Off-Lead, Seemed To Want To Go Back On-Lead

I know this is a controversial subject but we've been working hard on recall and have a fully enclosed field behind our house (for which we are extremely fortunate). Anyway we let Mali off-lead today in the field (muzzled and there were no other dogs around). We've done it a couple of times before and she's come back brilliantly each time. This time, she had her burn up - for all of 90 seconds and then came back, we didn't call her - she just came of her own accord, so we gave her a treat. I was going to just let her potter on round the field off-lead but but when I went to walk away she came and nudged her lead. No idea whether she was wanting treats but it seemed like she wanted to be on the lead. It was lunch time and we had a limited time so I didn't want to look a gift dog in the mouth as it were and just leashed her back up again.

Is that likely or am I anthropomorphising our hound here?

Why would it be controversial if you took your dog's leash off in a fenced in field?

Sounds like your dog was asking for treats. Working dogs understand that the leash means business. So I guess I'm wrong and they do "get it" (the concept of off leash or on).

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

It sounds to me like your training is working! Keep doing what you are doing!

For me, if I take Ryder to an open area, it's almost guaranteed that he will stay by my side and not bother to have a boot about, but his personality is that he prefers humans over hounds (or investigating the pee mail) anyway.

Keep rewarding the behaviour, it's awesome you are getting recall working.....don't think about it too much!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

It is being 'free' to run if they want that they like. Figure of Eights and fast circles are signs that they like their run but they want to stay near you for affection and resources.

Put a squirrel, rabbit, or in Peggy's case a cat, out there and it becomes a whole different ballgame.

Dogs definitely can understand the difference about being on-lead vs being off-lead. Many training regimens use the on/off as a signal for working vs not working (seeing eye dogs, therapy dogs, etc), so it must be something they can be trained to "get." My own dog would easily recognize her leash and collar that we would use for going to nursing home visits. She would get so excited and run around when I would get it out!

Once is not necessarily a good sample size though, so see if she'll do it again.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Don't forget...our hounds are sprinters and a good race across a field and back is lots of exercise! An how lucky are you to have a large fenced in area right at your back door?!

After Mali has done her zoomies and come back I would treat her ..then take the opportunity to practice some off leash walking. Make a game of doing sharp turns, small circles and work on having her stay by your side.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Is the field big? If so just start walking and let her follow. Eventually she'll get the idea that she can be with you and enjoy freedom at the same time. It will also show you how committed she is to staying near you or returning to you. If she is safe with other dogs? It would be nice to see how she does with other dogs and people to visit while you are walking. Does she return to you when you call while she is engaged with others? Does she get wound up and ignore you?

I have learned that the most important safety feature in off leash situations is a dog that prefers to be with you over all other attractions. For most dogs recall will fail at some point. But for a dog that is afraid of getting separated from it person, one need only call it's name and then turn and walk away. That dog is sure to follow.

Edited by KickReturn