There's always lots of threads about what to buy and what to have on hand. I thought I would throw in my two cents. Here's what I have and what I keep around on hand for taking care of minor wounds at home. I also take this along when we vacation with the pups, and it's easy to sling in the car for roadtrips. I was restocking and repacking yesterday and took some pictures.

This is what I use to hold everything. It's a big construction-type, plastic box - about 12in high x 16in deep x 20in wide. You'll see it has a removeable tray inside and heavy-duty locking thingies.

IMG_20170622_143840385.jpg

Here's the tray. It holds small things and stuff I might need to grab and go. You can also use it as a staging area if you're out and about.

Bag Balm, alcohol wipes, one of those instant cold packs, and space blanket, thin sanitary gloves, bandage scissors, tweezers and a magnifying glass, a pill splitter, a couple digital thermometers, and a small first aid pamphlet with instructions.

IMG_20170622_143226112.jpg

Syringes of various types (these don't have needles), various types of tapes (paper, waterproof, etc), and Elasticon Tape. Elasticon is *very* handy for Happy Tail injuries and other hard to bandage areas. It's sticky, but not *too*sticky, and it works on fur. With Elasticon and a empty syringe case, you can handle Happy Tail at home easily.

IMG_20170622_143211903.jpg

Various sizes of bandages, non stick pads, and regular guaze pads. These large bandages on the left are great as they stick really well to fur. They are harder to get off, but olive oil takes care of that.

IMG_20170622_143148451.jpg

Various sizes of rolled gauze, some more flat gauze spongy thingies, and LOTS and LOTS of vet wrap in different widths.

IMG_20170622_143202718.jpg

Hydrogen peroxide (replace regularly as it turns to water once it's exposed to air), epsom salts (good for soaking and cleaning), betadine or chlorhexadine wash, and some type of commercial wound wash (in case there's no water around).

IMG_20170622_143619593.jpg

Stuff I didn't take pictures of: various types of cloth bandages for wrapping and splints, a couple plastic straight splints and a spoon splint, different types and sizes of booties for foot injuries, large tube socks, small toddler socks, a couple old tshirts, a bite not cone, toe nail clippers and quick stop, some sort of bitter lime or stop chewing spray.

I also have a couple sizes of Ruffwear Webmaster Harnesses. I discovered these when one of mine had a leg amputated years ago, but they work wonderfully well for other types of leg injuries and balance issues to help give the dog some aid in walking/pottying. They are made for hiking and very sturdy, and fit greyhound bodies well. They are also not super expensive if bought online.

And I also have a large boot to keep leg bandages/splints dry. I can't remember the brand name right off hand, so I'll check and update in the comments later. It's really great as long as you have a large bandage to help hold it up. Glad Press-n-Seal also works though it doesn't last long outside.

Also stuff I usually keep on hand: DISCLAIMER: I know my vet and my vet knows me. She knows I have these things and we discuss how and when to use them. Many times it means I can call her and she'll approve me treating at home for MINOR injuries. You should always consult your vet!

>we always have some sort of nsaid (in the proper dosages) for light sprains and strains that don't need a vet visit;

>I also keep at least 2-3 days of a broad spectrum antibiotic in case something small happens on a weekend/holiday;

>some type of pain reliever (at the moment it's codeine sulfate, but I've also used tramadol with other dogs);

>I also usually have some sort of general anti anxiety medication (though not at the moment);

>the homeopathic treatment Yunnan Baiyao for stopping bleeding and clotting issues ( this is new as our new girl has some issues we've not dealt with before) Dogs can take it orally, or you can take the capsules apart and sprinkle it on the (smallish) wound.

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I'd suggest adding one or two of those cooling wraps or bandanas that you can wet and place around a dog's neck to help with evaporative cooling. Combined with a cold pack or two you can help cool down an overheated dog pretty effectively.

I have soaked towels in cold water previously and had Rocket lay on one, with another draped over him to help cool him down when he overheated on a walk. It happened so fast that I was glad that i realized what was going on and headed home before it got worse. I just kept changing out the towels for cold ones as they got warm.

We now have a couple of those neck wraps in his travel bag and will put one on him if we are out for a long period or at an outdoor event.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Yes, IV bags work fine for tge short term. But for really tall splints and soft bandaging you need more protection - at least here in the heavy rain! Another GTer (thanks Carol Ann!) recommended this product:

http://medivetproducts.com/protective-boots/

Medicaid boots are taller and flat on the bottom.

Those cooling wraps are a great idea too! I do normally have more cold packs. I just haven't replaced them yet!

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

looks good, can you fit that in your car when you travel?

i have a similar stash in the basement. i travel w/ much less, vet wrap, quick stop, roll of gauze nail clipper, duct tape, kiddy sock or 2 and metacam and flagyl. i keep it in a lunch size cooler(from GIG). when i run out- such as when felix ran into the bay at sarasota and cut up his paws and pasturns i just run out to walgreens and replace. i strive to be a minimalist.

and yes, the dog thermometer is in the same drawer as the human thermometer in the bathroom- i laugh when i give dh instructions- "use the human not the DOG thermometer, it says DOG!"

Hahaha!!! Yes! I have DOG DOG DOG in big black letters written all over the thermometer AND the cover!!! (The one on the pic above is new and I haven't got it labelled yet!)

Yes, the container is about the size of a carry on bag, I suppose. It fits on the floor behind a seat in the car. I take it all with me cause I like to be over prepared!! And because where we stay there aren't a lot of vet clinics or fully stocked stores. If we're at the coast, it's *almost* as fast to drive back to Portland to the e-vet here as to try and find one over there.

Having horses means I have lots of first aid/ medical supplies on hand :)

Most of it is kept in the barn, but I do keep BagBalm, vet wrap, gauze etc here in the house inside a much smaller version of Chris tote box.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest goofydog2

Some items on this list I need to add to my jump bag. One thing I do have that I haven't seen mentioned is a skin stapler. Have it on hand for minor/small skin tears. Luckily I've only had to use it 2 times.