Won't use the garden

My wife and I have adopted a retired greyhound and this is the 3rd greyhound we have adopted. She has just turned 4 and, I believe, has only been used to a kennel. She only came home 4 days and, naturally, she is very nervous. Unfortunately, we have to drag her out to the garden and, once there, she will not do her business. She is clean at night so she has to be walked to enable her to do her business. We picked her up at 3pm and she did not go for a wee until I took her out at 0630 the following morning, which I found quite worrying. 

I rang the rescue centre we picked her up from and they suggested picking up some of her poo and placing it in the garden which we did. But also to capture some wee but we have not been able to achieve this.

Also, we have four rooms downstairs but she stays in one room (the lounge) and will not go to the kitchen where her food is, so we have to bring it to her.

I know we are probably expecting too much far too soon but I would welcome comments from other greyhound owners who have experience similar and any positive suggestions. 

You're correct... It is still very early days and will take time and patience for her to feel comfortable and get used to her new lifestyle.

Have you tried leash-walking her around inside your yard/garden? 

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Yes, I spoke to the kennel we collected her from and they suggested the same, also collect some poo and urine when we are out and place it in the garden. We have done the poo bit but could not collect the urine without upsetting her, however, no progress yet.

Very happy to listed to any other suggestions

Still very early in the retirement phase :) To collect urine, get yourself a big ladle from the Dollar Store - you can slip it quietly right underneath the girl hounds without them suspecting too much. Works for boy hounds too, although there can be some splashing lol.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Don't worry to much about how long it is between toilet breaks. Female greyhounds can hold it better than males and Grace will sometimes go 24 hours between poos and 12+ hours between wees especially over night.

As you and BatterseaBrindl have said it's early days yet. Greyhounds are not like other dogs and sometimes seem to be more cat like than canine. Get into a routine and let her adjust at her own speed.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

We can’t be the only people who have had a wee in the garden to encourage our hound to do the same...can we? He’s a boy though and likes to have the last word so I don’t know if it will work with a girl. If you’ve had two hounds previously you’ll already know that each can be very different but it must be hard to accept some quirks and traits if your others have been easy to deal with. I’m sure she’ll come out of her shell with time.

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

is there anyone nearby with a greyhound or just a nice dog?  Invite the dog over and let it pee and poop in your yard.  If your dog seems to get along with them, you can have a quick play date.  Otherwise, leave your dog in the house.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with that - if you have a friend with a dog that could come visit and "do their business" in the yard (garden) that's very helpful.  Even if you keep your dog inside when it visits - the smell will encourage your dog. 

Don't worry!  It's early.  This will resolve quickly!