Galgos

Hi everyone. I'm new here, but not new to greyhounds. I have loved them since I first heard of them when I was 19 or so :ig:beatheart

Haha, that looks like that greyhound is farting hearts lol..anyyyyway, we are considering bringing a grey into our home. The place I've been working with is Fast Friends in NH. They have Irish Greys and Galgos and other sighthounds. They suggested a galgo because we have a cat. And I guess the Irish greys are very keen and usually not good with cats. They don't have any US hounds, but I am looking around. So what I'm getting at is, does anyone know just how much more energy a galgo has. We want a chill dog, good with cats and doesn't bark or jump. I hear galgos have more energy and love to jump (not necessarily on people, but outside anyway) and are more intelligent than greys (?). A woman said her galgo learned to open her cabinets and draws :o.

What opinions do you all have about galgos vs greyhounds?

Irish

ps: I just heard back from a place in Mass and they also have all Irish. Galgos really need adoption because they are treated so badly in Spain. I would love to adopt one, but I don't want to get in over my head.

Don't rule out the Irish hounds. Many have lived in the homes of their trainers after their race career was over and thus may have already lived with cats. I"m told they are less likely to jump fences, unlike galgos. Many galgo groups require a 6 ft. fence. Also consider any older, returned greyhounds if you want a calmer dog. I've had 15 greyhounds, several Spanish podencos, a galgo, plus a variety of other sighthounds - all with various levels of energy. You may have a wait to get the dog you want, especially for a greyhound. Consider volunteering with the groups to get a better feel on personalities of the dogs and support from the groups.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thank you macoduck. I really appreciate your encouragement to wait for an Irish hound. I don't mind waiting for one either. I've been reading that glagos need a bit more exercise too. I'm not up for that unfortunately haha. And I don't mind seniors either. Senior dogs are wonderful.

Boy you sure have had a lot of dogs!! :gh_bow

Hi!  I'm glad you're interested in another dog, and are considering your options.  We've had 9 ex-racers (and 70 fosters) since 1999.  We now have 3 Galgos, and I've volunteered at Scooby shelter in Spain, where I met my Galgo girls. While there are certain traits that are common to Greys (Irish and NGA) or Galgos, I really feel like it's best not to make generalizations.  Ducky had some good advice. I think the groups know their individual dogs, and can help you decide which one is best for you and your requirements and lifestyle.  There are questions they will ask you.  For instance, do you have a fenced yard? How high is your fence?  Most Galgos do require a 6 foot fence, but I know some groups will place a Galgo with owners who have no fence, if they plan to walk their dog several times a day (never off leash, of course).  Most Greys and Galgos are cat tested---I know all of my ex-racer fosters were, and I cat tested my Galgos myself at the shelter.  There are hundreds of Galgos at Scooby, and some of them are not cat safe.  I fell in love with one older, seemingly mellow female, and in her cat test, she literally tried to attack the cat!  Well, I had to look for another dog.  My girls were all fine, and all our Greys were fine too.  We knew that because they were fosters first, and we had cats back then.  My Galgos are really similar to my angel Greys in most ways.  But unlike ex-racers, Galgos have never been crated.  And they are endurance runners---coursing for hare---while ex-racers are very fast for a much shorter period of time.  Some Galgos have not had much positive human interaction---the Spanish galgueros are mostly interested in the honor the Galgos bring them by being good hunters.  They are useless to them otherwise, and are disposed of in huge numbers on a regular basis.

When you say you're not up for a lot of exercise, what do you mean?  Some dogs have a much higher activity level, and of course, an older dog may tend to be more settled.  But again, it's best not to generalize.  My 13 year old Galgo has more energy than her younger sisters!  But all of them are going to require a certain amount of exercise, and you would need to commit to that.

There are LOTS of Galgos who need homes!  Of course, there are some challenges---getting flight patrons to add the dog to their plane ticket, all the necessary requirements to bring a dog into the country---unfortunately, it's become more complicated---and the cost.  There are several really good groups in the US who work with different shelters and rescues in Spain.  They are doing a wonderful job of navigating all steps, and as long as they are committed to helping the Galgos find good homes in this country, there will always be Galgos available.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

We have an Irish Greyhound and a Galgo.   

