just thought i would share this, it's skunk season .....AGAIN!!!! 

easy peasy and if your out gas stations will always have MILK! wash the dog liberally with milk, whole milk is best and safe to get in their mouth and over their eyes. once it's really rubbed in then a bath in original dawn dish detergent(duck on the label). i always have a small bottle in the medicine cabinet. the dawn will strip off any insecticide(frontline plus or Seresto collar)

Seresto collar- the manufacturer said soak it in dish detergent and then use a brush(toothbrush in my case) and scrub. let it dry in the sun for a couple of days. well, i even cut off the end which was sprayed after 2 soakings and a week on the line. got in the car, put the ac on and ripped the collar off the dog and put it in a poop bag. don't even try-

as per collar - for the skunk season- use a cheap nylon tag collar at night that can be thrown out. of course mango was wearing a new collar by PoP of Collar(check it out) and this is what i tried- unsuccessfully: soaking, rinse, sun dry all of the following in different soaks: nature's miracle, milk, baking soda& laundry detergent, lysol cleaner, vinegar, dry collar in plastic bag with baking soda, cleaning wash with dawn. NOTHING has worked!

if anyone has a sure fast method please share, i did my search on the WWW and used just about everything non-commercial. i'm not buying a chemical for $25 when the collar didn't cost that much.

oh, and i hung out 2 dozen strips of rags soaked in ammonia(of course where the dogs can't go) to deter the critters and my gate is nearly impossible to open since it's possible that it got in under the gate. there is garden edging attached to the bottom of the gate now and it scrapes the sidewalk when pushed open.

oh, did i mention that mango had the skunk in her mouth?

Our sympathies.  I have vivid olfactory memories of the 2 times Milo has caught a skunk.

My vet said that nothing he knows of works 100% except time.  Months of time.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

My brother's Aussie has had this happen twice. No matter how much you scrub or what product you use, the smell lingers in the background for weeks to months until it dissipates. Gracie the Aussie has KNOT learned her lesson and still chases them. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I have very recent experience with this. Our busy-pants lab cross got it in the face exactly a week ago. We did nothing that evening as it was late at night and we had no supplies on hand, but kept him restricted to one room. We applied nothing, no water, didn’t wipe him down. The next day we made the solution recommended by respected sources on the ‘net consisting of a quart of peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda and a teaspoon dish soap. This concoction cannot be made ahead, as it releases oxygen which is the cleaning agent, and will also explode a container. We put this on the afflicted parts, let it sit for five minutes then hosed him down. It worked somewhat, but we realized that the recipe is nowhere near enough for a big dog, so I doubled the recipe the next day and reapplied. The peroxide has a slight bleaching effect so now we have a dark brown dog instead of a black one. I would recommend doing this procedure twice, anyway. The smell is much, much improved and you really have to get inches away from him to smell it. It might help to have the dog in the sunshine for a bit as well. 
He of course got some stench on various household items like the blinds and some bedding, but before I could get to dealing with the smell on the blinds, it had completely dissipated, and as for the bedding, I aired it in the hot sunshine, then washed it as usual, with some baking soda thrown in as well, and that fixed that.

From my reading, it is best not to apply anything except this solution, as some of the noxious components of the skunk spray will dissipate if they don’t get wet, (wetness  causes it to bond to the fur).

3 hours ago, spottydog said:

I have very recent experience with this. Our busy-pants lab cross got it in the face exactly a week ago. We did nothing that evening as it was late at night and we had no supplies on hand, but kept him restricted to one room. We applied nothing, no water, didn’t wipe him down. The next day we made the solution recommended by respected sources on the ‘net consisting of a quart of peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda and a teaspoon dish soap. This concoction cannot be made ahead, as it releases oxygen which is the cleaning agent, and will also explode a container. We put this on the afflicted parts, let it sit for five minutes then hosed him down. It worked somewhat, but we realized that the recipe is nowhere near enough for a big dog, so I doubled the recipe the next day and reapplied. The peroxide has a slight bleaching effect so now we have a dark brown dog instead of a black one. I would recommend doing this procedure twice, anyway. The smell is much, much improved and you really have to get inches away from him to smell it. It might help to have the dog in the sunshine for a bit as well. 
He of course got some stench on various household items like the blinds and some bedding, but before I could get to dealing with the smell on the blinds, it had completely dissipated, and as for the bedding, I aired it in the hot sunshine, then washed it as usual, with some baking soda thrown in as well, and that fixed that.

From my reading, it is best not to apply anything except this solution, as some of the noxious components of the skunk spray will dissipate if they don’t get wet, (wetness  causes it to bond to the fur).

that solution can not be used on the head- eyes, nose and mouth are where my dogs always get it. try milk- it works and you can even pour some in their mouth and swish it around. my late scottie never learned his lesson- talk about after stench- think about the beard and eyebrows scottie's have! and velcro had a huge beard!

Natures Miracle makes a skunk scent remover product which is excellent.  Ask me how I know!

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

• 2 weeks later...