Ripped Dew Claw

Went or get into bed and noticed a dog nail. Checked Skye out and its from her dew claw. It ripped off, much more of the nail on one side than the other and the quick is exposed. It must have happened when the girls were playing while I was painting so I had no idea before now. I don't see blood anywhere and her toe isn't bleeding so I'm assuming any bleeding sue cleaned up on her own. She's not limping and only seems to find it painful if I handle it so I'm assuming this is a leave it be situation? I was thinking an Epsom salt soak in the AM might not be a bad idea just to try to prevent infection? If I were a good mom I would probably do it now, but we're already all settled for bed. :ph34r

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Yes. A quick soak a couple times a day will help it heal. It might need to have some gauze and vet wrap if she keeps hitting it or fussing with it. The rest of the nail might have to come off too, which might require a vet and a local. Just keep an eye on it.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thanks Chris. The rest of the nail seems firmly in place at the moment so :goodluck. She hasn't been licking either. I'm afraid a wrap will just put pressure on it and make it more painful so we'll see how it goes. Annoyed with myself, she was way overdue for a nail clipping. :(

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

So I looked this morning and it looks different. The quick looks dried crusty dark red and is sticking out to the inside of her leg. She is still not limping or licking at it and doesn't mind me handling her paw as long as I don't touch the nail so she really doesn't seem too bothered. So here's my question - what is going to happen to the exposed quick? Is it eventually going to dry up and fall off or something? Having a hard time imaging what happens as the nail grows in if I don't do anything.

• 3 weeks later...

Something similar happened with Tallulah yesterday. In her case the nail is whole and still attached, it looks like she split the skin. I cleaned gently and put a padded (sanitary napkin & vet wrap) wrap over it so it doesn't snag further. That means muzzling her when I am out, she is not thrilled with me.

Can anyone give me an idea how long this type of thing takes to heal?

My Dustin has pulled a few off. I took him to the evet once..but he got,so stressed about the bandage that now, if I can stop the bleeding I just leave it. The quick seals off in a few days.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Sometimes the nail grows back and sometimes it doesn't. Banjo tore his so many times (as a whippet he should have had both removed within a couple of days of birth but the breeder missed one) eventually all he had left was a stub. Whippet lurcher Nutmeg (again with one dew claw) seems to have just a stub after ripping hers off a while ago.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.