Eating Rabbit Poop

With Spring rabbits have returned to our yard. Although she hasn't eaten rabbit poop in the past, she is now. She totally ignores my "leave it" command.

Googling shows me a variety of answers as to whether eating rabbit poop is harmful or not. So, is it?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Ah, yes, one of dear Eve's favorite snacks was any feces from another species. Milo can't decide which is more delicious -- deer or rabbit. I worm the dogs on a quarterly basis -- between eating poop and killing/eating the critters themselves, this would be a worm farm if the dogs didn't get meds regularly.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Ah, yes, one of dear Eve's favorite snacks was any feces from another species. Milo can't decide which is more delicious -- deer or rabbit. I worm the dogs on a quarterly basis -- between eating poop and killing/eating the critters themselves, this would be a worm farm if the dogs didn't get meds regularly.

We use HeartgardPlus. Are using something else for whatever might be in rabbit and deer poop?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

They could potentially get giardia or cryptosporidia, but it isn't all that likely. General wormers aren't effective against either.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Razzy eats rabbit poop all the time and we haven't had any problems. I do know worms are a potential, so I try to discourage it though. This sounds a little nuts, but I get out there and try to pick up as much as I can, pellet by pellet.... :wow

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

I've had some serious rabbit-poop eaters at my house. I just kept them on a general wormer, and no issues. HeartguardPlus is probably just fine. From what I remember, researching at the time - tape and pin are the most common. I wouldn't worry about it as long as you use a wormer at least through the spring, summer and fall.

Razzy eats rabbit poop all the time and we haven't had any problems. I do know worms are a potential, so I try to discourage it though. This sounds a little nuts, but I get out there and try to pick up as much as I can, pellet by pellet.... :wow

I can't imagine :hehe . I have a visual of you in your lawn with tongs!!! :flip

We use HeartgardPlus. Are using something else for whatever might be in rabbit and deer poop?

I put Revolution on the dogs because of the additional tick protection. Because the dogs sometimes eat the suicidal small critters that come into the yard and got tapeworm some years ago, I worm quarterly with Drontal Plus.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

• 3 weeks later...

We take measures to keep our hounds from ingesting any wild animals, or their excrement, or walking through or swimming or drinking from wild animals' potential water sources. Too many potentially fatal diseases carried by wild animals. One example: Wild rodents can carry hantavirus (can be fatal to pets and humans). Veterinarians are warning pet parents about increases in cases of dog deaths from leptospirosis, etc. Heavy rainy weather also increases the spread of leptospirosis, giardia, and other zoonotic diseases.

Here's a short (incomplete) list of diseases seen in wild animals/rodents including rabbits in North Carolina: http://epi.publichealth.nc.gov/cd/diseases/zoonotic.html

Edited by 3greytjoys