New 1 1/2 Year Old Will Not Go In Rain

Guest Maryriver

Guest Maryriver

Hello, My new Grey girl just refuses to go in the rain and I live in Seattle! She goes just fine otherwise and gets a treat but even with rain coat on and me holding an umbrella she won't go in the rain.

Then when we come inside she immediately goes on the carpet :weep Any suggestions? Think she will eventually go if I am persistent?

Have you tried taking her coat off? Some of them get stubborn with coats on. If that doesn't help, just stand out there with her until she goes. Try walking her where she usually goes, and if that doesn't work, walk her where other neighborhood dogs pee. Sometimes that'll trigger it!

And be sure to clean your carpet really well with something that'll get the smell out - Nature's Miracle, for instance.

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Agreeing with Roo regarding the raincoat. Some greyhounds hate coats. Umbrella might be scaring her too.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

It's very common, and yes, she will eventually learn. You just need to be patient (or at least more stubborn!)! I agree about not using a coat too. Yes, she'll be wet, but the coat is sometimes scary to newly adopted dogs. If she's on the leash just walk her aorund the spot where she normally goes. If she's loose in the yard make sure you monitor her closely to make sure she goes and doesn't try and fool you!

Up your treat value significantly when rewarding her for going outside - really have a praise-and-treat party outside right after she goes! Use the same trigger word(s) each time you go out.

Good luck!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

No coat, no umbrella, just walk around and around good spots. You can wear a raincoat yourself :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

No coat, no umbrella, just walk around and around good spots. You can wear a raincoat yourself :) .

Yep. Mine refuse to go out in the cold, snow, rain, wind, and any other weather condition that's not perfect. I gently push them out (fenced yard) by their bums and leave the room for a few minutes. I just outstubborn them.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Raincoat and a hat with a brim for you, nothing for her.

Do not just stand there--walk. Walk in circles in your yard if you have to, but keep her moving.

Of course she will eventually go.

If she does NOT go outside, do not let her loose in the house. Keep her tethered to you until she starts acting like she's about to go, then run outside again.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Tell me about it! Peggy is 10 now and never could be made to go out in heavy rain for a toilet break; and even a tiny hint of hail then just forget the idea. All I end up with is me and the dog thoroughly wet and both of us p****d with each other. I've tried going different sides of the house to be out of the wind ... tried no coat and umbrella ... nada... Peggy does not pee on demand,

But she will ask to go out when she's waited as long as she thinks she can (might be 10 hours!) and has a 'special going to the door and let me out because I really need to' behaviour pattern, regardless of the weather. I think she listens to the weather outside, and perhaps picks up subtle cues like birds starting to come back out or cars going by more quietly. She's good at signalling when the weather might have let up just enough for a walk too and is at least as good as the local weather radar!

It's the peeing indoors issue you have to address because she's going to think: 'OK, I've done it, so why are they mad at me?'

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Maryriver

Thanks to all she is getting better :nod:heart No coat, no umbrella but treats of bites of roasted beef heart! I open the door to the fenced dog run and say "you go" and walk away. She has found that she can get under the porch out of the rain a bit and that is where she goes :baloons

When I hear her feet on the steps and know she has gone out I sneak back and watch to make sure she really goes and then I get the treats. She comes back in just so waggy and proud and loves the beef heart. :preggo

You can get nice grass fed beef at Crowd Cow.com and she also likes the liver there. I par-freeze it and dice it.