Assisi Loop - Battery

1 hour ago, Brokenwing said:

Hey all. I just got the Assisi loop from my vet and they failed to mention that it will only last for ONE MONTH for my cat with pancreatitis, (they also sold me a SMALL 10cm one and I can't exchange it for a larger one meanwhile they had opened the box for me, I didn't even see the closed box so I'm angry about that!).. I was happy to spend around 600 Canadian on something that can help me cat's pancreatitis but, EVERY MONTH? That's INSANE and truly, they are thieves, to say the least! To ask people to throw these still functioning machines out after the battery dies is also polluting the planet. Things like this SHOULD BE ILLEGAL, truly. We are filling this planet with JUNK and garbage because of companies like these who only think about themselves. And who ever said that they had to make it like this so they can have it FDA approved, that is not correct. That is just an excuse someone came up with for marketing reasons. The ones they sell for humans is just 25$, think about it for a second. I'm not sure if it's the same frequency, can anyone find out? 

So anyone who has an Assisi loop, look in your neighborhood for a cell phone or laptop or any type of electronics REPAIR SHOP, go to them and ask them to change the battery for you and they will gladly do it and not charge a lot. If you get reachable batteries, (they don't have to be the same KIND) they have to be similar voltage and amp, yes but they can be different size, shop around, they can change them with rechargeable ones. The electronics people will know what to do. No need to ask people online. It might help if you open the cover yourself though and take it to them with it opened. They can change the battery for your while you stand. My father had an electronics repair shop for many years when I was growing up and he would have gladly helped anyone out in similar situations.

So look for rechargeable batteries with the same amp and volt and change it with that. You can even make a new compartment for it if need be. There are types of Clay that you mix and you shape it into whatever you want and it hardens after.. Or you can get a piece of plastic from another device and fashion a cover. 

To anyone who has a LOOP with a dead battery that is larger than 10cm, (20cm and up) I would be interested in buying your loop from you. PLEASE DON"T THROW THEM OUT. Resell them online. Let those manufacturers know that they are doing something wrong! Put them on ebay or your local reseller website (I use Kijiji in Toronto). If you are in Toronto, I'll gladly buy it. 
lanahandal@hotmail.com

Most battery businesses in the US won't touch these devices. The devices are regulated as medical devices by the FDA and no longer certified once broken open. Businesses don't want that liability. This is going to be a DIY project for the most part here, either on your own or by that friend who can solder.   The battery stores will happily sell you the batteries though. 

My father-in-law was in the battery business for about 40 years. They won't touch medical devices unless they are certified for them and have the equipment to recertify the device, which in this case isn't a thing. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/24/2023 at 6:56 PM, Time4ANap said:

Most battery businesses in the US won't touch these devices. The devices are regulated as medical devices by the FDA and no longer certified once broken open. Businesses don't want that liability. This is going to be a DIY project for the most part here, either on your own or by that friend who can solder.   The battery stores will happily sell you the batteries though. 

My father-in-law was in the battery business for about 40 years. They won't touch medical devices unless they are certified for them and have the equipment to recertify the device, which in this case isn't a thing. 

Ahh... well you seem to be making a big deal out of this.. It's not like it's a ventilator to keep someone in a comma breathing.. There is no warranty from the company so it's not like there is any warranty that goes off if you open it and it's for animals, not humans... so no one is going to give a poop. People kill and eat a couple of billion animals a day, so again, not a ventilator to keep a human alive.
The electrician (not battery person, I don't know what a battery person is) will realize this is not a serious looking machine and will gladly change batteries if especially if they are a small mom and pop shop. 

3 hours ago, Brokenwing said:

Ahh... well you seem to be making a big deal out of this.. It's not like it's a ventilator to keep someone in a comma breathing.. There is no warranty from the company so it's not like there is any warranty that goes off if you open it and it's for animals, not humans... so no one is going to give a poop. People kill and eat a couple of billion animals a day, so again, not a ventilator to keep a human alive.
The electrician (not battery person, I don't know what a battery person is) will realize this is not a serious looking machine and will gladly change batteries if especially if they are a small mom and pop shop. 

