Bravecto And Ticks....we Found A Bugger On Her

Guest chickenpotpie

Guest chickenpotpie

Hi All:

Backstory; I switched Lucky from Advantix II to Bravecto, as the former was not working anymore for her. Far as I could tell The Bravecto worked and she's been on 3 courses of it so far, the reason why I chose it was because of flea and tick coverage. However this morning I found her chewing and yep, it was a tick. I have a tick key but she chewed it so much that I wasn't really able to grab it, so I called the vet.

So questions to those using it;

If you had a tick issue before, do you still have them? if so, what the heck are you doing to get the damn things off? I checked her over and I'm not seeing anymore but that may not mean anything considering she's a black dog. I'm also wondering how preventative bravacto really is against ticks as this guy was pretty in there.

So will I now need to have a 2nd med just for ticks? I'm trying to avoid that as much as I can but if not avoidable, what would be the best to use?

I don't think any product is 100% against any of the pests. I would not be too exercised about one tick. Most tick "preventatives" don't repel ticks, they just kill them.

I can't speak to Bravecto's claims.

I found the Seresto collars everyone is so happy with did NOT work on Buck and he got fleas. Only dog at my vet's practice they didn't work for1

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

From what I understand is that the med won't stop fleas and ticks from landing and biting, but it does stop the cycle of laying eggs and killing when the blood is drawn into the tick. So you'll still find them on your hound, they just shouldn't be able to procreate.

I started using Bravecto as of last year because ticks are starting to become rather prevalent up here but so far so good.

If you want to repel them (apparently) I've heard that Springtime sells a Garlic supplement. I haven't used it though. https://www.springtimeinc.com/product/bug-off-garlic-dogs/All-Natural-Dog-Supplements

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest chickenpotpie

From what I understand is that the med won't stop fleas and ticks from landing and biting, but it does stop the cycle of laying eggs and killing when the blood is drawn into the tick. So you'll still find them on your hound, they just shouldn't be able to procreate.

I started using Bravecto as of last year because ticks are starting to become rather prevalent up here but so far so good.

If you want to repel them (apparently) I've heard that Springtime sells a Garlic supplement. I haven't used it though. https://www.springtimeinc.com/product/bug-off-garlic-dogs/All-Natural-Dog-Supplements

Thanks for this. We haven't had any flea issues since she's been on thankfully. I'll take a look into this. Its been quite wet this time of year down here so anything that will help repel those things is good.

This past weekend I found a tick on Sweep for the first time ever, thankfully before it had bitten. She's been on Bravecto for a couple of years now. My understanding of how it works is the same as XTRAWLD's (and that it kills them before they can infect the dog with anything), so I'm not too worried about it and will continue to use it. Still grossed me out though!

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest chickenpotpie

This past weekend I found a tick on Sweep for the first time ever, thankfully before it had bitten. She's been on Bravecto for a couple of years now. My understanding of how it works is the same as XTRAWLD's (and that it kills them before they can infect the dog with anything), so I'm not too worried about it and will continue to use it. Still grossed me out though!

I'm so glad she didn't get a tick bite! GAWD they gross me out and even with tick key, it was hard to remove. Even with me checking her after every walk those buggers are so easy to miss :(

I will stay on the bravecto as they did amazing with the fleas (they got her GOOD, it was so horrible!). With ticks it offers about 8 weeks of protection based on the literature, so I guess I'll be on an every 8 week schedule instead of 12 because as you know, we get no breaks in cycles down here. There's seems to be some difference of opinions on the garlic but I'm still researching that. At best, it might help, at worse, she will stink a little...lol

There's seems to be some difference of opinions on the garlic but I'm still researching that. At best, it might help, at worse, she will stink a little...lol

Exactly. To be fair, I'd say try it first and then see if it works for you and Lucky. I agree that some love it and some find it hasn't done a thing.

I'll tell you I put my boys on Tumeric for a couple weeks......the smell coming out of their skin was just atrocious. The smell alone was enough to turn me off to the benefit. So live and learn but you gotta try it first ;)

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

i check my dogs very diligently and have found maybe 3 ticks on my female and no live ticks on my male. only one small dead one in his bed. well, they both have been treated for tick borne diseases. generally with treatment they don't stay on for long, but one bite is all it takes. i find peace of mind taking a lint roller to the dogs after i bush them well. but it only takes one bite.

call the manufacturer if you have any concerns, generally the customer service is pretty good.

i am using the more expensive frontline gold, it's working. my female was lethargic and had the runs when i tried one of the oral meds that the vet suggested. i forgot which one, i returned it.

I use the Springtime garlic granules. I have not had a tick or flea problem, but have not had a problem with them before I started using the product. I live in Wisconsin, but we are not exercising in tall grass, etc. Got to admit the first week my house smelled like GARLIC. Maybe it still does and I don't smell it anymore. Needless to say, I don't have a lot of house guests, so no one has complained.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

Agree that Bravecto and other products will not prevent a tick from attaching. It should however kill the tick and often you can find them still attached that way.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I don't use Bravecto, but have been using Nexgard for a while now. I believe they do pretty much the same thing, only the Nexgard is monthly. As others have said, it doesn't repel the little buggers, but once they bite, they die. I have been lucky so far as we walk in woodsy areas, and I check her constantly. I only found one tick walking on her, which I annihilated. I like the oral med for many reasons.

But as to another idea, I read about a product (Wondercide) that is organic and natural, and claims to work. It is cedar based and the company is in Texas. I ordered some and it is very much cedar smelling. I have spayed it on ants and it killed them. So far I haven't spayed my grey but I have it for backup. I also bought the small bottle for myself. You can read about it on the link below. I think there are also YouTube videos. I won't stop the oral meds but as I said, I have this as an 'addition to'.

http://www.wondercide.com/

Guest chickenpotpie

I don't use Bravecto, but have been using Nexgard for a while now. I believe they do pretty much the same thing, only the Nexgard is monthly. As others have said, it doesn't repel the little buggers, but once they bite, they die. I have been lucky so far as we walk in woodsy areas, and I check her constantly. I only found one tick walking on her, which I annihilated. I like the oral med for many reasons.

But as to another idea, I read about a product (Wondercide) that is organic and natural, and claims to work. It is cedar based and the company is in Texas. I ordered some and it is very much cedar smelling. I have spayed it on ants and it killed them. So far I haven't spayed my grey but I have it for backup. I also bought the small bottle for myself. You can read about it on the link below. I think there are also YouTube videos. I won't stop the oral meds but as I said, I have this as an 'addition to'.

http://www.wondercide.com/

I like the smell of cedar more than garlic thats for sure! Will give it a shot. I tried with garlic and girlfriend was NOT having it! She treats the garlic like she does apples, with total dislike. Of course if and dad are eating it, she's all in until she figures out what it is. :hehe