Irish Sid is now 9 and came to Canada in the fall of 2017.   He was well-loved by his Irish owner & trainer.  He’s a super calm fellow and a Certified St John Ambulance TD.  He visits school children with anxiety/Autism.

I have not really noticed much difference in temperament from the 3 USA Greyhounds we’ve had.   They were all calm and easy going hounds as well.   I think it really depends on the environment they were raised in and Sid had a very loving home in Ireland. 

Kibo the Galgo (6) has been with us for almost 4 years.  He was found on the streets in Spain with a broken hock and spinal/neck injuries.   112 Carlota took him in and did weeks of amazing rehab and he had mostly recovered by the time he came here.   He is a really great boy.  He is super loving and craves attention, but is just a bit flighty!   He does not like loud noises.  He hates rain and bugs. Can be dog-reactive.   His early years are unknown but likely spent hunting and then living on the streets.  He does enjoy visiting our local Long Term Care home and the weird sights, noises, smells etc do not bother him at all.   The Galgo rescues do require a 6’ fence. 

We also have a 2 yr old GSD/Saluki mix from Qatar. She’s an amazing little tripod. Super friendly and outgoing.  This is the second dog we adopted from Qatar but unfortunately Canadian Gov’t regulations do not allow these anymore.

You could look into other Sighthound rescues. They will also require a 6’ fence. 

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Generalizations about cat or small dog tolerances, or exercise requirements are just that.  Individual dogs reacts individually.  ;)  My group has been adopting out both Irish and Australian greyhounds for several years now, and there are plenty of both that are quite fine with living with smaller companion animals.  I do think you may need to wait a bit for the right one to come along, but it's certainly possible.

Just to put these other options into the mix:

1)  The American Lurcher Project  rescues and rehomes greyhounds and greyhound mixes mainly from the Midwest where they are used in a variety of hunting and racing competitions.  They do have purebred greyhounds from racing kennels, too.  And they adopt across the country.

2)  The Senior Sighthound Sanctuary  brings in many different breeds of sighthounds and adopts over a wide geographical area.

3) The Sighthound Underground does much the same

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• 1 month later...

I’ve lived with greyhounds and galgos and with the exception of one greyhound, they were all cat friendly. The greyhound who wasn’t learned to tolerate the cat after months of work. The most active was a greyhound, the least active a galgo. They all enjoyed jumping. As others have said, generalizations aren’t always fact. Maybe you can find a dog that was fostered with cats,

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2023 at 3:05 PM, Irish said:

Hi everyone. I'm new here, but not new to greyhounds. I have loved them since I first heard of them when I was 19 or so :ig:beatheart

Haha, that looks like that greyhound is farting hearts lol..anyyyyway, we are considering bringing a grey into our home. The place I've been working with is Fast Friends in NH. They have Irish Greys and Galgos and other sighthounds. They suggested a galgo because we have a cat. And I guess the Irish greys are very keen and usually not good with cats. They don't have any US hounds, but I am looking around. So what I'm getting at is, does anyone know just how much more energy a galgo has. We want a chill dog, good with cats and doesn't bark or jump. I hear galgos have more energy and love to jump (not necessarily on people, but outside anyway) and are more intelligent than greys (?). A woman said her galgo learned to open her cabinets and draws :o.

What opinions do you all have about galgos vs greyhounds?

Irish

ps: I just heard back from a place in Mass and they also have all Irish. Galgos really need adoption because they are treated so badly in Spain. I would love to adopt one, but I don't want to get in over my head.

The informal sighthound group at our local park includes 4 galgos.  The boys seem to be the most balanced and the girls seem to be friendly but bitchy.  One of the males is about the size of a grey and has a lot of energy around puppies but it more reserved around adult doggos.  The galgos also have a "bitey face" play style that they seem to enjoy and they like to wrestle and run.  Zelda, the larger female, doesn't care much for other dogs, but prefers to spend time with people and get her scratches rather than play.   All 4 of them have a rough coat, though I've been told that there are some soft coated galgos out there.