Guest Mannys_Moose

Guest Mannys_Moose

Manny was playing a little too hard in the backyard a couple weeks ago and completely lost his toenail on his front paw. It was difficult to stop the heavy bleeding but eventually we got it under control and it hasn't bled again since. He wasn't protecting it or baby-ing it so we didn't take it too seriously. Yesterday he started limping and i took a look at it and saw that the nail was beginning to grow back. I thought it was probably pretty uncomfortable and caused the limp. But today I noticed his paw is enormously swollen and quite red around the nail bed. He'll allow me to hold his forearm, he hasn't been crying and he doesn't seem to mind resting it on his bed. Theres no puss or blood but it just looks so painful. I'd hate to bring him to the vet to have them tell me that it's normal and not to worry but I'd also hate finding out that we didn't treat an infection properly and then he needs his whole leg amputated. Are antibiotics necessary?
I soaked it in warm water and epsom salt for a couple days when he first lost it and have done it several times a day since yesterday.

thanks!

swelling that bad does not sound normal to me at all? If it were me I would have the vet see him :( :(

Zeke ripped his 80% off a couple years ago and we ended up having the vet cut in and cauterize it. I has since grown back, although it's totally wonky. But he did not have any swelling or issues of any kind.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest Mannys_Moose

swelling that bad does not sound normal to me at all? If it were me I would have the vet see him :( :(

Zeke ripped his 80% off a couple years ago and we ended up having the vet cut in and cauterize it. I has since grown back, although it's totally wonky. But he did not have any swelling or issues of any kind.

uh oh :(

thanks for the advice!

Like the others I've had dogs lose toenails but what you describe is not normal. Sounds like you will need the vet. Be sure it is a good vet -preferably one with greyhound experience- or they could make the matter worse.

Edited by racindog

Like the others I've had dogs lose toenails but what you describe is not normal. Sounds like you will need the vet. Be sure it is a good vet -preferably one with greyhound experience- or they could make the matter worse.

ditto, felix's popped off, frozen ground hitting the ground at the wrong angle. i even followed the trail of blood and found the nail! i used quick stop and once it stopped bleeding it was fine.

there might be something in his toe that's resulting in an infection. we did have that experience when a straw from the tall grasses punctured felix's toe. i was flushed out with drawing salve for a week, no antibiotics. that was a pita, but it worked like a charm. amazon has this as well, http://www.cvs.com/shop/health-medicine/first-aid/antibiotic-antiseptic/cvs-ichthammol-ointment-prodid-705149. i too tried epsom's salts baths for a couple of days, it needed something to really pull the debris out. yes, consult w/ the vet is in order

Edited by cleptogrey

Kasey lost his dew claw and when it was growing back, he didn't have any swelling or issues (mind you of course it was a bit tender). Should probably have a vet check it out. Gentle scritches.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I've had multiple dogs lose nails and never had swelling/redness after the initial healing stages. I'd go to your vet. He may have broken it off funny and there's some jagged bits beneath the surface or it could have become infected.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire