New Grey Never Raced

Guest Geneb

Guest Geneb

I am about to get my first grey and an anxious and have naturally read everything I can find. Everything points to the issues of retired hounds, separation anxiety, accidents, etc. She is just under three years old and in foster care now.

Relax!

A foster is generally easier. Of course all we talk about is problems with our hounds; we wouldn't need a post titled : HELP my hound is behaving like a gentleman!!!! :D

Wait until you get to know her, there will be an adjustment period, but you can definitely live through it like we all did and we will be here to help you if you have any questions along the way :)

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

What Cynthia said!

I worried so much before adopting Sweep (mainly about how she'd do with our two cats). She had just turned three and had been fostered for a few months. All went very smoothly and I felt silly for wasting so much mental energy. If you hit some bumps, you'll find all the info you need here and your adoption group will always be a resource.

Please keep us posted--and we'd love to see pictures, of course. :)

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

My second hound appeared to be terrified of everything, but walked up the three flights of stairs into my condo (no one taught him to do stairs, he just did it) and jumped on the couch, and has pretty much been laying there ever since! Relax. They're not all difficult at the beginning!

Edited by GeorgeofNE

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

At least they waited to spay her! Kali came to us straight off the track and she was spayed while in heat. Caused a bunch of medical issues during her first year with us.

Welcome to GreyTalk! Wish you the best with your new hound.

Drew and occasionally DW Melody, with Rosie (AMF Ready Made) and Marvin (Bella Riddick) in Louisville. Forever missing Brooks (KC Bastone) and Kali (Swish).

I also understand that they have to wait until she got spayed.

I remember reading every little bit of information I could get my hands on. I was so very prepared for my grey eventually wanting to eat small dog, screaming at the sight of bunnies, afraid of stairs, separation anxiety...

...than Col came and it turned out that he could not read....

He came home and that it was.... no trouble at all.

Edited by smurfette

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Guest Geneb

No, we do not have her yet, not until she is spayed and ready to travel (about 3 hour drive). Now I am more excited than anxious or nervous.

I'm like this with every new dog (and I'm on #s 6 and 7 now) -- half of me is so excited I can't wait, and the other half is "What have I done?" :lol Welcome to the wonderful world of greyhounds! Tell us about your new-girl-to-be! What does she look like? What made her the one?

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest Geneb

Still waiting. Seems like forever since we started. I'm sure it will be worth the wait. I think we have bought one of everything the pet stores have.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fannysmom

Our new grey has never raced either. I'm assuming it's because she's timid and submissive. I also saw a rabbit in the woods with her and she showed zero interest. Her prey drive is not high I suppose. I kinda like that.