Hostile takeover?

Milo and Gelsey's main issue has always been space.  "I want to lie down there."  "You're walking too close."  After some close encounters of the dental kind when Gelsey first arrived almost 2 years ago, they worked things out and settled down.  The last several months, Milo has been asserting himself again in claiming territory.  And instead of standing up for herself, as she did before, Gelsey is just whining.  Ceaselessly.   Oddly enough, I think she could move in on his food bowl at mealtimes and he wouldn't protest.  :dunno 

Just in the last few days, Gelsey has been hopping up in MY space when it's empty.  MY seat on the sofa.  MY side of the bed.  Even when there's plenty of other space available.  What's going on?  Is she trying to move me down in the pack order?  Or seeking my place as somewhere safe?  In general, she's very deferential to me. 

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

close encounters of the dental kind...

Ellen, you are not allowed to nip Gelsey. :P  Tell her that aunt Ducky says to knock it off :shakefinger   and by "it" I don't mean you off the bed or couch. 

Interesting change in pack dynamics though.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

3 hours ago, EllenEveBaz said:

Gelsey is just whining.  Ceaselessly.   

Just in the last few days, Gelsey has been hopping up in MY space when it's empty.  MY seat on the sofa.  MY side of the bed.  Even when there's plenty of other space available.  What's going on?  Is she trying to move me down in the pack order?  Or seeking my place as somewhere safe?  In general, she's very deferential to me. 

Wonder if Gelsey has had a health/physical or age change that Milo is picking up on and thinking time to change the dynamics of the home.

1 hour ago, 1Moregrey said:

Wonder if Gelsey has had a health/physical or age change that Milo is picking up on and thinking time to change the dynamics of the home.

I would think about this a bit more.  Pack dynamics can change drastically with a change in health of one of the members.  Any physical changes in the house set-up or routine?  I would say, if she's not asserting herself with Milo, it's because she's decided she OK with that end of the exchange.  Now she's trying to sort out a new power structure below her. ;)  Do a bit of NILIF with her, and some one-on-one walking, if you can, just to reassert things in her mind.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Milo is the one who is sick.  He is living with chronic lymphoid leukemia, a slow-growing cancer of the blood.  He's doing extremely well with chemo, but he's also 13-14 years old.  I figured that's why he was becoming more protective of what he regards as his space.  What puzzles me is  Gelsey's changed response.  She did leave me exactly enough room to sit on the sofa this morning -- she had it measured down to the millimeter.  

Gelsey already lives a NILF life.    I will try giving her some more individual non-space related attention.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

On 5/30/2023 at 9:25 AM, EllenEveBaz said:

Milo is the one who is sick.

My dogs have always been pretty good at getting along. The kitties, though, are a whole 'nother matter. I have a foster boy, 18 1/2, who is a jerk when he feels punk _and_ when another kitty is unwell. As my own kitty got sicker, the foster was a jerk more often. I've learned more about pack dynamics from the kitties than the dogs. :lol: 

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)