New Interest In Cat

(Me again, sorry!)

When we adopted Cameron, she was classified as "cat workable". While we were picking her up, there were cats in the kennel just roaming around. She looked interested, but was not chasing or anything. We were explained this is why she was classified cat workable. When we got home, we made proper presentations with our resident cat who then proceeded to disappear to the basement for a little while. We also had multiple baby gates up so that Cameron would be confined to the main living area and the cat was able to retreat to safe spaces easily. The muzzle was kept on (first at all times, then only when we were not home). After a few weeks, we were able to have the muzzle off when we were not home. Cameron was not showing much interest in the cat and when she did, we just had to call her name for her to stop focussing on the cat (mind you, she never showed agression or prey drive toward the cat; it really was just curiosity).

Fast forward a few months and we've now had Cameron for five months. Since yesterday, Cameron has been focussed on the cat. If the cat moves, Cameron looks at her. If the cat lays down somewhere in the living area, Cameron looks at her sometimes. If the cat drinks water, Cameron looks at her. Last night, she even got up to see the cat. Cameron will lay down and look at the cat. Again, this is not done in an agressive way. The ears are forward, but not completely up and when she goes toward the cat, a firm no stops her.

I've started giving her treats every time I call her name and she stops looking at the cat. She has been given a lot of treats since last night. I was hoping that last night was just a fluke, but this seems to keep happening this morning. Should we keep at the treats? Anything else we should be doing?

I am worried that this interest will escalate and prove dangerous for the cat. Is that possible? Should we be worried?

My :heart Cameron (WW's Bull Fight) - Gotcha day: June 28, 2017

Little rascal Pirate (the cat) who wants to play with Cameron, but from a safe place. :heart

I would start by having Cameron attached to you by the leash whenever you're home. That way you can really keep an eye on her and continue to encourage good behavior with treats as well as let her know what's unacceptable. Also go back to returning to the muzzle when you're not home.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Probably she has just relaxed enough in your home for her personality to start opening up. She sounds like she is just curious, and can definitely learn that the kitty is off limits. For now, I would keep them separated when you are not home, just a precaution, and keep on with the treats like you have been doing. I had a “cat workable” hound who was always very aware of the cats, but learned that the cats indoor were untouchables :lol Outside is a totally different matter. I would never let the cat outside with the dog.

Probably she has just relaxed enough in your home for her personality to start opening up. She sounds like she is just curious, and can definitely learn that the kitty is off limits. For now, I would keep them separated when you are not home, just a precaution, and keep on with the treats like you have been doing. I had a “cat workable” hound who was always very aware of the cats, but learned that the cats indoor were untouchables :lol Outside is a totally different matter. I would never let the cat outside with the dog.

The cat doesn't go outside (well she does, but wearing a harness and accompanied by either me or my husband and never with the dog).

Looking at it, she seems just very curious. I am working from home today (snowstorm) and Cameron is now sleeping peacefully. We'll just keep at making her understand that the cat is to be looked at from a distance.

Little rascal Pirate (the cat) who wants to play with Cameron, but from a safe place. :heart

Sounds like honest curiosity to me too. I don't hear anything that sounds like aggression.

Sounds like honest curiosity to me too. I don't hear anything that sounds like aggression.

We had our behaviourist/trainer in last night for our first session (great timing given this new curiosity with the cat). She was able to observe Cameron's interest in the cat a few times during the session and she did not express concerns. She agreed with our approach of separating them when we are not home and to keep at it with the treats so that we create an incompatibility in her mind between looking at the cat and getting treats.

So glad we got that trainer in as we learned a lot and will be upping Cameron's obedience sessions with us everyday. We got so many tips to work on sit, coming to us, focus on us and emergency recall along with suggestions for mental stimulation throughout the day.

I'm a dog owner who has multiple cats (and have now had multiple dogs with them). Her behavior would not concern me at all.

Sounds like a normal dog being aware that another pack member is moving about. She doesn't need to behave like the cat doesn't exist to be cat safe.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I'm a dog owner who has multiple cats (and have now had multiple dogs with them). Her behavior would not concern me at all.

Sounds like a normal dog being aware that another pack member is moving about. She doesn't need to behave like the cat doesn't exist to be cat safe.

Thanks for your input. It was mostly the sudden aspect of the quite focused interest, but I guess this comes with her adjusting to the new home. Something might have happened on Monday while we were away that might have piqued Cameron's interest (the cat has exclusive access to the basement and she might have made some noise down there).

The interest is still there, but it is easily turned to either me or my husband. I have no problem having her look at the cat, but I'd rather have her dial it down a little bit. I guess with time and proper reinforcement, this will diminish.

One reason there could be sudden interest is the cat did something in front of her it hadn't up until this point. Until the dog has seen the cat running and puking, I don't consider the training done. :lol

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

One reason there could be sudden interest is the cat did something in front of her it hadn't up until this point. Until the dog has seen the cat running and puking, I don't consider the training done. :lol

Also an option the trainer listed for the change. She did say we could go around for days trying to figure out what started this new interest and still not know. She was, however, not very concerned as she did say Cameron's demeanor was that of a curious dog, not a dog hunting. She advised to keep with the treats and separate them when we're not home just to be safe. You should see the wall of baby gates we created to stop the cat from being upstairs (three baby gates on top of each other). It's hilarious, but I now wish I had a door at the bottom of the stairs!

Edited by amalexia

I just have one room (bedroom) that is the "cat room" It has a baby gate installed 8"-10" above the floor so the cats can run under it but too low for a greyhound to crawl under. Well, a really determined hunter could try and crawl under (foster who lied on her cat test) but most dogs wouldn't bother. It keeps the dogs out of the cat food and litter boxes :)

I just have one room (bedroom) that is the "cat room" It has a baby gate installed 8"-10" above the floor so the cats can run under it but too low for a greyhound to crawl under. Well, a really determined hunter could try and crawl under (foster who lied on her cat test) but most dogs wouldn't bother. It keeps the dogs out of the cat food and litter boxes :)

I had that too, though with a gate that had a cat door in it. I think it's a smart idea to always have an escape option for the kitties. Also, if the cat is at all put off by the new dog, a Feliway diffuser in that room is a nice addition.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

We have a "permanent" baby gate to block off the stairs to the basement where the cat food and litter are. Before this new interest, we would add a temporary baby gate for our bedroom so that the cat would also have a safe space upstairs.

With the new interest, to keep them completely apart when no one is home to supervise we pile three baby gates so that the cat can't sneak upstairs.

@GerogeofNE (sorry, I can't PM yet) When would it become concerning? For example, Cameron got up as the cat approached my cereal bowl and tried to grab her. I know that if she really wanted to get the cat she could, which she did not.

Yes, trying to grab the cat is concerning!

@GerogeofNE (sorry, I can't PM yet) When would it become concerning? For example, Cameron got up as the cat approached my cereal bowl and tried to grab her. I know that if she really wanted to get the cat she could, which she did not.

Please read my first post on this thread. I’ve gone through this.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Please read my first post on this thread. I’ve gone through this.

Just re-read your reply and it is in line with what we are doing: treats, close supervision or otherwise they are kept apart. We'll keep at it.

Plus, about the grabbing, she did not lunge and did not pursue. She is easily redirected to us by using treats.