Sounds like you should have simply done your research before purchasing this. Have a great day. 

:dontfeedtrolls

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

here because the post got reported.

The device is FDA Cleared, NOT FDA Approved, massive difference. It is not a regulated medical device. Clearance is a step to approval though.

A device that is truly “cleared” may not have FDA’s affirmative blessing, but it has certainly passed a basic level of scrutiny and the door is now open to market.

But many devices, especially health and wellness or even 510(k) exempt devices, erroneously claim that they are FDA “cleared.” Think about it. If the device never required a 510(k) clearance in the first place, the words “FDA cleared” are meaningless.

Source: https://www.in2being.com/videos/fda-approval-vs-clearance/

I'm an electronic tech by trade, I'd open it up to solder in a new battery without thinking twice about it.

large.greyhound_signature.gif

On 1/26/2023 at 7:24 PM, Jeff said:

here because the post got reported.

The device is FDA Cleared, NOT FDA Approved, massive difference. It is not a regulated medical device. Clearance is a step to approval though.

Source: https://www.in2being.com/videos/fda-approval-vs-clearance/

I'm an electronic tech by trade, I'd open it up to solder in a new battery without thinking twice about it.

Thanks for clearing things up Jeff. That's what I've been trying to say and I couldn't have said it better. 

On 1/26/2023 at 1:48 PM, Brokenwing said:

And I meant electronics tech not electrician. oops.

• 7 months later...

Hi folks,  well, I started to read this lengthy topic and realized that the answer I have come up with is probably not here.

Yes, you can change the batteries.  Not only that but with a little more soldering than simply replacing the soldered batteries, I added a two cell battery holder to the outside of the original case, and soldered it into  the PCB.  I have run through approximately 30 sets of batteries - perhaps as many as 40 - and have no trouble until today when the whole unit refused to function - extensive use frayed the thin + wire from one of the batteries.  The fix was to replace the thin wire with a more robust version.  Our very old PWD (15yr) has needed this device for the last 2.5 years - we loop her as many as six time a day - depending on how much time we waste between loops.  We do adhere to the 2 hour suggestion, of course.  Still not actually sure if that request is a medical one or to simple extend the life of the Loop.  Just post if you would like more info.

• 2 months later...
On 9/19/2023 at 8:43 AM, NickK said:

Hi folks,  well, I started to read this lengthy topic and realized that the answer I have come up with is probably not here.

Yes, you can change the batteries.  Not only that but with a little more soldering than simply replacing the soldered batteries, I added a two cell battery holder to the outside of the original case, and soldered it into  the PCB.  I have run through approximately 30 sets of batteries - perhaps as many as 40 - and have no trouble until today when the whole unit refused to function - extensive use frayed the thin + wire from one of the batteries.  The fix was to replace the thin wire with a more robust version.  Our very old PWD (15yr) has needed this device for the last 2.5 years - we loop her as many as six time a day - depending on how much time we waste between loops.  We do adhere to the 2 hour suggestion, of course.  Still not actually sure if that request is a medical one or to simple extend the life of the Loop.  Just post if you would like more info.

Thank you for your post and sharing your experience - I’ve been following this thread since purchasing a Loop for my baby (weighs less than 3 lbs) around May 2023.  I’m impressed by how hardy this device is, and irritated that Assisi doesn’t have a battery/recertification service.  

My baby usually doesn’t tolerate usage for the entire 15 minutes and literally gets up and walks away when he’s had his therapeutic fill, so sessions have been short at about 5-10 minutes, usually about 9 minutes but sometimes 15 min if the pain is high and 5 min on a good day.  I space usage out by 2+ hours as suggested by Assisi.  He’s using it at least once per day, and at the worst times (which have been rare), three 15 minute sessions daily.  

Our loop has just started to show battery is low/quick flashing (so it’s lasted about 6 months which really exceeded my expectations).  

The Loop is SUCH a useful tool and despite its initial expense, I’ve been able to delay acupuncture appointments from 1-2x per week to 1-2x per month.  (Acupuncture costs about $85-100 from the vets he’s seeing...adds up quickly).  

