Whippets

MarkRo

The Greyhounds Just Too Big for Me Now thread had some great information but I was hoping for a little more specific information from folks who've owned both a greyhound and a whippet. 

We just lost our third ex-racing greyhound (this one to cancer) and I'm starting to think about what's next. Greyhound availability is now virtually nil and particularly so where I live in Idaho. We're also at the age where a smaller dog might be better so a whippet might be a better choice in any instance. Which leads us to the possibility to a whippet puppy which might be fun since we've had adult dogs for quite a while and not having to untrain bad behaviors and various neuroses might be fun.

Anyone care to share their experience transitioning to a whippet? Are there any useful websites/forums you've found? 

Thanks much,

Mark

Twin Falls, ID

We have been long time greyhound adopters.  We lost two within two months of each other a year ago.  Ages - hubby will be 70 this year and I am 68.  We have always loved our greyhounds!   We first said we would not have another dog - but we are both fairly introverted and just like to stay home.   We brought little 8 week old whippet that we named Dash 10 months ago.   We had not  had a puppy (since we always adopted) in 25 years, so a bit of culture shock there.  We immediately got a trainer and our pup is a smart little guy.  House training was very easy - it was also during Covid, so we were home a lot.   Not sure what else you want to know - but I’m happy to honestly answer any questions you have.  Dash turns 1 this week!  We have him in agility class.

Edited by teri_d
Soelling

Hi Teri and thanks! I love the name Dash and Happy Birthday!

Given what you know so far, would you expect that Dash will have pretty much a "greyhound temperament" where after exercise, he's ready for a nice nap? Pretty laid back and maybe a bit standoffish with new people and situations? Do you have an expectation of how different Dash will be from a greyhound when he grows up?

Ours were never particularly dog social and it took months before Tex enjoyed a dog park. One day he thought "I wonder what happens if I raise my tail instead of tucking it?" and kind of became an instant social butterfly. He rarely ran at dog parks because a dog race always broke out. Our others were somewhat more gregarious. Would you expect that Dash will be more "just a dog" at the dog park because he's more trusting and doesn't carry any baggage from his prior life or "it's just more of the way the breed is"?

Our greys were affectionate but not golden lab affectionate. Is that what you're expecting?

Where did you find Dash and what did you pay? 

If you went through a breeder, was that a reasonable experience for you?

It sounds like training is typical and we'd probably go the same route just to have some structure to the training. It's really hard to know the difference between our greyhounds because we got them as adults and all they knew was how to walk on a leash and run fast. I'm hoping that a puppy would give us the opportunity to instill some respect and trust earlier rather than later. Related, what's your expectation for the "sight hunting" concerns if and when he's off leash? I suspect it's somewhere between "he'll lock on target and ignore me completely" and "huh, that's a cute bunny. Is it nap time yet?"

It sounds like we're looking at going down the same path for similar reasons -- lack of availability of dogs, not wanting to inherit issues from previous owners, and size of the greyhound versus a whippet. Is that right?

I realize that you just have a puppy so don't really know some of this stuff but you may have some expectations at this point based on looking at the breed and what you've seen in Dash so far.

Thanks much,

Mark

The few whippets I've met were very high energy. One routinely jumped a six foot fence to escape. A friend has 3 that do fine with a 4 foot fence.

They are nearly as hard to find as greyhounds are now. This national group has two available in Oregon.

https://whippet-rescue.org/category/availablerescuewhippets/oregon/

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

On a slight side note, and not to hijack the thread, but why is there a lack of availability of greyhounds in the US? In the UK, I dare say I could enquire later today and adopt one before the weekend, and we live in a fairly isolated area, with only two trusts a reasonable driving distance away (though I appreciate what we consider reasonable differs from your reasonable!) Whippets on the other hand, seem harder to find as a rescue. Is the racing scene in such a decline? Especially after Covid?

I'll be following this with interest, as MarkRo has a lot of questions that are on my mind re Whippets.

5 hours ago, BandM said:

On a slight side note, and not to hijack the thread, but why is there a lack of availability of greyhounds in the US?

