Car Barrier

Annette

Roy had a scare last weekend.  He headed north and took Banjo with him.  He was caught off guard when Banjo jumped into the front seat and rammed Roy (Roy was standing on icy pavement and did not have the best footing) out of the way and got out of the car.  The only thing that stopped Banjo from heading out to the highway was a good smell at the garbage dumpster.  Roy managed to grab him by the harness and get him back into the car.

Has anyone used a dog barrier in their car?

We would need one for our Sonic and one for our Caravan.

Thanks

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

We have this one

https://www.kurgo.com/dog-travel/backseat-barrier

but it’s never really been tested as Buddy hasn’t particularly enjoyed riding in either of the cars it’s been used in. I also haven’t managed to set it up as high as shown in the photo as the attached straps are a bit of a tangle. 

The other thing I have used was a strap that fitted between the ceiling handles of the back seat. A second strap is attached by a carabiner to the first one, and at the other end it attaches to your dog. He has freedom to move around in the backseat but shouldn’t be able to escape. I think this is it (used slightly differently).

https://www.kurgo.com/dog-seat-belts/auto-zip-line-leash-zip-line-combo

(I don’t work for Kurgo! And while i haven’t found their products useful because of my car set up, they are robust and sturdy and I can see how they would work better with a more accommodating hound :rolleyes:)

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

I had this one in my Subaru until recently.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014O41NS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was OK and did the job but it needed to be attached with elastic cords, which was a pain.  I've got Nate in a folding crate in the back seat now, which effectively stops him from joining me in the front seat. 

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

The hard barrier I had was like LBass’s except it attached to the floor and ceiling with suction cups, if that makes sense. The mesh barrier was like MersyGrey’s but a different brand. I got both from either Amazon or Chewy (it’s been awhile :D).

A temporary fix until you get a barrier is a carabiner. I keep one clipped to the front seat head rest and clip the leash to it.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I tried a mesh barrier for Nate first.  I don't think it even slowed him down. :rotfl  Many vehicles have a  barrier made for the car by the manufacturer.  They are probably great but the Subaru one was SO expensive. :eek

Annette, I'll mention that I am not using the barrier in my link and I'd be delighted to send it to you if you'd like it.  I'd planned to list it on our local Freecycle or Buy Nothing Facebook groups so it's available for the taking and why not to someone from GT.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.