I've had my greyhound for nearly two months now, he's been settling in well - however he has recently become more hyper (hes nearly two so still quite young)

I was told how lazy and calm greyhounds where and the adoption kennels told me not to be put off by a young hound as they where also calm!

I work as a dog walker so my greyhound sometimes gets up to three hours of walking a day. He used to be super calm during the walks but has recently started lunging at other dogs, barking and jumping around. Even after he's had three hours of walking when I get home he charges around the house throwing his toys everywhere and takes a while to settle. It can be abit overwhelming as its not a very big apartment.

I feed him on Skinners duck and rice.

Is this just an age thing he'll grow out of or lack of training? Any other ideas to help calm him down!?

Thanks! :)

Short answer is Yes! He's very young - still a puppy really, no matter his size and age - and will likely grow out of thus hyper stage. It's good that he's getting a good amount of exercise, though if you can find a place for him to safely run off leash it will help a bit more.

Obedience training can help too. It will get him to focus better and give you some tools to use his energy.

FWIW, our newest was only 18 months when we got her and she was exactly like your new boy. She's 2 1/2 now and has calmed down significantly.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I've had my greyhound for nearly two months now, he's been settling in well - however he has recently become more hyper (hes nearly two so still quite young)

I was told how lazy and calm greyhounds where and the adoption kennels told me not to be put off by a young hound as they where also calm!

I told my rescue I wanted the calmest laziest dog they had and she said not to take one under 3 years old :). I'm guessing he's become more hyper either because of some sort of growth spurt or becoming more of a teenager, or just because he's settling in and feeling more comfortable and able to express himself more.

There are two types of muscles: slow twitch and fast twitch. Greyhounds are known to have a much higher fraction of fast twitch muscles.

I do not know this for a fact, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the slow twitch muscles are the only ones that are exercised on a normal walk with a human (who moves much more slowly than a greyhound), and that the fast twitch muscles need separate exercise. At least, that is my working theory to explain why my Logan will go for a long walk, look exhausted at the end, but then do zoomies in the living room as soon as we walk back into the house :-)

BTW, you do know what zoomies are, yes?

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

There are two types of muscles: slow twitch and fast twitch. Greyhounds are known to have a much higher fraction of fast twitch muscles.

I do not know this for a fact, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the slow twitch muscles are the only ones that are exercised on a normal walk with a human (who moves much more slowly than a greyhound), and that the fast twitch muscles need separate exercise. At least, that is my working theory to explain why my Logan will go for a long walk, look exhausted at the end, but then do zoomies in the living room as soon as we walk back into the house :-)

BTW, you do know what zoomies are, yes?

That makes sense! Sometimes if I walk at a faster pace he his much more tired afterwards, even if the walk is shorter. Of course I know what zoomies are, they happen regularly in my house and garden!! ;)

Short answer is Yes! He's very young - still a puppy really, no matter his size and age - and will likely grow out of thus hyper stage. It's good that he's getting a good amount of exercise, though if you can find a place for him to safely run off leash it will help a bit more.

Obedience training can help too. It will get him to focus better and give you some tools to use his energy.

FWIW, our newest was only 18 months when we got her and she was exactly like your new boy. She's 2 1/2 now and has calmed down significantly.

Thats reassuring, thank you!

High energy Greyhounds are uncommon but certainly exist and often take people by surprise. ;) Most truly do settle as they age. However, the girl I brought home at 8-weeks-old is still wild at 8-years-old. She's the exception, not the rule. She's lived with high energy breeds all her life (a Dalmatian and Ibizan Hounds, which are like Dalmatians on springs with sleeker bodies). I channelled her energy for years into hiking, lure coursing, fetch, and training. She's slowing down now (she's more like a 2-year-old Greyhound instead of a puppy :lol: ).

I'd recommend daily training (you need to nip that lunging and poor leash behavior now before they become a bigger issue). Sometimes mental stimulation will tire them out quickly. I use puzzle toys for meals with my energetic dogs and do short training exercises throughout the day (after work). Keep up with the walks, perhaps increase the pace. You may be able to turn that toy drive into brain games. A tired dog is a happy owner.

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

I've found that my youngsters usually learn an off switch somewhere around 2 years old (this is a partially trained behaviour worked on since they arrive home at 8 weeks), but don't actually truly calm down of their own accord until after 3.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest CometStar

I don't know about the leash behavior, but I've read that some dogs don't transition well from a walk or other activity to resting at home -- they need a cool-down period in between. Here's the article: http://3lostdogs.com/a-simple-daily-routine-to-help-calm-hyper-dogs-and-solve-behavior-problems/

It suggests going from exercise to something mentally stimulating, like obedience training, and then to feeding with a Kong or other toy.