lot of us have success feeding Iams Proactive Health in the green bag. Not the highest quality food, no, but honestly many of the fancier brands don't agree with the hounds' sensitive systems. That Iams line contains beet pulp, which seems to help firm things up. I'd start with the carrots, and if they don't work, slowly introduce the new kibble.

I agree about retesting for hooks, too. Jerilyn and I both know from experience that negative doesn't always mean negative for good!

• Thanks 1

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

Many greyhounds don't do well with boutique foods.  They are usually too high in protein and don't have enough fiber.  While it sounds counterproductive, sticking with a brand like Iams or Purina actually works better for 99% of our dogs.  Get the results of the testing FIRST though, because it won't matter what you feed him if he still has hooks.  Keep him on the food he's eating until you can get three clear tests results, post-treatment - one at 2 weeks, one at 5 weeks and one at 8 weeks.  Then see what the state of his digestive tract.  

Many of us have had good success with the various formulations of Purina products.  The Senstive Stomach might work the best for you right now.  Try and keep the protein percentage at 25% or lower, and make sure it includes a non-legume carb source like rice or a grain.

It's quite common for pumpkin to increase diarrhea.  I wish people would stop recommending it since it does NOT work for every dog.  If adding fiber is going to help it (usually) needs to be insoluble fiber like that in Metamucil, or Olewo carrots.  But again, I would wait until he's hookworm clear before experimenting.  Do go ahead and add a probiotic, since that will help keep his gut in order through any treatment.  There are loads of good products out there (you can search the threads here for ideas since there are a lot of them with suggestions).

Congrats on your new boy!! 

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

3 hours ago, greysmom said:

Many greyhounds don't do well with boutique foods.  They are usually too high in protein and don't have enough fiber.  While it sounds counterproductive, sticking with a brand like Iams or Purina actually works better for 99% of our dogs.  Get the results of the testing FIRST though, because it won't matter what you feed him if he still has hooks.  Keep him on the food he's eating until you can get three clear tests results, post-treatment - one at 2 weeks, one at 5 weeks and one at 8 weeks.  Then see what the state of his digestive tract.  

Many of us have had good success with the various formulations of Purina products.  The Senstive Stomach might work the best for you right now.  Try and keep the protein percentage at 25% or lower, and make sure it includes a non-legume carb source like rice or a grain.

It's quite common for pumpkin to increase diarrhea.  I wish people would stop recommending it since it does NOT work for every dog.  If adding fiber is going to help it (usually) needs to be insoluble fiber like that in Metamucil, or Olewo carrots.  But again, I would wait until he's hookworm clear before experimenting.  Do go ahead and add a probiotic, since that will help keep his gut in order through any treatment.  There are loads of good products out there (you can search the threads here for ideas since there are a lot of them with suggestions).

Congrats on your new boy!! 

I forgot to mention the vet has had him on probiotics for a week and a half with no change. Did a paste for two days and now finishing off pill. Did nothing. The pumpkin helped his poop significantly but the gas was terrible.

What brand of food are you using?  I agree with the suggestions to use Iams green bag or Purina Lamb & Rice.

A friend swears by this additive: https://www.bernies.com/perfect-poop/#section-what-can-bernies-perfect-poop-help

You'll need to do frequent hookworm testing. They can be sneaky and not always show up on a test. Here's the protocol for treating them: http://greyhoundcrossroads.com/index.php?page=resistant-hookworms

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Welcome from Milo, another lurcher originally from Ohio!  According to DNA test, Milo is mostly greyhound with some whippet and coonhound mixed in.

Unfortunately I think it is a matter of trial and error to see what works for your guy. What works for one dog won't work for another.

Agreed.  Just FYI, Milo has perfect poop on Purina Pro Plan large breed chicken.  Also, check the ingredients of any treats you may be giving him, and beware of people food that is greasy.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Just FYI, Milo has perfect poop on Purina Pro Plan large breed chicken.

I should add that my other greyhound, who eats the same food and treats, does not have perfect poop.  It's ok but nothing to write home about.  :)  In my 25 years of having greyhounds, I think I've fed 4-5 different foods based on what worked best for the hounds of the day.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

On 11/10/2023 at 7:50 AM, KimBee said:

I’m new to the group and just adopted a Lurcher from Ohio. We have him on kibble but he has maybe one solid poop in the morning, then pure liquid. He was negative for worms when retired a few months ago (I’m getting him retested) and otherwise seems fine.

Ive tried adding pumpkin to his diet and it helped but the gas was unbearable. I’m thinking of trying Olewo carrots but have to ask, what are you guys feeding your Lurchers and Greyhounds?

Edit: I switched my guy to Iams in the green bag and added Olewa carrots- huge improvement! Not perfect but soooo much better. Also, he was negative for worms.

Thanks everyone for the advice!