Merrick Anyone?

I am wanting to try and get some sort of consensus prior to purchasing food. 

Diamond Performance is what the doggo is currently eating. We’ve previously fed our Dobie and German Shepherd Fromm (with grain.) I’m thinking about feeding Merrick (with grain) as it is easily accessible where we live and it is also a food that I believe to be of good quality ingredients. (I used to buy the lamb one for my previous Shepherd but, my husband’s Dobie was a picky eater so we moved to Fromm.) 

Any thoughts? (Thank you.)

Never in my life would I feed Merrick.  Garth owns five dead livestock removal services in West Texas and Eastern New Mexico under the name of Tejas Industries. and has an on site rendering plant.  Decades ago he made his fortune selling Beef n' More to Wal Mart by the trainload. ..  At one time Wal Mart sold Beef n More canned for .54 and Merrick for $1.99.  Identical ingredients except for peas vs. green beans.  I actually spoke to a supervisor at the site in Hereford who assured me it was the same beef in both.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Here to echo Pam, but for different reason - https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinary/news-events/fda-investigation-potential-link-between-certain-diets-and-canine-dilated-cardiomyopathy

At this point I am choosing my dog's food as though the only five companies that exist are those who meet WSAVA guidelines - Iams, Purina, Royal Canin, Hills and Eukanuba. Grain free is only one part of the problem, and at the moment, companies who have done long term testing and employed teams of canine nutritionists to formulate good are the ones not seeing this issue, so that's what I'll be sticking to.

12 hours ago, GreytDoggoMama1 said:

that I believe to be of good quality ingredients.

You should really ask yourself why you feel this way. What does "good quality ingredients" mean to you? Does it mean, "I would eat those things myself?" Because that is exactly the thinking that has gotten hundreds of dogs sick from foods that "sound good" but aren't nutritionally complete. What sounds good to a human is not what is right or balanced or best for a dog. Here's a great resource on the "myth" of the ingredient list - https://vet.tufts.edu/wp-content/uploads/DecipheringFactFromFictionIngredients.pdf?fbclid=IwAR2m00xuQHxvv3a38ap1XctUF3OwUcLutSayjWf28g8fwj6Q6R06xoXtO0c

10 minutes ago, Bizeebee said:

Here to echo Pam, but for different reason - https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinary/news-events/fda-investigation-potential-link-between-certain-diets-and-canine-dilated-cardiomyopathy

At this point I am choosing my dog's food as though the only five companies that exist are those who meet WSAVA guidelines - Iams, Purina, Royal Canin, Hills and Eukanuba. Grain free is only one part of the problem, and at the moment, companies who have done long term testing and employed teams of canine nutritionists to formulate good are the ones not seeing this issue, so that's what I'll be sticking to.

You should really ask yourself why you feel this way. What does "good quality ingredients" mean to you? Does it mean, "I would eat those things myself?" Because that is exactly the thinking that has gotten hundreds of dogs sick from foods that "sound good" but aren't nutritionally complete. What sounds good to a human is not what is right or balanced or best for a dog. Here's a great resource on the "myth" of the ingredient list - https://vet.tufts.edu/wp-content/uploads/DecipheringFactFromFictionIngredients.pdf?fbclid=IwAR2m00xuQHxvv3a38ap1XctUF3OwUcLutSayjWf28g8fwj6Q6R06xoXtO0c

Okay...good quality ingredients to me means just that, quality ingredients. I had no idea that merrick used/got their meat/protein in that manner or so it’s clearly implied from what I’ve read. No need to come in on this post in a manner that comes across as aggressive. I’m used to feeding my dogs Fromm (grain inclusive.) So, seeing what is being fed from others, can be confusing and cause me to second guess. I was merely asking what others thought and greatly appreciate others opinions and experiences and given information. At the same time, please respect that I am asking such questions in a manner that is not asking for judgment or aggressiveness. Just because everyone has a different answer/opinion does not make someone over another. Thank you for sharing your comment though. I greatly appreciate it.

15 minutes ago, GreytDoggoMama1 said:

Okay...good quality ingredients to me means just that, quality ingredients. I had no idea that merrick used/got their meat/protein in that manner or so it’s clearly implied from what I’ve read. No need to come in on this post in a manner that comes across as aggressive. I’m used to feeding my dogs Fromm (grain inclusive.) So, seeing what is being fed from others, can be confusing and cause me to second guess. I was merely asking what others thought and greatly appreciate others opinions and experiences and given information. At the same time, please respect that I am asking such questions in a manner that is not asking for judgment or aggressiveness. Just because everyone has a different answer/opinion does not make someone over another. Thank you for sharing your comment though. I greatly appreciate it.

Whoa, hey sorry. I definitely didn't intend my input to have an aggressive tone. I'm just a broken record on this topic (as you'll see as you explore the forum) and I believe being direct about it is better than beating around the bush. There's a lot out there to take in on the topic of nutrition, and it can definitely be overwhelming. Good luck in your search!

why would anyone want to feed 2 different brands of dog food in one house unless it's medical. it's a royal PITA! i had tried Merrick on the pups years ago- the sack went back to the pet store in lightening speed record. it's JUNK!

stick with something on the current safe(hahaha) list. good luck- 

None of my dogs would eat Merrick products. At this time I'm feeding Fromm grain-inclusive (which I rotate) and a variety of different canned foods and fresh organ meats.  Trying to avoid the lentils, peas, chickpeas, etc. I feel that a varied diet is healthier than feeding one food exclusively.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think there could be a consensus on this forum about foods, unless the consensus was that people should just try to find foods that do best for their individual dogs.  And I'm sure we have different definitions of "do best," as well.  :)  My definition is glossy coat, maintains normal weight, dog eats the food willingly, few tummy rumbling sounds or gas, and produces a relatively small amount of relatively firm stool.  All within a budget I can tolerate.  And nowdays, meet the WSAVA guidelines.  As posted above, I also try to feed my two dogs the same food just for my convenience.  I always seem to have at least one dog with a delicate tummy.  I've trialed as many as 4-5 dry foods before finding one that fit the criteria, and I'm not loyal to any brand.  Whatever works.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter