Growling when chasing/running after other dogs

I have a 3 year old retired racer. She is very sweet, especially to adults. 

I’ve never seen any fear in her around other dogs. But on the occasions that we are in open areas and she sees another dog (any size) running she’ll instinctively give chase. However she gives a low growl as she does it. It can sound disconcerting but it’s never more than that. She often runs up to and past the other dogs and often then back to me. I think it raises a few eyebrows with other owners and I can see how they might want to keep their dogs away from her. She’ll happily mix around the dogs and owners when they return back and it only seems to be on the chase. 

Just wondering if anyone else has experience of this. 

This is typical Greyhound behaviour.   They are very vocal when they play. The low growl can be a warning or also an invitation for play.  

Greyhounds can get quite rough when they play.  Play can quickly escalate into nipping at each each other and that easily turns into a fight. 
This is why we muzzle when turned out together….their skin tears easily and a small nip can make a large hole.

Muzzling just your Greyhound at the park will not stop him from being vocal.  All dogs need to be muzzled to keep all safe. And non-Greyhound owners just won’t do that.  

I do not recommend taking Greyhounds to public dog parks for this reason. Other dogs may not understand his growls and chatter and take offence, resulting in an attack.

Perhaps your group can organize a Greyhound-only play date in a safely fenced location. 

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

The first vocalization just sounds like a gutteral bark, totally play. The second one sounds to me like arousal levels are going up, maybe someone is nipping, which with another dog could escalate, but all in all this is pretty normal greyhound running/play. I would just be selective about who she plays with - very social dogs whose body language indicate they're enjoying it and who seem to prefer chase to other styles of play. But definitely no smaller dogs. Even if she hasn't shown a high level of predatory behavior it's too risky imo. A yelp from the smaller dog could trigger a predatory response and it could be a bad result. 

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Really very normal for greyhounds.  My yard often sounds like WWIII when my pack gets out there running and smashing and wrestling.  The problem comes when other dogs don't understand what's happening and respond in fear or with over-the-top arousal.  Which is why I rarely let them play with other breeds.

In dog park situations, you not only have aroused dogs who don't understand, but also their owners.  So many people pay little-to-no attention to their dogs as play goes on in the park until the something bad happens, and then it's too late and someone is hurt (or worse).  And don't even get me started about owners who put their smaller dogs in with the big ones.  :bugeye  

There are very good reasons for greyhounds to avoid dog parks.  If you feel they are a valuable option for you and your dog, please monitor the situations carefully and pull your dog out before things get out of hand.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Grace is only allowed off the lead in an enclosed field when there are no other dogs around unless it's another greyhound that she knows. As soon as another dog appears she's back on the lead because although she has a low pry drive for a greyhound, I wouldn't trust her if  she saw a small dog running around. Also it's not just other dogs which can cause injury, she has lost a tooth chasing a squirrel and a toenail chasing a rabbit.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Very normal behavior for Stanley....he growls while chasing *me* whilst running back and forth on his leash outdoors. He, runs, growls, then nips at me too, the li'l b@$+@rd :lol: 

I do not discipline him for this, because it's their way of playing, AND after all he's the only dog at the park required to be on lead, so he's got to chase *someone*.

Was a subscriber in the mid 2000s (the aughts!).  Reactivated in 2021.  What'd I miss?