Yard Aversion

After being home for 3 days and using the yard to potty with no problem, this morning Lola refuses to go out to the yard. She's been a 6:00 a.m. potty girl, coming to get me out of bed when she has to go. It's now 9:00 a.m., she has eaten a good breakfast but will not go outside. Her bladder must be bursting since the last potty at about 11:00 p.m. last night. I've tried luring her out with a raw turkey neck, tossing it out the door. She'll go as far as the door and no further gazing longingly at the turkey neck.

Any tips would be appreciated. Lola has not had a single accident in the house and I don't want her to have one now.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

They usually feel the need to renew their pee marks and sometimes poop marks as well in order to keep their territory markers in place. So best not to clean up too thoroughly at first. Having another dog visit helps in that way too.

If the yard is safe with the door open, just go out there yourself and be busy doing something even if its just having a cup of coffee on the patio. The dog will usually come out to see what you're up to, and when she does, don't make a big deal of it. Just offer a treat or part of a biscuit.

Hubby's answer to that is embarrassing. :unkn He sprinkles his pee out there and even our stubborn ones can't help but want to mark it.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Hubby's answer to that is embarrassing. :unkn He sprinkles his pee out there and even our stubborn ones can't help but want to mark it.

LMAO!

When faced with this problem I usually attach the leash to the collar and step back and gently tug to get her up and moving. I think she might be testing her boundaries to see how much she can affect you early on in her days ;)

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Huh...I wonder if my pee will work? Pee in a cup? Anything for my girl.

LMAO!

When faced with this problem I usually attach the leash to the collar and step back and gently tug to get her up and moving. I think she might be testing her boundaries to see how much she can affect you early on in her days ;)

This is what I finally ended up doing. I had to tug her all the way out the door then rewarded her with the raw turkey neck. So they do test boundaries (like any 2 year-old)! I'm just worried she'll start to dislike me if I am constantly dragging her outside. I think something scared her out there. She seemed very nervous and reluctant to go out to the grassy area to pee.

Thanks for the ideas. Keep 'em coming!

Wendy (my girl who passed last week) was such an easy dog. She seemed to intuit exactly what to do and when to do it. Was never afraid of anything. I actually asked Michelle at Friends of Greyhounds adoption if Wendy had previously lived in a home she seemed so unfazed by things.

Lola is more like what I imagined a retired Greyhound to be; a bit nervous, timid, unsure - everything is new and startling to her.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

No, she won't hate you, I promise! I had to take Johnny out a few times (no backyard!) when his most hated things were out there--fireworks and lawn equipment! Just keep it light and happy, and praise praise praise!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

No, she won't hate you, I promise! I had to take Johnny out a few times (no backyard!) when his most hated things were out there--fireworks and lawn equipment! Just keep it light and happy, and praise praise praise!

Okay...that makes me feel better!

They usually feel the need to renew their pee marks and sometimes poop marks as well in order to keep their territory markers in place. So best not to clean up too thoroughly at first. Having another dog visit helps in that way too.

If the yard is safe with the door open, just go out there yourself and be busy doing something even if its just having a cup of coffee on the patio. The dog will usually come out to see what you're up to, and when she does, don't make a big deal of it. Just offer a treat or part of a biscuit.

My son's dog uses the yard, too. They live next door. The girls have not met yet as I was giving Lola time to settle in. I was wondering if having another dog with her in the yard might make her feel more confident. Maybe it's time to introduce them to each other off premises at first, of course. I've been doing the open door routine all morning leaving the door open while sitting outside having a cup of coffee and while doing laundry. I even filled the bird feeder so the birds and squirrels would come to feed and maybe that would get Lola's attention...no go. <sigh> Back to the drawing board.

Agreed, she won't hate you. She'll be looking to you for reinforcement but also looking to you for what the rules and the routines are of your home. :) Gotta learn what your expectations are of her somehow!

I heard about Wendy and I'm so sorry. It's so tough isn't it? Find joy in Lola!

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:

After being home for 3 days and using the yard to potty with no problem, this morning Lola refuses to go out to the yard. She's been a 6:00 a.m. potty girl, coming to get me out of bed when she has to go. It's now 9:00 a.m., she has eaten a good breakfast but will not go outside. Her bladder must be bursting since the last potty at about 11:00 p.m. last night. I've tried luring her out with a raw turkey neck, tossing it out the door. She'll go as far as the door and no further gazing longingly at the turkey neck.

Any tips would be appreciated. Lola has not had a single accident in the house and I don't want her to have one now.

No Advice...........but I am excited that you got a new Grey !!!! Did I miss pictures somewhere ?

Karen

My son's dog uses the yard, too. They live next door. The girls have not met yet as I was giving Lola time to settle in. I was wondering if having another dog with her in the yard might make her feel more confident. Maybe it's time to introduce them to each other off premises at first, of course. I've been doing the open door routine all morning leaving the door open while sitting outside having a cup of coffee and while doing laundry. I even filled the bird feeder so the birds and squirrels would come to feed and maybe that would get Lola's attention...no go. <sigh> Back to the drawing board.

Possibly an overload of changes is making Lola withdrawn, she may even be feeling a little 'off' digestive system wise.

You could try putting a muzzle on, fixing the lead (going out signs) and in a happy voice and a gentle tug walk towards the door.

I think it just needs the other dog to have peed in the yard to get Lola to 'cancel it out'.

See if Lola actually is very anxious. Read the Body Language she's sending you.

Take it easy...slowly, slowly It wasn't all plain sailing with my Peggy who was very nervous to start with.

After 5 months or so, I still have to force Milo outside sometimes. (Pushing on his butt, mainly) And then he is always happy to be out.

Oh, and he is much more willing to go out, if I play with him, and get his lazy butt off the floor.

Edited by Dave_P

This morning, after observing Lola in the yard, I realized that she is simply afraid of all the strange sounds. Airplanes, lawnmowers, dogs barking; all the sounds of a neighborhood.

Then, to top it off, thunder and rain. Poor girl! I'll have to get her buddy, Luna, from next door next time we venture out. Luna's presence seems to make the yard a less scary place.

This morning, after observing Lola in the yard, I realized that she is simply afraid of all the strange sounds. Airplanes, lawnmowers, dogs barking; all the sounds of a neighborhood.

Then, to top it off, thunder and rain. Poor girl! I'll have to get her buddy, Luna, from next door next time we venture out. Luna's presence seems to make the yard a less scary place.

Oh yes, for sure sights and sounds can be over stimulating. We always have to deal with Ryder's arch nemesis the garbage truck! When Kasey was around Ryder was way more mellow because Kasey had no reaction to outside stimulus.

I was wondering how you might be able to make your yard the most amazing place ever and wonder if you hide hot dog bits if it would help. Just thinking off the top of my head, you wouldn't want to put it out to attract wildlife to your backyard, but enough for her to find pieces outside to make it a good place to be? Lots and lots and lots of praise and reward when she does get her butt out the door is a big deal though. Positive reinforcement!

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by: