Hugely Swollen Leg, Red/purple Skin, Dog Is Not In Pain

Guest Wasabi303

Guest Wasabi303

Hoping you all can help me with a mystery.

I picked Wasabi up from a long day (approx 5 hours, we were moving) at doggy day care on Saturday. She seemed completely fine. About an hour later I notice that her whole left butt cheek is swollen. She does not respond as I gently and then more firmly poke it. She is a little stiff but seems ok.

Another hour or so later the the skin on top of the swelling is red/purple. I monitor her all night, she was stiff but not in pain.

Sunday the swelling has moved down her leg toward her hock joint. The purple skin moves with the swelling, swelling is soft. Dog is happy jumping around, going in circles and wagging her tail, we go for a long walk, completely ok.

Its now Monday night, situation is the same, happy dog with a FREAKY looking leg, very large soft swelling, purple / red skin, no pain.

What the heck is this? And what should I do about it?

**My best guess has something to do with astro turf at doggy day care, rug burn?

Sounds like a bad contusion. You can try helping it along with some cold wraps/iceing if she'll stand it. If it doesn't begin to resolve by tomorrow, I would get it checked by the vet. Sometimes clots can develop and cause problems.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Have you tried massaging the leg? Might help blood flow, but I'd suggest a trip to the vet. I can't help but think back to my Kasey who has a tumour on his butt that cut off circulation to his leg and it was an angry purple color and very swollen. I encourage you to visit a vet. Not saying it is but 3 days is a bit much. Can you post pics?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Definitely vet. Sounds like a big hematoma, but there could be an underlying reason there is excessive blood. You may also want to ask about Amicar or Tranexamic Acid to help it heal and consider Yunnan Baiyao as well.

There was a thread in here recently where someone's dog had one that was taking a while to resolve, no underlying bleeding issues, but there was an obvious cause. May be some useful info in that thread.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Wasabi303

Sounds like it could be a torn gracilis muscle. If you google this you can find photos & info. Also try searching here as it is a common injury. Hugs to Wasabi.

**Ding Ding Ding** we have a winner. I looked up the pictures of this and it is exactly what is going on. Swelling is taking a while to dissipate, but it is going down. I will massage and ice to help it along. Thanks everyone!

Guest Wasabi303

Apparently it is a pretty common injury for sighthounds. My girl was probably goofing around and slipped. She does not get good traction on fake grass.