New Grey W/ Worms

Adopted a new Grey about 6 weeks ago and was checked out by the vet. Had a fecal done and has hookworm and tapeworm. I got two rounds of meds and Ill need to do a new fecal sample 30 days later. If positive, yet another round of meds. $$$$$. Is this my responsibility if the rescue never did ANY testing except for heartworm? Beyong spaying or neutering, thats all they do, along with rabies shots. Not even a dental anymore, so I will need to get that done too bc the vet said I should get a dental soon too since greyhound teeth are awful. This is my second grey fro this rescue and this experience is nothing like the first years ago.

Almost all the dogs adopted have tapes and unfortunately hooks are becoming very common and hard to get rid of. It seems that hooks run thru and racing kennel and with so many dogs, they just pass them on. With our last boy, our vet said he would need a dental in a few months. We bought the Milk Bone dental chews and the vet was amazed. We gave one a day and his teeth are perfect. We have him three years and he has never had a dental. Try it for your dog. It might save you on the dental. Good luck. I am sorry about the worms.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Almost all the dogs adopted have tapes and unfortunately hooks are becoming very common and hard to get rid of. It seems that hooks run thru and racing kennel and with so many dogs, they just pass them on. With our last boy, our vet said he would need a dental in a few months. We bought the Milk Bone dental chews and the vet was amazed. We gave one a day and his teeth are perfect. We have him three years and he has never had a dental. Try it for your dog. It might save you on the dental. Good luck. I am sorry about the worms.

It’s disappointed to hear that’s the norm. The dental, although way more expensive, is not a surprise. Worms, on the other, is not. My last grey couldn’t be adopted bc he was being dewormed for 10 mos. The vet said she had a rescue and a fecal test is par for the course before they are adopted. Is that untrue? That’s what I’m trying to figure out.

Honestly, fecals are commonly falsely negative so there would be no guarantee even if they did or had tested. My group never tested, we just prophylactically dewormed since most of the dogs came in with worms so that was the cheaper option. Unfortunately with the hook resistance issue, an initial deworming isn't going to cut it.

I recommend reading through the hookworm thread in this forum and working with yiur vet to follow the prison protocol that seems to be working for most.

As far as the dental goes, did your vet recommend it just because "greyhounds have bad teeth" or because there are clear signs that a dental is necessary right now? Not all greyhounds have bad teeth, mine are a small subset of 3, but only one has had bad teeth, one only needed dentals when he got older, and the other, who I was told needed one when I did her initial vet visit never needed one in her life after I switched her to raw. So if there's nothing serious going on, you might try a routine of brushing and bones that will clean her teeth and see where that gets you for now.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I'm a Jersey girl, where abouts are you?

All the group's I know of around here do dentals. And unfortunately worms seem to becoming resistant to the dewormers.

Once your new furkids is free of the hooks bring them over for a playdate. I have one girl and a whole acre to run in.

Hey neighbor! Im right near Point Pleasant! How about you. An acre sounds WONDERFUL! We would love to take you up on your offer. I’ll be in touch once she’s better!

As far as the dental goes, did your vet recommend it just because "greyhounds have bad teeth" or because there are clear signs that a dental is necessary right now? .

Oh I noticed them myself. I’m a helicopter mom when it comes to my fur kids, but I def am not a fan of anesthesia, so I’d never do anything unneeded. One side just has a little tartar, but the other is much worse. I would prob just get a “touch up” where they don’t put them under at all. Then upkeep myself with bones and brushing.

I used to live in NW NJ... now on Long Island. I don't know of any NE rescue that can adopt out dogs with dentals... it costs MINIMUM $1,000 for a dental in these areas...

I got 3 of my 4 greys from south Jersey rescue... pretty sure they had worms, and one was infested with ticks.... spent over an hour pulling over 50 ticks out of all 4 paws her first day home... they get them from the track, or bounces from other homes, and house them until they find their next homes... no money for extras... just the necessary spay/neuter if not done already...

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.