Foot Pain And Nails

mrsmcd7

My hound just got up from crate (he goes in his crate sometimes on his own) and cried holding his anterior left paw up. Crying off and on. Gave him tramadol that he has from last year. Seems to be calming down. No visible or witnessed injury. Also on a side note, his nails are always long. Groomer hits quick every time but they're still long. Advice? X-ray needed?

I'd say give him a few minutes if this just happened. If he has a limp or can't put weight on it, then a vet visit is definitely in order.

Sometimes by waiting a few minutes whatever is happening goes away. You don;t want to show up at the vet and find out he must have had a leg cramp that has gone away and now costs $200 for the exam.

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Long nails can and do cause foot pain. In my home, I would make an conscious effort and ensure his nails are trimmed and watch him for a few months before doing anything more. And keep Tramadol on hand.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

They think spine-- neck, thoracic and lower back issues. He went through this 4 years or so ago and it was awful. That time We ended up back at hospital with an over night stay due to pain. I'm an RN. This time I asked them for steroid shot in addition to the taper they want him on and better pain meds before leaving. They did give him some IV steroids and methadone but now we're home and he's still only turning in circles to his right and won't lay down. Shaking a lot. Won't take the gabapentin in PB or cheese. Help!!!!

Edited by mrsmcd7

Poor guy. Sorry you have to deal with this. Give him a little time to calm down from the vet visit. He should tire out and lie down eventually.

Maybe try putting his pills in ball of canned dog food or piece of hot dog. He may just not want to eat at the moment in which case you may have to pill him.

Good luck. Hope he's better soon.

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Thanks. I'm not optimistic. Last time I returned to er at 2 am. I hope you're right and he settles. He tried once and got back up due to pain. I've never given a pill besides in PB or cheese or meat. How do I "pill him"?

Edited by mrsmcd7

How do I "pill him"?

Watch a couple of these videos - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+pill+a+dog

This may be a little too late but when I had to pill my dogs it was incredibly easy and quick. I never bother with trying to put it in food. I found the following online to help try and explain the process:

Follow these steps when administering a pill to your dog:

Place your dog in a safe and comfortable area where it can be easily handled. Have the pill ready and easily accessible.

Lubricate the pill with a very small amount of margarine or butter so that it doesn't stick in your dog's mouth or throat and is easier to swallow.

Hold the pill between your thumb and index finger (Use your dominant hand - for example, if you are right-handed, use your right hand).

Gently grasp your dog's muzzle from above with your other hand, by placing your thumb behind the canine teeth on one side of the upper jaw and your fingers on the other.

Once you have a firm but gentle grip, tilt your dog's head toward the ceiling. The lower jaw will usually drop open. With your pilling hand, use the little finger and ring finger to open the dog's mouth further by gently putting downward pressure on the lower lip and front teeth.

Quickly place the pill as far back over the tongue as possible. Your dog is more likely to swallow the pill if you place it beyond the hump of the tongue at the back of the mouth. Try not to place your hand or fingers too far back in the mouth to avoid stimulating a gag reflex.

Close the dog's mouth and hold it closed while you return the head to a normal position.

Gently rub the dog's nose or throat, or blow lightly on the dog's nose. This should stimulate swallowing. Usually, the dog will lick its nose with its tongue if it has swallowed the pill.

Make sure you give plenty of praise throughout the procedure and offer a treat after giving the medication. This will make the experience more positive and make it easier to give the medication the next time.

Thanks. Back at ER. Too much pain. They're going to keep him overnight for pain management. Fentanyl patch takes 12 hrs to start working so they'll put that on now and give him other meds until it kicks in. Can't pill him because that requires lifting his head and his neck is too painful. I tried but it freaked me out when he screamed.

Thanks. Back at ER. Too much pain. They're going to keep him overnight for pain management. Fentanyl patch takes 12 hrs to start working so they'll put that on now and give him other meds until it kicks in. Can't pill him because that requires lifting his head and his neck is too painful. I tried but it freaked me out when he screamed.

If he's in that much pain then back to the ER is the right move. Hope he's feeling better in the morning.

I feel bad for having you try to pill him and him hurting to that level. It's really the only other option when you have to get them to take the meds, so back to the vet for the patch and IV meds is the only choice in this case.

Thanks time4Anap, I needed that reassurance. It may sound crazy but I was starting to picture euthanasia because I can't stand seeing my animals in pain. I hope it doesn't come to that. I hope like last time the steroids and fentanyl patch kick in. I feel like I abandoned him there. He'd rather be home but I couldn't get him comfortable enough. I can't believe the expense also! It was $530 for first exam, meds, blood work. Just put $682 deposit down for hospitalization which the total will be $950-$1200. I have pet insurance but who knows if it will cover!!

Edited by mrsmcd7

Let us know when you have an update.

I've always hated leaving Rocket at the vet when they needed to keep him for a procedure or X-Ray, even for a few hours. He never seemed to care. I think it bothers us much more than it bothers them.

They couldn't get his pain under control. They threw the heavy opioids at him to no avail. Severe anxiety and pain even with the opioids and some sedation. She thinks it was a spinal tumor. We made the hard choice to stop his suffering. We will miss him so much. He was the best dog.

Guest AmberGusDad

They couldn't get his pain under control. They threw the heavy opioids at him to no avail. Severe anxiety and pain even with the opioids and some sedation. She thinks it was a spinal tumor. We made the hard choice to stop his suffering. We will miss him so much. He was the best dog.

Godspeed....

Max (Starz Lee Max). I tried but couldn't figure out how to post his picture. My profile picture is him. Of course now I'm second guessing. Should I have tried to let him wait until MRI. Should I have waited a few more days. Etc.

Guest AmberGusDad

Max (Starz Lee Max). I tried but couldn't figure out how to post his picture. My profile picture is him. Of course now I'm second guessing. Should I have tried to let him wait until MRI. Should I have waited a few more days. Etc.

You did what you felt best for Max. Please don't spend time questionning yourself. He would not want that.

You did what you felt best for Max. Please don't spend time questionning yourself. He would not want that.

This. Do not second guess yourself. Most of us here live by a rule that says a day or two too soon is much better than day or two too late.

I too second AmberGusDad's advice. I had a similar experience with a 10 year old (loss of mobility due to a possible brain tumour) and opted not to await an MRI because she wasn't improving and the vet was losing hope. It was not an easy decision to live with, but I couldn't watch her suffer any more.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I too second AmberGusDad's advice. I had a similar experience with a 10 year old (loss of mobility due to a possible brain tumour) and opted not to await an MRI because she wasn't improving and the vet was losing hope. It was not an easy decision to live with, but I couldn't watch her suffer any more.

Thank you for sharing. This helps me.