Nearly all of the US racetracks have been closed. For many of us here on GT this is heartbreaking. This can be a controversial topic and we do not debate pro/anti racing on Greytalk.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I have a whippet, he is now a year and a half old, I got him as a puppy from a breeder in NY.  Scout was very easily housebroken, maybe had two accidents in the house while training.  He is busy but always ready for a nap now too.  I have a fenced in yard that he loves to play in.  He and my older grey Jack now get along but it was tough when he was a puppy, Jack really wanted nothing to do with him.  One thing about my whippet, he is super attached, even more than my most velcro greyhound!  Scout is a major counter surfer, he loves to be warm, will sit in front of the fireplace for hours.  Scout is a huge snuggler and can't get close enough to his people.  Scout loves everyone, he has been through three obedience classes and is pretty smart.  I do not trust Scout off leash, he has recall but is a chaser and loves to run after everything, squirrel, leaf, whatever is moving.  I think I paid 1500 for him, he is a good size about 40lbs. but all muscle, his mother and father were larger whippets.  Having a whippet it definitely similar to having a greyhound but in a smaller package.  I would start by joining some of the Facebook pages dedicated to whippets, Whippets in the US, Whippet and North American Whippet Appreciation.  If you are looking for a reputable breeder Whippets in the US is a good source.  Good luck in your quest for a whippet, they are wonderful dogs.  

i have 2 whippets now. when my last 2 greyhounds died we realized that it takes 2 of us(we are 69/71) to carry a larger dog. the temperaments are far more terrier like- but we both love terriers. clever, fast to learn, fast to challenge you one needs to be focused and consistent and give them lots of exercise. we walk our 2, 2-4 miles a daily and they play big time in the yard. and yes to the remark above about counter surfing- they can look at a counter and just levitate! i had my grand-puppy here for socialization. she just would levitate to my 1 counter which is teeny and walk on the stove. if you a buying one(very few in WRAP- whippet rescue) make sure the parents are health tested- eye, heart, hearing. if they aren't then get the history on the lineage.

it's a different commitment w/ a terrier vs greyhound and just remember you are getting a dog w/ terrier traits that will make you laugh. if you are not looking for a higher energy dog look into italian greyhounds(iggy). there are tons out there in rescue. just remember they have teeny tiny bladders and need access to piddle pads. but for a lower energy fun dog- this might be your answer.

i am not a member of the whippet adoption/sales group on fb. but if you join this https://www.facebook.com/groups/463069527772243, they will direct you. always look into a breeder and find out if they are showing, coursing, racing and get some background on them. like greyhounds racing/coursing whippets are very different than show whippets.

Hi Mark!  I know this is the greyhound site - so I don’t want to turn it into whippet vs greyhound thread.  We loved each and every one of our greys and would have another in a heartbeat if we weren’t old and unable to lift if necessary!  I’m happy to chime back in and answer your questions as best I can though.   We are guessing Dash will have a semi-greyhound temperament - all our friends who are around dash say they are surprised at what good puppy he is.  Yes, he is always ready for a nice nap - especially in a comfy bed on the back porch in the sun!  He’s not a big fan of cold and snow.  We got dash from a breeder in Oklahoma and paid $2500 for him - we were so torn on not getting another dog, especially a puppy, and when we decided, we just jumped in and did not do months of “shopping”.   So I can’t really speak on experience with the breeder….we have occasionally sent a photo or a funny story to them and they always respond and are nice.   Pretty much immediately we hired the trainer and dash quickly learned the basic commands - we also worked with him often on these (it was Covid - not much else to do).   He was also housebroken almost immediately!  He is very smart and catches on quickly…wants to please. We have two rowdy grandboys ages six and eight who adore him - and he’s always been great with them.  We also started immediately taking him to doggie day out once a week to socialize him.  We don’’t do dog parks, but do walk daily in the park - he does “down” as other dogs walk by….if you think he is sounding robotic - he is definately not!  He has chewed on the corners of my couch cushion backs and we’ll need a new couch someday.  he is extremely affectionate.   Sorry to say he sleeps with us in bed and he likes to be under the covers lol. I would say he is not as aloof as our greyhounds (and we had seven of them).  He is not off leash often other than our back yard- he does sometimes at the agility rink take off and run like the wind, and he is fast!   Just like greyhounds a thing of beauty and the whole class always gives him a standing O for his off cue performance.    He has worked up to a competition class, but is too young to compete, so we don’t know how he’ll behave in actual competition - if we ever enter him.  He is always completely pooped after class!  Great mental and physical stimulation!  We just took a four week class on “excellent engagement” that was excellent.  I see you are also in a big city with training available - we are suburban KC so we have options.  Yes, mark, I would say we are pretty much on the exact wave - loved our greyhounds and temperament, but size a huge factor.

