Bed behaviour

Bee

Hi all, we have had Rook for about nine months now and early doors instituted a rule about not getting up on our bed. He was very happy with this until, foolishly, we persuaded him to come up one morning for morning cuddles… Now he is determined to spend the night with us (I suspect it being cold at the moment is partly to blame) stretching out from the middle of the bed until both my husband and I are falling off the sides! Is there any way to teach him that the bed is only allowed for morning cuddles, or do we have to go back to a full blown ban? So cross with myself for confusing the poor boy…

Nope. get used to it.

A pair of jams at night will help to keep him warm.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

;)  King sized bed? 

Does he argue when asked to get off?  

My guys all understand that being on the bed is a privilege and they’re only allowed up when invited and must get off when asked.  
But yes..PJs will probably help …as well as placing his bed on the floor very close to yours.  

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Dogs are quite capable of learning the rules, even when they are complicated.  The issue is that they are also usually better, more patient/stubborn people trainers than people are as dog trainers.

Teach him a command for getting off the bed.  Work on this on other things - couch, chair, bed, whatever he regularly will lay on.  Say the command, lure him off his spot with a treat, praise and treat once he's off the object.  If you want him to always end up on hisown bed, make sure that's part of the command.  In our house, "OFF!" means *get down from where you are and go to your bed*  It doesn't mean they're banned from that furniture, only that the humans get to decide when they can lay there.  Warning - this process (getting him to leave your bed) is going to take a lot longer than you think, so be consistent and patient, and as stubborn as a greyhound!

Getting him a newer, nicer primo bedroom bed may encourage him to stay on his bed.  He may also like a nice fleece blanket or pajamas if you keep your house cool at night.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

4 hours ago, BatterseaBrindl said:

;)  King sized bed? 

My guys all understand that being on the bed is a privilege and they’re only allowed up when invited and must get off when asked.  
But yes..PJs will probably help …as well as placing his bed on the floor very close to yours.  

Super king!! 🤣He does understand off (after a few minutes of pretending not to!) but it only lasts for five minutes and then he hops back on! 

Edited by Bee

32 minutes ago, greysmom said:

Dogs are quite capable of learning the rules, even when they are complicated.  The issue is that they are also usually better, more patient/stubborn people trainers than people are as dog trainers.

Teach him a command for getting off the bed.  Work on this on other things - couch, chair, bed, whatever he regularly will lay on.  Say the command, lure him off his spot with a treat, praise and treat once he's off the object.  If you want him to always end up on hisown bed, make sure that's part of the command.  In our house, "OFF!" means *get down from where you are and go to your bed*  It doesn't mean they're banned from that furniture, only that the humans get to decide when they can lay there.  Warning - this process (getting him to leave your bed) is going to take a lot longer than you think, so be consistent and patient, and as stubborn as a greyhound!

Getting him a newer, nicer primo bedroom bed may encourage him to stay on his bed.  He may also like a nice fleece blanket or pajamas if you keep your house cool at night.

Super helpful, thank you! We will persevere with the training: not at midnight when we are exhausted and likely to give in ☺️ Think we have got into too much of a habit of making room for him once he is on sofas, he has trained us well!

Edited by Bee

On 1/13/2022 at 8:08 AM, BatterseaBrindl said:

;)  King sized bed? 

When Apollo is up on the bed and I ask him to "off," if he doesn't comply, I simply get the leash, put it on and confidently encourage him down, and show him to his bed.  Then remove the leash.  No harsh words, no visible distress and no chance that he mistakes my actions with play.  Be calm and be consistent.  Beds are a privilege.  

Also Apollo's bed has 2 comforters and is very warm and quiet and within 10 feet of my bed.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2022 at 12:57 AM, Apollo_the_Grey said:

When Apollo is up on the bed and I ask him to "off," if he doesn't comply, I simply get the leash, put it on and confidently encourage him down, and show him to his bed.  Then remove the leash.  No harsh words, no visible distress and no chance that he mistakes my actions with play.  Be calm and be consistent.  Beds are a privilege.  

Also Apollo's bed has 2 comforters and is very warm and quiet and within 10 feet of my bed.

Thank you so much for this reply and all replies on here. We have been practicing off (in the daytime!) but we certainly lack consistency in the middle of the night as sometimes it is just easier to let him settle in than spend half the night getting (and keeping) him off the bed. In any event we have found that making sure that we keep the downstairs room where he normally sleeps warmer means that we get far fewer nighttime visits.  But just one question- we have closed our bedroom door a few nights to discourage sleeping with us. He can still open it by pushing but takes more effort- is this cruel or fair game in bed wars?

Dogs love consistency because they like to know where they stand, or lie in the case of greyhounds. I think you need to decide if he is allowed into your bedroom or not and as he seems happy to sleep in the downstairs room some nights it shouldn't be to hard to remove the bedroom from his sleeping arrangements.

My Grace isn't even allowed upstairs and is quite content to spend the night on the sofa. Mind you with my arthritis it would be me disturbing her sleep not the other way round :D

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time