Indoor Games To Play With Your Hound?

Anyone have any games they like to play with their hound indoors?

Our guy Bismarck has a bit more energy than our last hound (he plays fetch!) but does not care for playing out in the yard any more than necessary now that it is cold. We've done a basic training class and we do reps of that stuff, but laying down and "leaving it" get boring for him (and us) after a while. And our house layout/flooring isn't really conducive to indoor fetch, so I was hoping some of you might have some suggestions of things you do/games you play with your dog in the house?

He likes toys insofar as he can squeak them until they die :)

I play "find the kibble" with my pups. I put them in a room and close the door. Then I hide pieces of kibble throughout the house, let them out, and tell them to "find the kibble". They run through the house looking and will continue to look off and on all day. Keeps them busy for a few minutes.

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

I play "find the kibble" with my pups. I put them in a room and close the door. Then I hide pieces of kibble throughout the house, let them out, and tell them to "find the kibble". They run through the house looking and will continue to look off and on all day. Keeps them busy for a few minutes.

He would LOVE this. But do you find that playing this game kind of encourages your dogs to ransack the house when you aren't playing the game?

He would LOVE this. But do you find that playing this game kind of encourages your dogs to ransack the house when you aren't playing the game?

No I haven't. But I don't hide the kibble anywhere that they have to dig for it. I will put it near table legs, on their beds, behind chairs, things like that. I first started out by having them follow me while I dropped pieces as I walked around the house.

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

Nigel has a treat ball that keeps him happy for several minutes in the morning.

https://www.amazon.ca/Omega-Paw-Tricky-Treat-Orange/dp/B0002DK26M/ref=asc_df_B0002DK26M/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=292982192345&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8050665851056845458&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9000653&hvtargid=pla-353967743454&th=1

Nixon never showed any interest in the ball.

Ruby follows Nigel around and steals his kibbles.

Sid has no idea how it work. He just steals the ball and lays it in front of him on his bed an thinks the kibble will magically fall out ;)

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Hide and go seek the human. It's a great way to teach or reinforce the "stay" command. Either that, or you'll need a second human to hold the dog till you call. It's hilarious to see just how wired they are for sight when hunting you. You'll be behind a door, and they go dashing past you -- they heard you, they smell you, but they can't SEE you -- OMG WHERE ARE YOU?

Since your guy likes toys, he might like a rousing game of tug-of-war with a sturdy towel or rope toy. I was afraid at first that I'd inadvertently teach them to resist me, but it's the other way around -- I tell them the command to tug, and then the command to drop it and give a treat. Great fun, with fierce growls and attempts at death shakes (the dog, not me). I did have one dog who would not participate -- evidently thought it was rude behavior.

Hurdles. Make them out of light objects that will not hurt their feet if they hit them while jumping. Yardsticks lying loosely on stacks of books. Belts or leashes. Paper grocery bags filled with newspapers for recycling and turned on their sides. Begin very low and gradually raise height. Set up in a straight line through several doorways, or gradually more advanced in a course around the house. Again, the dog will need a good stay command or a second person to hold him till you call.

I've been toying with the idea of teaching weave poles inside.

Google "nosework."

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Our boy likes to play catch with an assortment of small stuffed toys, he lays on his bed and we gently toss the stuffiey to him. He catches them in his mouth and uh hmm chews and shakes and tries to mutilate them. Helps him burn up energy. We have hardwood floors so he has to be careful with zooming or he ends up skating.