Excess Water Drinking And Accidents In The House

We've had our 2 year old male grey for 2.5 months now (and he's awesome). The first few weeks we had trouble house breaking him as there were near daily accidents in the house. Then one day we caught him in the act and told him no and the accidents stopped. We considered him fully house trained soon after as there were no accidents and he's slowly learning to use the bell to go out.

However the past few days he's had several uncharacteristic accidents:

- We are alone training him for separation anxiety. We took him out and later realized he urinated in his crate while laying down. This is very much unlike him, he's only done it once before when he was brand new.

- Today he was playing with with one his toys and mid play he urinated on the carpet mid play session. This was only 3 hours after we last took him out and the amount of urine he had was still huge.

We've noticed his water intake has gone way up as of late. My wife and I work from home and take him out 4 or more times a day and he never fails to have a lot of urine each time.

His diet hasn't changed or anything but he did just finish up his second round of hookworm meds. I'd say on average we are filling his water bowl 3 times a day and we fill his dry food with water so he doesn't eat so fast. So I'd say he's drinking between 80 - 120 ounces of water a day and he's only 64 pounds.....

Is it time to take him to the vet?

Edited by incredibletaco

I would make an appointment and have labs done to make sure everything is in check. Could be anything from stress to a UTI. Most of these hounds will not go in their crate unless they absolutely can't hold it, and unless you were gone for longer than usual, or he's stressing out at being alone, you want to rule out any other medical issue. It;s always good to get established with the vet shortly after your hound arrives and have a wellness check if you haven't done so. Good luck.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Check for a UTI first, that's the most likely culprit. If that doesn't turn anything up blood work might be in order, especially if you haven't done any. Always good to have a baseline and check for issues like anemia with the hooks.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

It definitely could be medical or behavioral, especially with him being so new. However, I just wanted to share my experience with my girl, Razzy. She was drinking a lot and peeing in the house a lot, at certain times of year, even though she is completely housebroken. After testing her several times for medical issues with no diagnosis, we realized over the years it was happening in November, when we usually turn the heat on. Our house was so dry she was drinking a lot more and not able to hold it as long. We have a humidifier now and monitor her water intake. Good luck!

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

• 3 months later...

We've had our 2 year old male grey for 2.5 months now (and he's awesome). The first few weeks we had trouble house breaking him as there were near daily accidents in the house. Then one day we caught him in the act and told him no and the accidents stopped. We considered him fully house trained soon after as there were no accidents and he's slowly learning to use the bell to go out.

However the past few days he's had several uncharacteristic accidents:

- We are alone training him for separation anxiety. We took him out and later realized he urinated in his crate while laying down. This is very much unlike him, he's only done it once before when he was brand new.

- Today he was playing with with one his toys and mid play he urinated on the carpet mid play session. This was only 3 hours after we last took him out and the amount of urine he had was still huge.

We've noticed his water intake has gone way up as of late. My wife and I work from home and take him out 4 or more times a day and he never fails to have a lot of urine each time.

His diet hasn't changed or anything but he did just finish up his second round of hookworm meds. I'd say on average we are filling his water bowl 3 times a day and we fill his dry food with water so he doesn't eat so fast. So I'd say he's drinking between 80 - 120 ounces of water a day and he's only 64 pounds.....

Is it time to take him to the vet?

Did you ever figure out what was going on with your pup? Ours has some overlapping symptoms/behaviors so I'm curious to hear from anyone who's dealt with the same.