Using Trazodone

Guest Pcn1

I recently used trazodone on my grey as i had difficulty in changing a bandage and wanted an alternative to acepromazine. First time gave 100mg and, after an hour another 100 mg..my grey is 72 lbs..no effect..tried twice with same effect. Hipefylly will just deal with this tempiraey situation.

Trazadone makes my 70 lb. girl catatonic and she is prescribed only once a day if needed. I strongly suggest that you contact your vet.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I have a 69 pound male who is prescribed trazadone for thunderphobia. He takes 150-200mg as needed. He only ever needs 150mg to calm down, and it makes him sleepy, but not so sleepy that he won't eat or go potty (except when we had to combine it with gabapentin and he was catatonic for like 15 hours). It usually kicks in within about 20 minutes.

That being said, some dogs have a paradoxical reaction and become agitated rather than sedated/relaxed, so do talk to your vet. Good luck!

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Pcn1, would having your dog wear a muzzle help? Smearing some peanut butter on the inside of the muzzle might be a good distraction.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

What do you mean by no effect? Do you mean you saw absolutely no changes in him whatsoever, or it didn't have the *desired* effect? Were you looking for it to sedate him or relieve some type of stress or anxiety? How long did you wait after giving the second dose to determine there was "no effect"?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I have a very anxious foster, who was prescribed 150 mg Trazadone 3x/day. Made him a zombie dog.

On my own, I cut the dose in half......75 mg 3x/day, which is helping, but I better not be late with a dose........

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

I don't know how dogs work, but I take 100-150 mg/night for sleep (so knocking me out) and that's considered a decently high dose in a person. For injuries that can wait a little bit for me to get a look at, I give extra Tramadol and then muzzle to be safe.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.