Greyhound Acts Constantly Hungry

Guest AmazingGreys

Guest AmazingGreys

Hey everyone.

I recently adopted my first greyhound.

Everything I read/heard said that they should be fed 2 - 2.5 cups of food per day, so I've been doing that, but he acts like he is starving and foraging for food all the time. Here is what I feed him:

Around 7:00/8:00am: 2 cups of Blue Buffalo large breed dry food, topped with 2 tsp of The Missing Link Powder Supplement and one 1300mg Evening Primrose Oil capsule.

Sometime during the day around noon/1:00pm: a 3oz pouch of Blue Buffalo wet dog food

Around 7:00/8:00pm: 2 cups of Blue Buffalo large breed dry food, topped with 1 tsp of The Missing Link Powder Supplement.

He also tends to get a couple small Blue Buffalo treats in between meals when doing training.

I also make sure that he has enough toys and things to chew on - bone, a Kong, etc.

The thing is, despite that, he walks around looking for food, occasionally whining, He is constantly acting hungry and I feel bad because I dont know if he is getting enough. I dont even know how much he weights because I wasn't given that info. What should I do? How to handle?

He will get used to new schedule eventually, but be sure to check the package of the food you are feeding. Feeding guidelines are somewhat general, but they are also based on the dog's weight and caloric need. Every food will be different. Start with the suggested amount on the package for your dog's weight and adjust up or down from there slowly after about 10 days if an adjustment is needed.

Some dogs are just naturally food motivated and will do anything to get food all day long.

Edited typos because...typed before coffee :coffee

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Congrats on your new boy!

It would be a good idea to get your hounds weight. Some pet stores have a scale for dogs or Im sure a local vet wouldnt mind if you stopped in to use their scale. Maybe your planning on getting a wellness exam for him anyway..?

How are his stools? Sometimes foods that are too rich etc. run right through them and their system doesnt absorb things properly.

I agree that he will just need to get used to the schedule. I like to feed 3 meals a day.

I saw Lee Livingood speak at a greyhound event once & she had a great way to tell if your grey is the correct weight.

Make a fist

Run your fingers across the back of your hand - if ribs are like that, grey is a bit overweight

Run your fingers over your knuckles - if ribs are like that, TOO thin!

Run your fingers over your fingers in front of the knuckles - just right!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest AmazingGreys

Congrats on your new boy!

It would be a good idea to get your hounds weight. Some pet stores have a scale for dogs or Im sure a local vet wouldnt mind if you stopped in to use their scale. Maybe your planning on getting a wellness exam for him anyway..?

How are his stools? Sometimes foods that are too rich etc. run right through them and their system doesnt absorb things properly.

I agree that he will just need to get used to the schedule. I like to feed 3 meals a day.

Yes, I plan to take him next week for a wellness exam just for my peace of mind, esp since I wasn't given a lot of history/info on him from the rescue group. I was giving him this first week or so to adjust to us and the new environment.

His stools seem to be healthy - not runny and not too solid.

How much do you feed your grey per meal?

I saw Lee Livingood speak at a greyhound event once & she had a great way to tell if your grey is the correct weight.

Make a fist

Run your fingers across the back of your hand - if ribs are like that, grey is a bit overweight

Run your fingers over your knuckles - if ribs are like that, TOO thin!

Run your fingers over your fingers in front of the knuckles - just right!

Wow, if that is correct, then that is a very helpful gauge!

I'm going to try that.

I downloaded her book "Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies" a few days ago and just haven't had the time to start reading it yet, but I've heard a ton of good things and recommendations about it.

Lola acted as if she had never eaten a square meal in her life when she first came home. A year later, she still enjoys her meals but is not desperately hungry and will even skip breakfast occasionally. She will, however, sell out her own mother for a piece of cheese. ;)

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Yes, I plan to take him next week for a wellness exam just for my peace of mind, esp since I wasn't given a lot of history/info on him from the rescue group. I was giving him this first week or so to adjust to us and the new environment.

His stools seem to be healthy - not runny and not too solid.

How much do you feed your grey per meal?

I am feeding about (I don’t measure exactly) 1 cup for breakfast, 1 cup for dinner, and a half cup before bed. This varies when there are add-ins, like ground turkey for example. My greyhound weighs 51 lbs and gets about and hour of walks a day. Her dry food is not too high in protein either (26% max).

Wow, if that is correct, then that is a very helpful gauge!

I'm going to try that.

I downloaded her book "Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies" a few days ago and just haven't had the time to start reading it yet, but I've heard a ton of good things and recommendations about it.

Guest AmazingGreys

Lola acted as if she had never eaten a square meal in her life when she first came home. A year later, she still enjoys her meals but is not desperately hungry and will even skip breakfast occasionally. She will, however, sell out her own mother for a piece of cheese. ;)

Yes! Mine was literally pacing around, sniffing any and all areas for food, trying to eat crumbs, running/pushing everyone and everything out of the way to get to anything he thought was food. I'd feed him and then he would still act completely ravenous and try eating my poor iggy's food. I was legitimately concerned that maybe I was slowly starving him...it's good to know that this isn't the case!

If he's a retired racer, you can look him up and find his racing weight. That will give you a baseline for what he should weigh.

http://www.greyhound-data.com/breed.htm

You can also look up his races and watch videos of them, which is kind of fun.

http://www.trackinfo.com/dog-search.jsp

I feed 2 cups in the morning and 1 and 3/4 in the evening. He normally doesn't get much in the way of treats, but I've started a training class with him, so I'm cutting back on food a little bit because he's getting training treats.

I'm going to try that knuckle test as soon as Percy stands up. Which could be a while.