Fostering A Tripod--Questions About Walking

My new foster (I have had her three days) is just 14 months old, and missing one of her front legs (amputated due to severe injury). I don't think she is more than a month or two out of surgery. She gets around really well, although she does lose footing now and then or will take a slide while being rambunctious. She is very much a puppy and loves to play and race around the house.

I am thinking that in the house, she will not overdo or go beyond her comfort level, and I know she needs to be active. But I need some advice about walks. I don't think she has much experience with them, and I worry about too much stress or strain to her leg from the repetitive pounding on sidewalks and hard surfaces. I have taken her for very short walks, and it clearly is more effort for her than playing around the house, although she loves exploring. Should I continue to take her walking? Keep it short? Is it good to build up to longer walks? This is a new experience for me and I appreciate your advice. Thanks!

Here is my beautiful girl:

35780239873_c27b18127f_b.jpg

S.jpg

Is that Freda??? :beatheart

Front leg tripods end up having to move faster for walking than back leg amps or 4 leg dogs. The technique they develop involves using momentum to make up for the spring in the missing leg. You may find a longer leash or using a spook harness (from Majestic Collars) works better for her than just a martingale, so she has a bit more room. She is a puppy and she needs the exercise, but she will need to work up to longer walks. Start out short and see how long she can go, then back off a bit and begin conditioning her from there.

Our tripod enjoyed weekly massages to keep his body aligned properly and relax his muscles. Some people also use acupuncture and chiropractic. Pay special attention to the pads of her remaining front leg as they are crucial to her remaining active.

There's a Facebook page for Tripod dogs that you may find it interesting/educational to join.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

You might want to remove her collar - the head bobbing that happens with front amps can cause collars to also bob and if there are tags, can hit them in the face.

You might want to get a harness to help just in case she gets tired on the walk and having the leash from the harness is just better overall than from a collar. Mine gets tired so I just do shorter walks and I have him on a long lead unless I am helping with some of the weight by using the harness.

I'm actually thinking of taking up running because it seems that walking is more of an effort than running for tripods.

edited to add -- I asked the forum about harnesses for tri-pods - that thread might be of interest to you

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/321136-harness-for-a-front-leg-amp/

Edited by MaryJane

Of the three dogs in my house right now, (one's a guest) two are tripods.

They have some similarities and some differences. Both age nine. One goes down the ramp and up the stairs, the other goes down the stairs and up the ramp.

Both need me to be at a jogging pace. Actually what seems to work best is to find a safe off leash area and let them do their speed. They stop rest and restart on their own terms.

But you do want to exercise her. The more she uses that front leg, the stronger it gets. Both muscle and bone.

With Taylor, an 85 pound front right leg tripod from age 6 to 8, walking always "looked labored" to me on a walk, but it didn't slow him down.

When he needed to rest, he would stop and his front leg would be right in the middle.

Plus there were always people who wanted to pet him, hug him, tell him what a good boy he was.

Running and spinning and leaping was the way he mostly got around my big back back yard.

He never slipped or fell. He was a strong boy.

004_etjazr.jpg

Such a pretty girl! I wonder if she'll become a permanent member of your family?!

I have a 10 year old tripawd, she had her right front leg amputated in February. She does a lot better if she can move faster, as others have said. I do let her jump in the car, but not out of the car, it's too much pressure on that remaining front let. I bought a new bed frame that is not very far off of the floor so she can still sleep on my bed when she wants to. I live in a very hilly area, very steep hills. I try to avoid going straight downhill on her, my vet said it's tough on them to go downhill, so we go at an angle. Up hills and jumping up are fine. She doesn't like me lifting her out of the car, but she has slowly learned to accept it.

I haven't found a harness I really like for her yet. I have two of the ones listed in the tripawd thread, neither are great. The K-9 Julius is the worst of the two. The RuffWear harness is just a ton of fabric on her that is too warm when walking in the summer. I can see that where the spook harness or one from the One Stop Harness Shop might be better so she can't slip out of it. I bought a tag holder that wraps around her collar with Velcro from Long Dog Leather, so her tags don't bounce around and hit her when she walks with a collar. So far, she really seems to prefer walking with a collar on.

Please keep us posted on how she's doing!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Such a pretty girl! I wonder if she'll become a permanent member of your family?!

I have a 10 year old tripawd, she had her right front leg amputated in February. She does a lot better if she can move faster, as others have said. I do let her jump in the car, but not out of the car, it's too much pressure on that remaining front let. I bought a new bed frame that is not very far off of the floor so she can still sleep on my bed when she wants to. I live in a very hilly area, very steep hills. I try to avoid going straight downhill on her, my vet said it's tough on them to go downhill, so we go at an angle. Up hills and jumping up are fine. She doesn't like me lifting her out of the car, but she has slowly learned to accept it.

I haven't found a harness I really like for her yet. I have two of the ones listed in the tripawd thread, neither are great. The K-9 Julius is the worst of the two. The RuffWear harness is just a ton of fabric on her that is too warm when walking in the summer. I can see that where the spook harness or one from the One Stop Harness Shop might be better so she can't slip out of it. I bought a tag holder that wraps around her collar with Velcro from Long Dog Leather, so her tags don't bounce around and hit her when she walks with a collar. So far, she really seems to prefer walking with a collar on.

Please keep us posted on how she's doing!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/225448995/greyhound-assistance-harness?ref=shop_home_active_1