Digging For Something Tasty?

we have a 40' by 30' fenced kennel for my girls to play in. It is covered in beach sand. In one 4'x'4'area they continue to dig away to reach something to eat. I'll be damned if I can determine what it is, even when I catch them in the act and investigate I see nothing but dirt and maybe roots. I see no grubs or anything "edible" They are both obsessed with this one area and actually take turns. I re-bury the area with sand and we start over. Today I'm going to fill the holes with a bunch of rocks to slow them down but I'd appreciate any feedback, does anyone else have grey's doing this?

Sheba will dig any chance she gets! Since my yard is river rock and patio stones, the only place she digs is around the plant where there's leaves, dirt, and lava rocks. It's not necessarily a greyhound thing, just a dog thing. Some just love to dig. At least it's only one spot and not all over the area.

Peggy would dig down to Australia if she could! But I don't think I'd put rocks (other than huge ones) in there lest they hurt her feet or bits get chewed and hurt her teeth. With holes in the lawn area I just reseed and fence off with green wire for 6 weeks.

What makes you think they're digging for something to eat? Dogs like to dig. What else is there to do in a sand filled pen? Sniff each other, do a little running, and dig! Digging is super fun, if you're a dog!

Since it's their own space, why not let them enjoy it?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

If they're eating something it's probably dirt. No one really knows *why* they eat dirt, but spring and fall dirt is apparently extremely tasty and a great delicacy for them! It shouldn't hurt them, though their poop may turn into mostly dirt! You should have them on monthly worm medication as well.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

What makes you think they're digging for something to eat? Dogs like to dig. What else is there to do in a sand filled pen? Sniff each other, do a little running, and dig! Digging is super fun, if you're a dog!

Since it's their own space, why not let them enjoy it?

what makes me think? I watched each of them work to a spot in the hole carefully, then using their front teeth, bite it and eat it. "it" could be dirt as someone here suggested but it is a very specific "treat" they are trying to get.

ah, well, if your original post said they were eating the dirt---

I can honestly say that in MY experience, dogs dig because it's fun--but there could be something in the ground they can hear, but if you don't see anything, it's probably just like Chris said. They're eating dirt, well, because they can!

My dog is a devoted grass eater. Face it--dogs can be kinda weird!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck