Advice

I need some advice… I adopted my dog Tony about 5 years ago. Ever since I got him he’s had medical issues with his feet. Corns, limping, a toe infection,  now some unexplained limping again. We go to the vet like 10 times a year. He’s had 4 surgeries on his feet and there are just problems after problems. He’ll get better for a couple of months and then something else happens. I had a thought of rehoming him today because I can’t afford all the constant medical treatment, but I could never do that. I’ll just be broke I guess. Has anyone else ever gone through this? What do I do?! I’m so overwhelmed. I don’t want any more pets after this. 

Is this your same dog?

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

We had a $4000.00 weekend recently between the regular vet and the emergency vet when both dogs had emergencies. It's all part of pet ownership and one that can happen with any pet, not just greyhounds. The credit card took a big hit that weekend, but will get paid off eventually. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Sometimes we are lucky with a pet that, for the most part, is pretty healthy and not accident prone, and other times not so much.  Shine had a $6000 broken ankle but what are you supposed to do?  You take a pet into your home and it becomes your responsibility.  Not to be harsh, but, you have to realize that there may be expenses involved with pet ownership.  Try and put some money away on a regular basis that you can use if an emergency arises.   

I'm sorry that you are going thru this; been there done that.  I wouldn't trade any of the dogs, from over the years, for anything.  There are quite a few I wish were still here with us.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Dogs are a lifetime commitment.
Sorry you’re feeling overwhelmed.   We’ve all been in your position at one time or another and managed to get through to the other side.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

We hear you.  We've all been there, at some point, with some dog.  It can be overwhelming.  Just take some time to sit and just be with your boy.  Try and see what he's adding to your life, instead of what you feel he's taking away right now.  You've had him 5 years, so he must be 7 or 8 years old, and moving into his senior years.  This is a time of transition for everyone as he heads towards the final act of his life, and keeping him healthy and comfortable becomes more important.

I would also urge you to take a step back.  Many dog owners fall into the rabbit hole of chasing perfect physical health or perfect behavior for their charges.  Every little limp or yelp makes them crazy and they have to find out what the reason is so they can FIX it.  I can tell you from my own perspective, life isn't always pain free.  I have arthritis and every joint aches, allergies, cataracts, bum knees - the list goes on and on and I can only do so much to chase the symptoms of aging.  We make the promise to our companion animals to do our best for them for their whole life, but we can't fix everything.  And not every single medical issue is life-threatening.   Sometimes a limp is just a limp.

So, take a step back and re-evaluate what you're doing and how much you *can* reasonably accomplish with his health.  Have a heart-to-heart talk with your veterinarian about what you can do with the resources you have available.  Make a plan.  Write it down if you need to.  Refer to it.  Remind your vet about it.

Things to talk about:

> Having your dog be as pain free and comfortable as possible.  Is it a matter of adding some level of pain medication?  Are there joint supplements that can help?  Does he need an actual opioid pain reliever like codiene sulfate, either on its own or in conjunction with an nsaid and/or gabapentin?

> What sorts of diagnostic tests can you do within the constraints of your budget?  Will any tests get your any closer to understanding if there's anything you can legitimately correct?

> Does he *need* actual physical intervention such as further surgery or scar revision to have a good quality of life?  (If he's having issues following the FT surgery, it might be worth your while for you or your vet to have a consult with Dr Guillard - the creator of the FT - to see if there's anything he can recommend.)

> What if anything can you change about his daily life to make it more comfortable for your dog?  Fewer walks or having exercise restrictions?  Wearing boots on walks?  Walking only on soft surfaces?  Orthopedic bed?  Losing weight?  More mental stimulation vs physical exercise? 

> Would any other modalities (acupuncture, swim therapy/exercise, laser therapy, canine massage, etc) help keep him mobile and moving?

It's hard to see them age and to know there's only so much you can do.  It's good to remember that they don't need us to do anything but love them.  {{{hugs}}}

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly