Skin Tear And Treatment

Guest PackMomma

Guest PackMomma

My greyhound(Willow) was adopted two months ago she has settled in quite nicely but trust is new. She ran into her crate and somehow caught her shoulder and recieved a. Pretty significant skin tear. She has been stitched up and has a drain. She is also taking pain killers and oral antibiotics. I also have a. Solution i was instructed to use to flush the wound 2x daily. While she has not loved it she has tolerated it, up until this morning. She saw the bottle and immediately was screaming before i was even near her and cowered shaking up against the wall with her wounded side closest to the wall. If i try to get close she moves to a different wall. I need to flush her wound and am open to any suggestions from experienced owners. Thanks in advance.

Oh goodness. Maybe it's really stinging her. I have on hand an "ouchless" solution by Bandaid to rinse wounds. It might also be infected if she's screaming out.... Call your vet about how she is reacting for sure. Please though, reward the positive behaviour when she let's you work on her with high value treats. This helps develop trust and creates positive experiences for her.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

If there is no alternative to that solution, put her muzzle on and add a dab of peanut butter on the inside of it.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Definitely call your vet and see if you can discontinue the flushing. While it's nice and might help it to heal a little faster, I've never had to flush a wound (separately from keeping it clean) with any special solution for any length of time. A nice warm compress will probably accomplish the same ends and feel a lot nicer!

:kiss2 for Willow and :grouphug for you.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest PackMomma

I appreciate you all so much for this feedback. I did just give her a break this morning she was so sad. As soon as the bottle was out of sight she was her normal happy self I will be putting a call into the vet to see what they say. It is the same vet that our rescue uses for all of their greyhounds. She has been getting lots of extra treats because we all feel so sad for her.

I think she would definitely enjoy the warm compress idea I am going to ask about that.

Edited by PackMomma

Recently a friends galgo got a tear in his side in front of his hip. Tube placed, however the blood and ick settled lower. Initially going to get the tube removed (I was with her) the vet tech who got her dog from the lobby chastised her for not "milking" the area to push the blood and ick out the tube. Friend said she was never told to do this. She certainly would have it told. This resulted in a return visit for tube removal a week later.

(BTW, if you read my post in H&M asking about prices for the Idexx SNAP 4dx test, she was the one charged $100 for it. I've been trying to get her away from the office for some time.)

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest PackMomma

Yeah, I take her back today to have the drain removed, I am so scared to hear her yell again which i am sure she will. I think she is very much a drama queen.

Hoping that the drain removal is good and there is no badness going on in there. a lot of greyhounds are very very stoic, and some are vocal. Either way, she's getting taken care of and I hope the tear is on it's way to healing! The GSOD (greyhound scream of death) is terrifying! Please keep us posted as it's always good info to know how everything resolved.

Give her some gentle scritches for us!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest PackMomma

She was vocal with the drain removal, but she rebounded to her silly fun affectionate self quickly. The vet is very happy with how everything looks and she gets the stitches out friday! Glad this hurdle is getting close to being behind us for now.

We drove through biscuitville for a dog biscuit afterwards and she got lots of attention there and she loved the biscuit!

Guest PackMomma

No the solution isn't supposed to sting, ()but she is a very vocal greyhound). I think it was uncomfortable and a little scary for her and she just didnt like it. I do not have to continue with the flushing anymore though!