greyhounds and bunnies?

Hello! I'm planning on adopting a greyhound soon as I've always wanted one since my last dog who passed away was most likely part greyhound or some sort of sighthound (body shape, face structure, and personality-wise) and I've fallen in love with the sighthound breeds. However, I have a bunny in the house so I'm obviously quite nervous about this so I don't plan on leaving them in a room alone or without a muzzle until I'm absolutely positive my rabbit is safe. I am wondering however how I can be sure that a greyhound I'm picking out at the rescue might be trainable to coexist with a rabbit? Do greyhounds treat anything small and fast (like cats and rabbits) the same, so I might have the best luck with a greyhound that is indifferent or ignores cats? The rescue I am looking at is getting some new greyhounds in today and the lady said I could put a deposit on a greyhound once they're up on the website, but I'm wondering if I should wait until they're at least tested with cats first?

Does anyone have a greyhound that lives with rabbits indoors? I would really appreciate tips on both training and picking out a possibly safe greyhound! Thanks!

I've had greyhounds and rabbits but not together. Personally, I don't think you can ever be 100% assured that your rabbit would be safe out of the cage if left alone. Things happen, and greyhounds will be greyhounds. 

I did one home check for our adoption group in years past when the adopter had a house rabbit, and I only approved the adoption with the stipulation that the owner agreed that the rabbit would never be unattended with the greyhound.  I made the adopter sign the home inspection report acknowledging that we had that conversation. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

20 minutes ago, Time4ANap said:

I've had greyhounds and rabbits but not together. Personally, I don't think you can ever be 100% assured that your rabbit would be safe out of the cage if left alone. Things happen, and greyhounds will be greyhounds. 

I did one home check for our adoption group in years past when the adopter had a house rabbit, and I only approved the adoption with the stipulation that the owner agreed that the rabbit would never be unattended with the greyhound.  I made the adopter sign the home inspection report acknowledging that we had that conversation. 

I see, that makes sense. I don't want to however lock my rabbit in his cage all day and vice versa with the greyhound though. How long maximum would you recommend a muzzle can be on a greyhound for? So that way once I get the greyhound used to the rabbits presence, I can have them in the same room (with a muzzle ofc)? Also, do people who own greyhounds never fully trust theirs around their cats either then? My last dog I was able to trust her with my rabbit alone despite her high prey drive as I got her trained her to be comfortable with the rabbit and to not attack, but I already had 10yrs of trust with her at that point. I just don't want to deny my dog or rabbit socialization with me when I'm home. I really appreciate this insight!

There are probably numerous opinions on how long a dog can stay muzzled and I'm not sure any of them would be 100% correct. For me, muzzles are for short term use while dogs are playing or in close quarters like riding in a car together. Other people will have differing opinions. 

My main concern would be if the rabbit decides to take off at high speed like they sometimes do, even the most non-prey drive greyhound might decide that it's game-on. Our boy Rocket would routinely walk right by wild rabbits in the yard and never bat an eye, but if a rabbit decided to take off running in front of him, he usually came back with the dead rabbit in his mouth as a reflex. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Be sure to get one that is small animal “safe”. I have had several that would of been fine with an inside bunny.  That said they all caught and killed outside bunnies.  One of them was in a kitchen when the pet bunny hopped up and snuggled her hind leg and did not even give it a second thought.  These are the same dogs that will wait for the cat to steal there food and or eat around a cat sitting in there food dish. Would never leave them unattended but with training it can be managed.  You will have to teach appropriate play skills, and enforce them.  Leave it will be invaluable.  As will a highly structured routine with everyone following the rules.  Absolutely no chasing allowed indoors.  
I tend to use muzzles for anytime the new animals are in the same area for at least six months or longer and until the cats do zoomies a few time and the dog leaves them on there own.  I rotate who is out so the muzzle is off for most of the day.

So it depends on your willingness to put in the work and management skills with them.  Just know if the bunny would scream for any reason that might be enough to cause game on and a tragic end for bunny even with a muzzle on.  

3E03592C-C037-4406-9ACF-D27007971BE7.jpeg

I'm not sure any greyhound can be guaranteed cat or rabbit safe by the adoption group as they test them in very artificial surroundings and they change their personality that much in the first few weeks it's a gamble.

Grace has a low pry drive and doesn't pay any attention to the local cats, only looks at squirrels and gives the grazing rabbits in the park a cursory glance until they.... RUN

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

The one thing you need to remember when adopting a greyhound is this:  Sometimes greyhounds lie.

I can't tell you the number of times we see people here and their newly adopted greyhound has just gone after their cat or small animal, even though they completely ignored same during their "official" cat test.  Sometimes the dog is distracted, or too anxious to respond naturally.  Sometimes it depends on the personality of the testing animal.  Sometimes the dog's true response will only emerge months after they have been in their home, when they have relaxed and settled in, and their personality emerges.

The only correct answer is that your group will do the best that they can to determine how they guess any particular dog will respond to cats and small animals in your home, to your individual cat/small animal.  Sometimes they won't be correct.  Sometimes they will.  So, while you can request and need and retired racing greyhound who will be cat/small animal safe, and the adoption group can do their very best to help you pick out the best fit for your home, it's *always* best to be extremely cautious when you have a dog and a prey animal living in the same home.

That means using all the tools you have available to keep both animals safe and happy - muzzles, crates, enclosures, isolation in separate rooms, intense training for your dog, close supervision, never - ever - leaving them alone loose together.  Many greyhounds are crated for the workdays of their people, and I'm sure your bunny wouldn't suffer unduly if he was in an appropriately sized enclosure in another room safely out of harms way while you are out of the house.

You can read through the various threads here about introducing greyhounds to resident cats, and all of that info will apply to introducing a dog to a rabbit.  Also read through the pinned thread at the top of this page entitled "Trust."  It's about being off leash outside, but it can apply to trusting your dog around small prey animals as well. 

The one piece of advice I will emphasize is that a muzzle is NOT magic.  A greyhound can totally catch, carry, and kill a small animal while wearing a plastic basket muzzle if they are motivated enough.  They are a tool, not a guarantee of safety.

That being said, we see greyhounds all the time that are completely successful living with all sorts of prey animals - cats, ferrets, chickens, bunnies, and anything else you can imagine.  So talk with your adoption group and listen to their advice about which dogs they have that will work for you.  You might have to wait a while for the right one to come along, so be patient!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly