Pepto Bismol while deworming?

Currently on the 2nd step of Fencur...4 pills for 5 days total.  During phase 1 last month Foster Girl Fay developed a very noisy stomach, squeaks and squeals on the last day.  My GH group recommended Pepto Bismol and that settled it down (or maybe it settled down on its' own.)  Wondering now if I should give her a Pepto with each daily dose of Fencur?   BTW my group does the deworming with all the dogs coming up from the South.

I would only give it if there is stomach upset.  Reason being that it turns the stool black and you will not be able to differentiate between that and dark blood.  If it's not needed, don't give it.  Squeaks and squeals are typically gas.  We usually give a Gas-X (plain - no added stuff) and when we do we will hear a loud burp or belch out of the dog shortly thereafter. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

15 minutes ago, charbess said:

So glad I asked...black stool would have sent me to the vet asap.  Is Gas-X a tablet?

Yes.  Just make sure that it's plain Gas-X and not one of their products that also has an antacid etc - you just want to relieve the gas.  Normally, if that squealing is first thing in the morning before they eat, we can just give a snack like a Milk Bone or some canned food to settle the stomach out. What we've experienced with those early morning squeals is that they won't want to eat their breakfast because of stomach upset, but will eat a treat or something attractive like canned chicken dog food. I will usually give them that, then a few hours later they want their regular breakfast.  

At other times of day or if it's a few hours after giving deworming meds, I'd try the Gas-X first  if you hear squeals. The nice thing with plain Gas-X is that it isn't going to hurt anything if gas isn't the issue at that moment. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

The Gas-X I use is the plain one. It's a green-coated pill. If I hear squeaks from a tummy I pop one in.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

My vet has told us that Pepto doesn't do anything for dogs.  Different stomach chemicals and environment mean it doesn't really work the same way it does for people.  Same with tums - they get a dose of calcium, but that's all.   

The tummy squeaks can come and go during treatment, and can be caused by the hooks beforehand and during treatment.  Hppks are very hard on a dog's system, and the drug-resistant variety we are dealing with now are particularly nasty.  The treatment is also hard on the dogs, so it's a balancing act getting them through the whole time period without stomach troubles of some sort.

Make sure you give the Panacur only after a full meal that includes a good canine probiotic.  If you want to give something stomach-specific, try an acid reducer like Pepcid (or the generic) 20-25 minutes prior to eating.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Dosing info:
https://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/gas-x-for-dogs/

Warnings about over the counter meds for dogs that lists  MEDS WITH XYLITOL IN THEM, INCLUDING BEANO!
ALWAYS check with your vet before giving any OTC meds.
http://www.cecity.com/ncpa/2014_projects/otc_petmeds/print.pdf

https://smartdogowners.com/is-gasx-safe-for-dogs/

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

• 2 months later...

We have officially adopted Fay!  Took her to the vet for a first checkup on Wednesday, Nov. 4 with a stool sample.  So, now we know she does have hooks, scoring a "3" out of "5."  Not sure if that is a universally accepted rating or just my vet's.  We are going to be starting her on Advantage Multi.  He suggests using Pepcid for stomach upset and NOT Pepto Bismal or Gas X. I am probably splitting hairs here but I wish there weren't so many choices!