as welcome as Queen Elizabeth I's best greyhound....

I went to a local theatre last night, to meet up with friends for dinner and a one-man show. That was called 'Kemp's Jig' and told the true story of Will Kemp's 'Nine Days Wonder', a publicity stunt in which this comic actor (and former colleague of William Shakespeare) morris-danced all the way from London to Norwich, in 1600:

bodleian-will-kemps-nine-awn0001.jpg

It was a fun evening, and the play made good use of Kemp's original account, as I discovered when I checked that this morning. One quote along the way that I thought you, like me, would all appreciate was this one:

On Monday morning I danced to Rockland ere I rested, and coming to my Inn, where the Host was a very boon companion, I desired to see him; but in no case he would be spoken with till he had shifted himself from his working day's suit. Being armed at all points, from the cap to the codpiece, his black shoes shining and made straight with copper buckles of the best, his garters in the fashion, and every garment fitting Corremsquandam (to use his own word), he enters the Hall, with his bonnet in his hand, [and] began to cry out:

“O Kemp, dear Master Kemp! you are even as welcome   as—as—as—,” and so stammering he began to study for a fit comparison, and, I thank him, at last he fitted me; for, sayeth he, “thou art even as welcome as the Queen's best greyhound.”

Kemp wasn't particularly thrilled by this, calling it a "dogged [pun definitely intended!] yet well-meaning salutation", but Tiger and I both feel it was a very fine compliment indeed! :ghplaybow

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.