I think you can email me thru grey talk, and feel free to do that.  If you post more times you can pm me.   I certainly don’t want to hijack or get away from the greyhound theme on this board.  Greyhounds are awesome!

I also have to admit that I have been on this board for many years -  was a supporter for years - I was so devastated and depressed when we lost both of our greys within two months of each other…..and I feel gt let me down when I posted in rememberance and threads and there were so few responses from members. So I’m not an active member much anymore.  Be kind to each other and support them please!  We all love/loved our greyhounds with all of our hearts.

Edited to add :  dash is very friendly and not Stand off-ish.  He does have some separation anxiety we are working on.  We have a 4’ iron fence and he has no problem there.  He loves to fetch!  He loves to chew - especially an elk horn!  He is a champion squeeker, nut can chew thru to remove stuffing and the squeeker in no time flat.

Edited by teri_d
Additions

Hi,

My name is Carol and I am a whippet lover, owned them since 1989. One of the reasons I have a greyhound is because I couldn’t find an older whippet when I wanted one and retired racing greyhound’s were easy to adopt. I had wanted a greyhound anyway but basically I am a whippet person.

I am in England and have contacts in the whippet Showing world but for someone new to the breed I would say go to dog shows, talk to the breeders (after they’ve finished showing) look at the different animals and see if there is a type you like. I believe you breed them a little larger over in USA. Blues can be lighter framed than some of the other colours. Like greyhounds they come in a variety of colours and like greyhounds they are thin skinned and need coats in cold weather.

Once you find a breeder you like then see if you can put your name down for a puppy. My granddaughter had to wait the best part of a year for her first whippet and has just brought home her second one from the same breeder.

I currently have a rescued whippet lurcher bitch who is very loving and attention seeking but all my pedigree whippets have been dogs and I have always been told that dogs are more people orientated while bitches are more stand offish. Mine have loved snuggling under blankets, hated wet weather, mostly avoided puddles and loved cuddling up to or on top of me.

They came home at eight weeks old and started at dog training classes as soon as they were able to meet other dogs after they’d had their injections. Recall training was usually reasonable providing you could stop them before they started chasing something i.e. you saw the deer or squirrel before they did. Once on the move we couldn’t stop them. I took three out into the forest and could let them off for a run providing I was careful about where we were and if other dogs were around. The ideal thing for them, as with greyhounds, is a safely fenced field. A couple, who were distantly related, would retrieve a ball, the other two would chase it a few times then leave the humans to go and pick it up.

They could do a one hour walk easily and have been known to go on longer hikes with the local Scout Group. The boys took great delight in counting how many times Rolo did a wee on the way to their halfway point and, after having a drink, how many times he did one on the way home. I wasn’t there but I believe 27 was a number mentioned!

Training needs to be little and often or they get bored but if they enjoy it they can be good obedience dogs and of course are really fast for agility and flyball.

They are very strong, two puppies managed to bend the bars of their cages when objecting to being shut in. Rolo’s neck and jaw strength meant he could carry home quite long, thick “sticks” from the forest, bigger  than most Labradors would carry. One day a friend was visiting with her German Shepherd dog and gave each of them a hide chew. Rolo finished his before her GSD was halfway through his.

You need to keep worktops clear - Rolo nearly had the ham joint from the back of a friends kitchen worktop one Boxing Day, Delta would take an apple from the centre of the dining table and Banjo ended at the vets twice after stealing Christmas cake. The first time my fault when on Christmas Eve I went out for less than half an hour to deliver a Christmas card and he found it at the back of the kitchen worktop, the second was a couple of years later when visiting a friend. He brought a cup of tea and slice of cake in to the living room for me and when he went back to collect his it had gone!

I have been told about a whippet that climbed to the top of a Welsh dresser to reach the butter that had been put up there out of her way.

A six foot fence was one of the conditions my whippet breeders insisted on before agreeing to let me have our first puppy.

My girls need their supper now but if there is anything else you want to know about I am happy to provide answers if I can.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

We started out with whippets and over the years have had six of them. Like every other dog they all had their own personality. We found the boys more likely to want to snuggle and the girls a bit more independent. Some wanted pats and attention from strangers (including putting a tongue up someone’s nose!). Others, not so much.
Now that we have had three greyhounds and the likelihood of not getting another…good job closing the tracks, isn’t that what we wanted after all?… I would go back to whippets. Smaller. Easier to travel with. And when we come home they get the zoomies over with and settle down for a nice snuggle on the sofa. What more could you want?