Process Of Getting Therapy Certification

Hello, in the process of adopting my grey. Have been working with the grey rescue for getting my boy and they have found me one that would be a good fit for both possible therapy dog as well as a good fit for my home. Anyone here who has gone through the process to become a therapy team? How do I begin the process after he gets settled in? I greatly appreciate the advice. I have had one other grey before but am new to therapy dog process. I am just reading and researching as much as I can, I am having a hard time finding any clear cut information for the process itself though. Thank you.

I have been actively involved with St John Ambulance Therapy Dogs since 1999.

Started with a GSDx. Then a PointerX, one of our Dobes ...and now all 4 Greyhounds have been certified.

3 Greys have also passed the very difficult Child Certification. Sid will take that test in the summer.

The dog/handler have to have a minimum of 30 adult visits before doing the child test

You will just have to find a Therapy Dog organisation and that will depend on where you live. Every organisation has different criteria.

Our group tests spring and fall. The child testing is done only once year.

For us it is just a matter of submitting an application, attending a pre-certification seminar and then the actual certification, which takes about 3 hours. It is done in a group setting with up to 6 dogs at one time.

All applicants need an up-to-date Police criminal check. Dogs need to have a health form signed by the Vet. Vaccines must be up to date.

Personal references for handlers are carefully checked. Long term care and hospitals require a negative TB test.

Here, St John Ambulance Dogs are the only ones allowed to visit at our hospitals / schools.

LTC is not as picky and many allow other types of TD to visit.

Good luck... it is the most very rewarding volunteer work that I have ever done.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

My Gracie was certified through Therapy Dogs International. There are many similar organizations. I'd give your new dog at least 6 months to settle in. During that time work on basic commands - sit, stay, etc.

Some places, like nursing homes, may allow you in without certification. Having certification with a big organization like TDI provided us with liability insurance.

I would avoid classes at Petsmart and the like. We were fortunate to get tested with TDI, along with several other greyhounds and their owners from our adoption group.

Gracie and I went to nursing homes and group homes for young children, physical rehab departments in hospitals, the USO, our county's daytime senior daycare center, among others.

My favorite was going to the Greyhound Bus depot at Camp Lejeune Marine Corp base to visit with the young guys waiting for buses home on holidays.

The young fella was the station manager's grandson. The bus driver wasn't too sure about Gracie. At the time several of us GT folks around the country were taking pictures of our greys in bus costumes. Normally a therapy dog is not allowed to dress up.

31478659_2056906821301078_17859538137865

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

There are different therapy groups and they have different qualifications that need to be met. I have had dogs work with Leashes of Love and their testing is very basic and easy. Now my girl works for Paws for People and they have 10 skills that must be achieved and it is a little harder. They go into hospitals, work at the library and schools, as well as many public events. Not knowing where you live, makes it difficult to recommend a group. Since you are doing your research, I am sure that you will find a group to join and team with your new dog.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Two of my angel greyhounds had earned their Canine Good Citizen certif from the American Kennel Club and went on to be registered therapy dogs with what was then the Delta Society. Current greyhound Aiden has his CGC and is registered with Pet Partners (fka Delta Soc). The AKC skills on which your pup and you will be tested are online and you can work on them at home. What Ducky said above is correct, we also have liability insurance with Pet Partners.

Good luck! Visiting wherever you go is the most rewarding work and the training is a wonderful way for you and your hound to bond.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

each and every dog is different. emily, managed to get her Canine Good Citizenship title and certified thru TDI within 6 weeks after her adoption. We used 2 different programs, one had a grant and no fee, so we went with that. she was 4.5 when she came off the track, never saw a kid in her life and was the very best at Noogieland, the children's component of Gilda's Club. Start with basic obedience classes and watch your pup blossom. If for some reason obedience does not click(it happens) then your dog might be an excellent greyhound ambassador at meet and greets for your local group. in other words- go with the flow and ENJOY! and most of all your new pup needs to ENJOY his new life!