The Problem With Poots

We all know the our beloved hounds are fart factories; it's part of their charm! :fart Wendy's paint-peeling gas has been well controlled for the past 10 years with FortiFlora but that's no longer working. Yogurt doesn't help. My house smells like a sewer. :riphair We're going to the vet on Monday for rabies vaccination so I'll bring up the gassiness.

What do you GT'ers give your Greys to control their...um... noxious emissions?

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

With my dogs, the smelly farts have been the result of a food that doesn't agree with them. I had a boy that could knock you dead with his farts if he'd had anything with wheat in it. And I had a boy who emitted pure fish-farts after any food with fish in it, although he was fine with plain fish oil capsules or with sardines. (Probably something to do with how the fish was processed for kibble.) But everyone could smell the fish in those farts.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

if this has been a continous problem and giardiasis or pancreatitis has not been detected and your dog is NOT over eating(as the dogs age they need less food) then you might consider what i did, felix had farts that peeled the paint off the walls.

i changed foods to a simpler recipe- most people frown when i say purina pro-plan, but there are less products, less poops and hardly any gas. it has all the evil stuff- chicken, corn gluten meal, whole grain corn....but they love it, poop 1/4 what they pooped before, well formed too! and gained weight & eat less! both were really skinny- since everything went right thru them. this was an experiment when we were out of town and the two hounds went crazy eating it DRY!!! i was buying probiotics, administering flagyl, serving rice, staying away from chicken and fish. go know- this works for my hounds! many people find that Iams gives them the same result.

purina focus large breed(for ages 7+)

Chicken, brewers rice, whole grain wheat, corn gluten meal, whole grain corn, poultry by-product meal (source of glucosamine), animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), barley, corn germ meal, fish meal, animal digest, fish oil, wheat bran, dried egg product, calcium phosphate, salt, potassium chloride, potassium citrate, Vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium carbonate, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, and sodium selenite

J-4451

Manufactured and guaranteed by: Nestlé Purina PetCare Company, St. Louis, MO 63164 USA

Animal feeding tests using AAFCO procedures substantiate that Pro Plan Focus Adult Weight Management Large Breed Formula provides complete and balanced nutrition for maintenance of adult dogs.

• Guaranteed Analysis Crude Protein (Min) 26.0% Crude Fat (Min) 12% Crude Fiber (Max) 4.5% Moisture (Max) 12% Linoleic Acid (Min) 1.8% Calcium (Ca) (Min) 1% Phosphorus (P) (Min) .8% Selenium (Min) .30mg/kg Vitamin A (Min) 15,000IU/kg
  • Vitamin E (Min) 460IU/kg Ascorbic Acid* (Min) 70mg/kg Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA)* (Min) .1% Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA)* (Min) .14% Glucosamine* (Min) 500ppm Omega 3 Fatty Acids* (Min) .45% Omega 6 Fatty Acids* (Min) 2%
*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles
Calorie Content (Calculated) Metabolizable Energy (ME) 3732 kcal/kg 1693 kcal/lb 396 kcal/cup
Edited by cleptogrey

Lots of things can cause gassiness from too high a protein content in her food, to a food allergy or intolerance, to a worm infestation, to organs not functioning well. If her stools have been (and continue to be) fine, I would look at her kidneys or liver function. A gut bacteria overgrowth can also cause gassiness.

If her poops are bad, I would probably do a prophylactic worm treatment, then explore if her food has become too rich for her. As they age, they often need a less "hot" food and more carbs.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Yogurt was a Very Bad experiment with one of mine. I'd start by eliminating that from her diet.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Thanks for all the feedback. Wendy's poops are good and she is quite healthy. It may be that she is too well fed. I feed Wellness CORE with canned food added-in. She's going on 12 years old and is definitely needing less food. Perhaps her usual diet has become too rich. Huh...will talk to the vet on Monday if she thinks a change in diet might be a good idea.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

• 1 month later...