Video Resource: How Much $ to Adopt?

Hi!

I just published this video, outlining all the costs of adopting a greyhound.  It also tells what you get from the adoption group, what you need to buy for the big Gotcha Day, and what you can expect to pay annually after that.  Of course, vet bills can be a wild card with any pet, but I hope it'll be helpful to first time greyhound adopters.  I didn't see any other videos like it, so I made one!  Please share, if you know anybody ready to adopt, or an adoption group that might find it useful for new inquiries.

It's very nice, but costs can vary wildly from one geographic area to the next.  It depends on a lot of factors including the size of your city/town, veterinary costs, and what the individual adoption groups include in the costs for adoption.

My adoption group currently charges $500.  For that you get a dog that has been vet checked and treated, spayed/neutered and a dental cleaning, martingale and leash, group tag, muzzle, and a few days of food to aid in the transition.  Nowadays we are sending home at least a couple months of flea/tick/heartworm meds AND treatment for MDR parasites.  But even $500 doesn't cover the whole cost of transporting the dogs from wherever they are to where your group is, or if there needs to be extensive treatment for a disease or injury, or the weeks in between for food and kenneling even with the use of foster homes.  Blue slips -  the ID card you mentioned - and pet transfers are almost never provided by a group, but they are easily obtained once you have your dog.

Plus, much of what you suggest to buy for your dogs are your opinions only.  I have crates, I never use them, even for our first greyhound.  Same with coats.  Unless it's a deluge rainstorm or below 20 degrees my dogs don't wear them.  Same with blankets - my dogs kick them aside and get too hot if covered up.  Some dogs like toys, most can care less - at least in the beginning.  They can also cause issues if you have a resource guarder.  Raised feeders are pretty much personal preference.  I use them, but dogs usually eat off the floor of their kennels at the farm and track.

Like I said, it's nice.  A slick piece for your YouTube channel to drive viewers to your webpage.  As long as you emphasize it's for your local group or in *very* general terms only.  And your greyhound is a cutie!

BUT please!!  Don't ever publically advocate for people to go against the advice of medical professionals regarding the use of human medications and treatments.  Especially for new dog owners.  FWIW, the flouride in people toothpaste is not the main problem.  Yes, it *can* cause acute flouride toxicity over time because it's not meant to be swallowed.  It also contains a compound called "sodium lauryl sulfate" which is the compound that makes people toothpaste foam up.  It's meant to be spit out not ingested as well, and it can cause severe gastrointestinal distress in dogs when they do.  But much worse for our canine friends is that people toothpaste quite often contains xylitol, and a very small amount can kill a greyhound sized dog very quickly.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I would not recommend your videos or page to prospective adopters. 

Are you a veterinarian or just an experienced owner?  I am only an experienced owner of 14 greyhounds + fosters + emergency pulls and transports and I disagree with too many of your suggestions after viewing the articles on your website.

Endorsing human toothpaste? Xylitol may not be in all of them but if your adopter uses the wrong one... Have you ever seen a dog die from xylitol ingestion? I have, at the emergency vet, where an owner's chihuahua ate one stick of chewing gum with xylitol in it.  Stick to suggesting adopters get pet toothpaste.

Rosemary oil to cover the scent of accidents? Rosemary in dog food has been the probable cause of *some* dogs having ideopathic tremors. I didn't know about this until I researched it for an adopter. Yes, they saw a vet, who also agreed they should stop using food and treats with rosemary in them. That greyhound's tremors ceased within days.

There is so many junk essential oils on the market, from Walmart to the biggest multi level marketers, that more harm than good can be done. To me the scent of rosemary reeks, though other people like it when cooking, but what about a dog's super sensitive nose? Truly safe and verified ingredients can be found in the line of essential oils developed by Melissa Shelton DVM, who saw how bad the assay reports were from a company she used to be with.  Her brand is:  https://animaleo.info/

Like Greysmom said, raised feeders aren't a must. There's been a lot of debate for and against them on greyhound message boards.

Crates? I have one just in case but prefer baby gates.
Coats? All my greyhounds have hated fleece coats because of the static. The 2 that even liked wearing a coat would only wear flannel ones.
Beds? I had to listen to the video twice to follow the suggestion of cutting up a human foam bed to catch the word "replacement" for a worn out one inside a dog bed. I think a newbie adopter might just toss the foam pad in without having it inside a zippered cloth cover. Ever known of a dog that died from ingesting chewing foam rubber? I do. (Not my dog).

In the video you made a comment about "mangy tail". Are you referring to "stud tail"? Look it up and explain it better to your audience. It's not something to worry about.

Hookworms? You covered flea, tick and heartworms, but the greatly increased incidents in treatment-resistant hookworms was not mentioned. Any adoption group that doesn't warn adopters that a certain treatment protocol must be followed to get rid of them, with multiple testings for a year or more, is doing them a disservice. Treatment and vet testing can add up to big $$$, plus there's the hazard of an adopter's other dogs catching the new dog's hookworms.

Your greyhound is cute and the video's visuals are nice. It's some of the content in several of them that I disagree with.

You didn't ask for opinions but you just got mine.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Have to agree with Chris & Ducky!

Human toothpaste.  Yikes!

Hookworms are so common in Greyhounds coming off the track in the US, almost all dogs will need treatment for several months. 

Many, many essential oils are toxic to dogs.

Certainly here in Canada you will not be able to adopt a Greyhound for $500. 

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Twenty years ago I met my first greyhound, FV's Little Girl, in Abilene, KS - "The Greyhound capitol of the world".   While waiting for them to bring her from the farm I met Bets on Chig, a greeter at the Greyhound Hall of Fame and the first greyhound I'd ever seen in person.  Amazing to think that now.  I paid $50 to cover Girl's  spay and shots and off we went to Texas.  I taught Girl about being a pet and she taught me about greyhounds.  The next 100 or so taught me more.

A blue slip is $30 and is obtainable or not, depending on the registered owner.
Raised feeders are fine, but it seems like the jury is eternally out on raised/floor feeding and bloat.  One can use plant stands from discount stores to achieve the same thing if desired.
May be a geographic thing or the fact worm infestations have changed  but I never had much problem with incoming greys and hooks but almost to a dog every dog that had put a paw down in Oklahoma or Kansas had Eherlichia...to the point where I learned to spell it (or a reasonable version thereof).
At first I was paranoid about grilling vets about anesthesia protocol until one country vet in West Texas said "no disrespect 
ma'am, but any vet that doesn't know about greyhounds and anesthesia has been under a rock for at least 10 years".
I say new adopters should borrow a crate to see if the dog needs one.  The number of crates bought and used for a month or two is enormous, but some dogs cherish their crate - with the door open as a safe spot.
Won't chime in on the human toothpaste issue.  Agree with above.

Bottom line is they are dogs.  Quirkily, wonderful dogs with a couple of differences than other breeds, but still dogs.  Don't wrap them in bubble wrap and tiptoe around them.   Enjoy them for them.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg