I adopted a 3 year old male greyhound five days ago. First day went really well great on walks, toileting fine all was good. Second day started freezing on walks and sometimes refusing to go outside. Third day was difficult to get him to go far at all. Fourth day followed advice from the rescue centre about being firm and in control using gentle pressure on lead and we got on great all walks went well but then couldn't get him to go out last thing at night. This morning I managed eventually after his breakfast to get him to go out and then at 10.30am we went for another short walk. Since then he has gone to the back door several times and let me get us both ready but then he won't go out the door or will only stand on the step just outside the door. He won't even go down the steps into the garden so he hasn't been to the toilet for about 8 hours.

He will go potty when he has to. This is somewhat common when a hound arrives in a new home. We've had posts here over the years where some won't go for close to 24 hours after they arrive.

Everything is new to your hound, including a whole new routine. The more you can structure the outings at regular intervals and structured times, the easier it will get.

Edited typos -

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Everything is so new. Be patient and he'll go outside with you when he has to go and when he's emotionally ready.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Some greyhounds have a problem with doors - not sure why but, they are hesitant to go through them. Make sure the door is open wide and don't let it close fast behind him -- use a treat to get him through the door.

New greyhounds also sometimes get overwhelmed with all the "new stuff" in their lives. Maybe keep walks short and to the same area. If he statues, let him stand there for a bit and just talk to him. Again, use treats to get him moving again

Thanks for the reassurance. He came out with me first thing this morning and we made it a few minutes down the road into the top of the park. He did his business and then turned for home. I gave him lots of praise and a treat. He is refusing to go out again now but at least I know he will when he needs too. I'll just be patient with him.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm a new greyhounder as well! Had mine for just under two weeks. Exact same scenario. Great at first, no issues with walks at all, but now a lot of freezing on walks and sometimes won't go out at all. She refused to go out this morning and it has now been 12 hours since she last relieved herself. I'm trying not to worry too much. I wonder if any experienced owners might suggest a general timeline of when things tend to settle in and when we might anticipate these issues starting to resolve. I know each one is different, but any insight would be great! Also, when she is wanting to skip a walk, is it best to wait and try shortly thereafter? Or better to wait till her next scheduled walk 2-3 hours later? So appreciating this forum!

As you say each hound is different but Grace will regularly go 15 hours between toilet breaks. She gets a 30 minute walk at 7 in the morning and another walk about 4:30 in the afternoon. Sometimes an additional walk sometime during the day or evening depending on the weather or what I'm doing. She has had only one accident and that was at my "understanding" mother's :ohno when we didn't realise that repeatedly going to the door meant she needed to go and not just explore the rest of her flat.

As for settling in. Again each hound is different but it can take between 3 months and a year to totally be comfortable with their new lives. Patience and humour are your best tools and don't push things and above all enjoy your greyhound taking over your life.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

After about 3 weeks the walks got easier. I arranged a walk with another greyhound which seemed to help. We've had Paddy about 6 weeks now and he is usually keen to go on his walks. Now and then he will refuse, if it's raining too hard or he's just not in the mood so I just leave it and try again at his next walk time. He will sometimes not relieve himself for 12-14 hours because he won't go outside before bed! He seems pretty settled and far more relaxed now.