So basically the Loop cost me $50/month vs. up to $400 average for acupuncture.  But I’ve spent about $16K in the past 12 months on both of my fur babies (most of it has been Emergency Room visits).  I don’t even have a job due to multiple health issues so my parents foot most of the bill, which I need to pay back.  I so need to curb my spending anyway I can.  

I’m just wondering about your set up with the external battery holder?  Would there also be enough space to be able to solder on a battery holder internally?  Etc??   I’ve schooled myself on soldering in preparation for the big day but have actually yet to try it, but it doesn’t seem to difficult, if I’m correct.  

This thread may seem a little dead but A LOT of people are searching for info like you’ve provided, according to the staffs at the multiple vets I see, and I’m sure the people interested who know how to use the internet see this page as it always is one of the first topics seen in searching.

ANY insights, photos, video would be so amazing and APPRECIATED!!!  I’d even say a major contribution to society and stressed out pet parents as well as adding to the quality of life for multiple pets across different species.  THANKS AGAIN for your post and sharing your experience!!❤️👍😍🫶🤙

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning Funnay - pleased that my work with the loop has interested you.  Unfortunately, Sailor (my 16yo Portie) passed away a few weeks ago.  I don't have the loop that I have been referencing anymore. 

To answer you question, no, there is not enough room in the case to mount an internal battery holder.  The inside is jam-packed with 'non user-serviceable' parts.  However, with some careful work with a thin flat-blade implement (be careful, of course, if you decide to use a knife), you can split the glued halves.  You will need to cut the collars ('ears') around each end of the antennae.  Keep the collars for reinstallation.  Remove the two dead batteries and you will see where the contacts join the PCB.  You can find battery holders on amazon or ebay.  They only come in groups of five, I believe, but they are cheap and all come with red and black leads.  Each battery in the holder will be connected to one of the battery slots on the PCB.  The PCB is marked with a  '+' and '-' so just be sure to solder red to plus and black to minus.  Probably the hardest part of all this is locating the correct placement of the leads inside the shell as you close up the two halves.  Some hot-glue at three or four points around the halves will help to keep them closed.  

Oh, you should have a few inches of big heat-shrink tube if you want to try to make the end result as close to original as possible.  If you do want this, you will need to unsolder one  end of the antennae so that you can slide the shrink tube onto the antennae, re-solder the loose end, slide the tubes down over the the two 'ears' where the antennae joins the shell, and then shrink the tube to grip the 'ears'.  To be honest, I only did this once.  The shrink tubes only stayed in place a couple of weeks and I ended up simply using electrical tape instead.

Lastly, I ended up using a thick rubber band to keep the external battery holder flat against the shell.  Hot-glue did not work well, and I didn't want to make a permanent join between the shell and the battery case.  It looked a little 'DIY' after all this but considering that fact that I saved probably ~$5000+, I figure the visual result was acceptable.  Keep the shell clean and you will be satisfied.

I hope this is clear enough for you replicate the task.  Just be sure to read it through a couple of times before you start so that you have all the parts available when you begin - a lot like making Christmas Cookies.

Nick

• 2 months later...

Hello all, I'm following this thread and really appreciate so the insight. As others have stated, a pet parent here VERY interested in extending the life of my Assisi Loop that just stopped working today (after ~5 min of faster-flashing green light). That said, I'm not handy enough to tackle the soldering involved battery replacement. After reading all posts, I think opting to take the device to a local repair shop is best for me. I'd like to take it in opened, however. Can anyone please lay out the best steps to open the device enough to access the batteries?

For some, that was the hardest step; but replacing (2) CR2032 batteries with feet + unsoldering & resoldering is the definite winner on what goes beyond my capabilities! I just want to know how to open the device - was thinking of using an exacto knife to carefully cut along the black line where the 2 white faces meet. Will that do, or will it still require I mess the plastic wraps on either end of where the loop connects?

My last resort will be to toss my loop (or email the poster in Toronto who offered to buy old ones) and buy new. Which I really want to avoid as it's cost-prohibitive. Thank you!