How settled should my rescue greyhound be after 1 month?

Hello,

We adopted our greyhound one month ago today. One of the reasons we picked her was that she ran up to us in the kennels with a big waggy tail. However, since coming home she just looks miserable all the time. We've been giving her lots of praise and treats but making sure she also gets peace and quiet so as not to overwhelm her. She still looks uncomfortable whenever we come near her, moving her body away, licking her lips, yawning etc. At first we had to physically pick her up to go on walks because she was so terrified of outside but now she'll get herself up after coaxing, which is an improvement. She doesn't like any toys and doesn't want to go anywhere in our house other than her corner spot. It just feels like she was so much happier back at the kennels. All videos and advice online seems to show greyhounds adjusting for a week or two and then jumping all over the sofa, but ours is nothing like that.  

Are we doing something wrong? We've been in touch with the kennels and they seem concerned as if it's not normal behaviour. They suggested another dog may help but I don't think we'd be able to look after two greyhounds. Is it cruel to be separating her from other greyhounds if that's where she gets her confidence from?

Thanks

Every dog is an individual, so I would not say what you're experiencing is unusual.   The "traditional" timing says 3 weeks-3 months-3 years, for changes in settling in.  In my experience it's more like 6 weeks-4 months-1 year.  Your girl is just taking a little longer than most. 

Just remember that everything - literally everything - in her short life has been changed rather drastically overnight.  Yes, she was probably happy at the kennel because that's what she knew and loved.  It's a HUGE HUGE HUGE change for some greyhounds to move into a home environment.  It doesn't mean they won't or can't be happy there, just that it's really different.

The one caveat I will put here is if she's a dog who simply can not be left alone.  There is a certain percentage of dogs that really can't be solo dogs living in a house without a companion.  You would have definitely seen evidence of that already - provided you've been able to leave the house - in really destructive behavior and extreme Separation Anxiety.

If you've not seen any of that I would just keep on with what your doing and give her time and patience to adapt in her own time frame.  She'll come around.  Really!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Greysmom is right. Some greyhounds take longer than others to adjust to their new world. It took Grace nearly two years and she still surprises me occasionally. Go on with your lives without paying much attention to her and let her get used to you and your goings on. If she's going to the toilet in your yard/garden don't force her to go for a walk until she's ready.

Don't compare her to the greyhounds on the videos as they only show the selected highlights. Greyhounds are supposed to like curling up next to their owners, Grace doesn't but will now let you sit next to her after having her for a year . Greyhounds are supposed to do zoomies all the time, Grace doesn't (probably because of her corns.) Greyhounds are supposed to lean on you, Grace doesn't. Greyhounds are supposed to not like being left alone, Grace couldn't care less as she knows I will be coming back.

If you decide that she is not going to be happy with you don't take it as a failure on either you or the hounds part. No one is going to judge you. Let the kennels take her back and try again.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Hi all, I am in a similar situation. My newly fostered greyhound doesn’t like going outside. But when he’s out there he is comfortable walking in my front/back yard but not the sidewalk. Is there anything I can do or just be patient and kind? 

10 hours ago, HeyRunDog said:

If she's going to the toilet in your yard/garden don't force her to go for a walk until she's ready.

For both RachaelM and Greyhoundlover -- can your adoption group hook you up with a reasonably nearby hound and human who would be willing to meet with you for a walk?  In a pinch, any friendly, confident dog might help, but there's nothing like another houndie to reassure yours that all will be right with their alien new world.  

But when he’s out there he is comfortable walking in my front/back yard but not the sidewalk.

Time, patience, and praise for even a few steps of success.  Also, search for pictures online of dog paws with corns.   That might be a possibility, since corns are more painful on pavement.  Or even more simple, might the pavement be too hot for comfort?  What times of day are you going out?

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/24/2020 at 4:44 PM, RachaelM said:

Hello,

We adopted our greyhound one month ago today. One of the reasons we picked her was that she ran up to us in the kennels with a big waggy tail. However, since coming home she just looks miserable all the time. We've been giving her lots of praise and treats but making sure she also gets peace and quiet so as not to overwhelm her. She still looks uncomfortable whenever we come near her, moving her body away, licking her lips, yawning etc. At first we had to physically pick her up to go on walks because she was so terrified of outside but now she'll get herself up after coaxing, which is an improvement. She doesn't like any toys and doesn't want to go anywhere in our house other than her corner spot. It just feels like she was so much happier back at the kennels. All videos and advice online seems to show greyhounds adjusting for a week or two and then jumping all over the sofa, but ours is nothing like that.  

Are we doing something wrong? We've been in touch with the kennels and they seem concerned as if it's not normal behaviour. They suggested another dog may help but I don't think we'd be able to look after two greyhounds. Is it cruel to be separating her from other greyhounds if that's where she gets her confidence from?

Thanks

A month really is nothing in the greyhound world. I spent at least two or so months convinced my grey hated his new life and was miserable (and felt terrible for him).

I think the best advice I saw was on here - your dog now is nothing like the dog you will have in 3, 6 or 12 months. When I saw that I relaxed, stopped panicking that I wasn't giving him what he needed and just left him to come out of his aloof, shell at his own pace. 

Even now, the change between 3 and 6 months here has been huge (barking playfully when he wants to go for a walk, helicopter tail regularly whizzing around, learning 'find it' games, climbing onto our bed in the morning and snuggling up, excitable zoomies - some of these didn't happen for at least 5 or 6 months). 

I personally wouldn't introduce another dog yet. Give her more time to settle and relax. But I reckon a lot of more seasoned grey owners will have some good advice re that :-)

Just to agree with the other posters really!

My boy was the most shy thing you could imagine - he still doesn't jump up or ask for cuddles, and his emotional displays are very much there but they are invisible to the average human eye.  We've had him almost 4 years and even now, if he's playing with his toys and you LOOK at him, he stops as if he's ashamed. They can be very sensitive and their body language isn't like other dogs.

I found mine really picks up on my emotions - if I'm frustrated with him (it happens) he automatically becomes harder to handle. It's hard to remember that in the moment, but I try to remember we're in the same boat me and him - we both want to be happy and have easy lives! Another thing is that if they're nervous, they can often respond well if you show them confidence. Definitely not raising your voice or anything at all like that, but projecting a "everything is OK, we've got this" vibe helped no end for me. At first I very much felt "Oh no, how do I keep this creature safe" and his response was "You mean I'm not safe?!?!?"

Have you tried providing her a crate? It can seem cruel, but you don't need to shut her in it, but just keep the door open and a blanket over the top so she has her own special safe place just for her to go to when the world feels a bit much (I can understand wanting one of those!)