Non Greyhound Medical Question

My friends red tick coonhound has been limping on and off for 2 weeks. Its definitely coming from the right rear. Shes a true hunter and runs and chases bunnies all the time. She took Reba to the Vet on Friday and he examined her and said most likely arthritis. No X-rays at that time were taken. Yesterday it got worse after getting loose. Would X-rays be the next move?? She tried Deramaxx but it seems to upset her stomach. I suggested the Pepcid AC before the NSAID. If its a soft tissue injury, that can take awhile to heal correct?? What would X-rays show? Thanks!

How old is she? At this point I think I would ask for x-rays, just to know what I was dealing with. Yes, soft tissue injuries can take weeks, even months to heal, and rest is a big part of that, hard for an active dog! My friend's blue tick coonhound had a lot of problems with her feet/toes, I don't remember exactly what now, it has been a few years, but I know surgery was involved.

I would recommend she see a good orthopedist. Likely a soft tissue injury, but she could also have a knee issue that could require surgery if not rested or addressed properly now. Sounds like a good plan of rest, physical therapy, and pain meds is in order regardless. And there are several NSAIDs she could use so an upset stomach from one isn't a reason to just not treat the pain and inflammation. Also, like someone else said, an antacid on am empty stomach, followed by food, followed by the medication.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Check for Lyme disease. Next step would be rads with sedation. Sedation is required so they can also palpate the limb and check for a draw (acl).

Tracy, they did do a full tick panel. It’s better today but she is definitely “guarding” her leg. Thanks for your input...